Author Topic: Going back to the gym  (Read 4361 times)

Offline hertog88

• Bronze Member
  • I'm a bad, bad boy
What would you say is the safest bet to going back to the gyma nd doing chest or shoulder workouts?

Offline Ushta

• Posting Member
I'm interested to know too, I was thinking of not doing chest for a week at all and then start with very light weights. but yeah let's see what others think

Offline GynosaurusRex

• Posting Member
I was told 3 weeks to hit the weights. I don't know if I'd do 12 sets of chest after 3 weeks but to each his own.

Offline gambit10

• Posting Member
I started back at the gym after 10 days. I only worked arms and legs for the last 2 weeks. However I had no problems from the surgery, no bleeding , no bruising, almost no swelling. I realize I am probably the exception to the rule but I was in great shape when i had the surgery so that probably helped with the healing. I am still going to wait another week before doing chest or shoulders just to be on the safe side.

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
It would depend on how severe the original case was. My surgeon said it was fine after the wound was fully healed and as long as it didn't hurt. That's more the secret, if it hurts don't do it.

Don't be affraid to ask your surgeon either :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:49:34 PM by cecly »

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member
My surgeon (to be precise, his nurse) told me: *no* workout for the time I'm wearing the vest, that is...6 weeks !  All I can do is walk from point A to B.

Offline prodigy

• Posting Member
My doc gave me the ok for cardio after 3 weeks. I did cardio just about every day that week and started weights on the 4th weeks. (Only did 3 days of weight lifting back, shoulders, arms and I gave myself 1-2 days between each body part) This will be my 5th week and I will be  in full mode everything but chest...

I've noticed my swelling has gone down a lot this weekend and I'm at the 5 week mark... I think the vest will be coming off this week for good and substituted with under arm compression vest for my workouts.

Offline rick57

• Posting Member
Do you workout with the vest on?

Offline trojan213

• Bronze Member
I mean, it seems pretty intuitive that you wouldn't want to do any heavy chest work while you are still wearing the vest.

Even if your surgeon said 3 weeks, I'd probably wait until you have absolutely 0 pain, 0 swelling, and are out of the vest. And still, work into it. Don't load up a barbell with a ton of plates and start doing some deep wide-grip bench presses...

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member
I mean, it seems pretty intuitive that you wouldn't want to do any heavy chest work while you are still wearing the vest.

Even if your surgeon said 3 weeks, I'd probably wait until you have absolutely 0 pain, 0 swelling, and are out of the vest. And still, work into it. Don't load up a barbell with a ton of plates and start doing some deep wide-grip bench presses...

I totally agree.

Offline don_joe

• Silver Member
I just asked my PS about resuming exercises. He said I can do whatever I want starting 1 month post-op but I still have to wear that god dang vest for 2 weeks afterwards.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024