Author Topic: healing in older guys  (Read 3524 times)

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member
Hi all, i have been a visitor to this site for approx 2 months now and i have found a lot of the postings a great help at times.

Anyway to cut to the chase, i had some lipo done in Thailand 10 weeks ago and i am looking for some advise on healing (swelling ).  I am 45 years old and had approx 200mls removed  - in total.  My PS said my left breast was bigger than my right prior to surgery, however i had never previusly noticed. The thing is now my left is considerabley bigger than my right and i am hoping that eventually thing s may even out.

I really would like to know if anyone thinks that healing may take longer - to see results - in a guy of my age.

Thanks  :-/

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I'm over 40 and just had lipo and excision 7 weeks ago.  I'm healing at about an average rate according to the PS and by the looks of pictures I see on these boards.  Swelling is a factor and different people seem to experience different levels of swelling that can last for months.    If you only had lipo, though, it may be that the gland tissue is making one side look larger because lipo can't effectively remove gland.  If you could post some pictures it would be easier for us to give an opinion on your healing.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline The Real Deal

• Posting Member
  • Click below for my before and after shots!
Im just hitting 10 weeks and my right side was much larger than my left up until this past week.
I also started working out my chest, It seems like this made a difference. Another thing was I wore my compression vest for almost the first two months.
I think this is very important!
Good Luck, posting pictures would be a good idea.
P.S. Im 40 - is that an older guy? Im trying not to think so.
"The Real Deal" knows how you feel!

Offline SomeDude420

• Posting Member
some people have swelling for up to months!!?  does that include hematoma (or blood swelling, where the blood is very thick and unable to drain), or just regular swelling. I am hoping the latter, because i have a very large hematoma on my right side and i am 3 weeks post op.

Offline Mr_Nip

...P.S. Im 40 - is that an older guy? Im trying not to think so.

You're only as old as your attitude dictates.  ;)

Offline Mr_Nip

some people have swelling for up to months!!?  does that include hematoma (or blood swelling, where the blood is very thick and unable to drain), or just regular swelling. I am hoping the latter, because i have a very large hematoma on my right side and i am 3 weeks post op.

I'm 7 weeks post op and am still wearing a compression shirt for swelling control.  I'll be wearing it for at least several more weeks.  I don't know the specifics of swelling caused by hematoma but you may want to call your PS's office and ask.

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member
Hi Mr Nip, thanks for post.  

I only had lipo. However, I dont undrstand why gland tissue would make only one side look bigger??  Strange thing is i seem to have less fat and muscle on my right side now.  I am right handed though!!

Offline Mr_Nip

Hi Mr Nip, thanks for post.  

I only had lipo. However, I dont undrstand why gland tissue would make only one side look bigger??  Strange thing is i seem to have less fat and muscle on my right side now.  I am right handed though!!

It depends on what you mean by "bigger".  That's why I also said a picture would be helpful.  For example, bigger in the area around the areola with a puffier nipple would seem to be more indicative of more gland there.  If there's more on one side pre op, then taking away the fat around both sides would make the other one flatter and make the side with more gland stand out more in comparison.  This is just a guess based on an assumption, though.  

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Hi,

Well I must say it’s nice to see some other men in here who are around my own age.  I’m 50 and had surgery nearly 2 weeks ago, having had approx 200 of fat and 50 of gland removed from each side.

I’m full of tender lumps and bruises and my chest still looks a little like “no mans land” from a battle, but then I was told to expect that.  The surgeon I used makes small incisions at the front of the armpit and goes in from there and these areas are still swollen.  There was also a haematoma which is slowly going down but my feeling is that it still far too early to say how it will eventually turn out.  I do have one question though .. and that is when is it safe to start massaging some of these lumps?

Anyway, as I say, it’s good to see some other “oldies” posting on here  ;).

Good luck to us all.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member
Hi again Mr Nip,

I didnt have any gland removed, only fat by lipo.  When i say my left side is bigger i mean its generaly more rounded - my upper chest that is!

I really hope it is some kind of swelling.  The PS said because he took more from the left side it would take longer to stabalize.  However, i  think he got his sides mixed up, as i only had local anesthetic,  and i remember being suprised when he stopped on my left side  - as i thought he had spent longer on the right side.  Hope i am wrong though!

PS regards being older, i know 45 is not thought of as being old these days, but have you tried climbing a tree lately!!!

Offline Mr_Nip

If it's just bigger in the upper chest it sounds like you may have some lingering swelling.  I would hope your PS didn't get your sides mixed up.   Maybe you should contact the PS with your concerns.  

As for the tree thing, I prefer to not answer that question.   :-[

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member
Thanks for input MR Nip,

However, i cant get in touch with my PS. I had my surgery in Thailand and he never answers my emails and he is 'always busy' when i call'.  I suppose this goes to highlight the potential pitfalls of getting surgery overseas.  

Some say not to judge outcome untill 6 months! Can swelling really linger for months and months?  How can you tell if it is swelling?

PS  if your worried about the tree thing just try walking along a low wall (up to 2 ft) at first - though you may want to hold someones hand at first!!  ;)

Offline Mr_Nip

Too bad about the PS's limited availability.  Basically you can go see a more local PS and get a professional opinion or just wear a compressioin vest or shirt for another month or two and hope the swelling goes away over time.  Then you could see a PS about a second surgery if you feel it's necessary.  I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but I don't really see any other options.   The good news is that many PS's will see you for the first consultation visit for no charge.  

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member
I think i will end up having a revision with  a different PS.  I new instinctivley from the beginning that my PS got my sides mixed up during the op. I feel so so angry with him >:(

Then again they say time is a great healer so i'll give it up to 6 months before i make my final decision.  It is 3 months since  my op. on 15 th November.

At least i know now what i should have known proir to my op.

Anyone reading this and  considering surgery should remember to take nothing for granted with a PS.  I think my main advice would be this: if you dont like the guy or you feel uncomfortable with them, then  thats your instinct telling you this guys not for me.  You should feel free to ask all your questions and concerns without him feeling slighted!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024