Author Topic: Surgery with Dr Bermant.. A few quick questions  (Read 3708 times)

Offline pirate4225

• Posting Member
Hello Folks..  this is my first post in a very long time.

Thanks to all for being part of such a great resource. I have learned so much from this website!

I have made up my mind on getting gyno surgery  and have narrowed down dr Bermant as one of my top choices.  I am very interested in the remote discussion consulatation he has. I live overseas and only get off work for 3 weeks next year when I plan to have this surgery. Can anyone please tell me how this works?  Do you speak with him over the phone and then arrange a visit to consult? Or can you do all the consultation over the phone and then book a surgery right then and there?  Can anyone who has done the remote discussion breakdown the steps involved... I live overseas and the internet is super slow, getting this information can be like pulling teeth :)

Also, I know this questions has been asked a million times but how is the pain/mobility realistically after surgery (i.e. immediately after, 1 week, 2 weeks and a month??) Everyone on the board says it is akin to a tough workout session? 

I would say my case is relatively moderate, defintely some puffiness because of gland.  Would anyone know if Dr. Bermant makes a separate incision for lipo and to remove the gland?? Just curious about scars...

Thanks guys.. apologize in advance for asking these newbie questions.
PS. I am 26, 155 lbs., 5ft 7in, gyno in both moobs, had gyno since about 15.

Offline randomname

• Posting Member
He does have a remote consult package you should take advantage of. Your best bet is to call Jane. She is his office coordinator/manager. She is really nice and will answer every question you have -- deferring any that will be answered by a consultation.

I didn't do the remote package, so no input there. I do know a phone call will resolutely answer your questions fairly quickly.

Pain:
I just had the surgery so this I can provide some input.

Dr. Bermant advises his patients to stick to his post op care plan. This is just extra information for you to use to make the choice for surgery.

I had fairly extensive work done to my left pectoral area and moderate to heavy work done on my right pectoral area. There was a severe disparity between the two. I was in a little pain the immediate few days thereafter. That said, you may not even need any pain medication. I only took a couple lortab 5/500 (day after) and about 5 or 6 tylenol. I figure my resistance to pain medication is low -- I rarely ever use them. Two of the tylenol I took to mitigate the slight pain for driving since steering seems to be heavily reliant on the chest =(. 1 to get my car day of surgery. 1 right before getting in the car to drive home 2 days after surgery.

It does feel like a heavy workout. If you are familiar with Chest Hammers -- the pain might equal pushing yourself 2 full sets beyond your limit. (Used this allusion in my post-op post)

Those things said, I am pleased how little pain was then, and how little I have now. If you lift your arms above your head a lot don't expect to do so for a while.

I'm now one week post op and the only pain comes from direct pressure to the affected areas. So naturally, you'll want to avoid walking into doors, poking, jumping down stairs. Basically, anything that would hurt after a hard chest workout. =) I can't lift my arms much above my lower chest line -- I've not really tried but once for my post-op pictures at the behest of the doc.

Onto scars:
I believe my incision was done just under the areola -- so 1 incision -- but for you it could be different if he has to adapt to your body structure to achieve desired results. 6 months generally tends to be the lifeline of scar care. Unless you have a particular question, I think its best to just ask Dr. Bermant because I know only what he has told me. Its always best to go directly to the source of information. Plus, your dealing with more than surface scarring.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 06:43:43 PM by randomname »

DrBermant

Hello Folks..  this is my first post in a very long time.

Thanks to all for being part of such a great resource. I have learned so much from this website!

I have made up my mind on getting gyno surgery  and have narrowed down dr Bermant as one of my top choices.  I am very interested in the remote discussion consulatation he has. I live overseas and only get off work for 3 weeks next year when I plan to have this surgery. Can anyone please tell me how this works?  Do you speak with him over the phone and then arrange a visit to consult? Or can you do all the consultation over the phone and then book a surgery right then and there?  Can anyone who has done the remote discussion breakdown the steps involved... I live overseas and the internet is super slow, getting this information can be like pulling teeth :)

Also, I know this questions has been asked a million times but how is the pain/mobility realistically after surgery (i.e. immediately after, 1 week, 2 weeks and a month??) Everyone on the board says it is akin to a tough workout session? 

I would say my case is relatively moderate, defintely some puffiness because of gland.  Would anyone know if Dr. Bermant makes a separate incision for lipo and to remove the gland?? Just curious about scars...

Thanks guys.. apologize in advance for asking these newbie questions.
PS. I am 26, 155 lbs., 5ft 7in, gyno in both moobs, had gyno since about 15.

Many of our patients start with our Preliminary Remote Discusion to minimize travel to Richmond.  Jane is my office manager and can describe the process.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

I have worked hard to evolve my techniques to maximize my patients' Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery.  Although I prescribe a strong pain medication, my patients typically tell me that plain tylenol alone is more than enough for their comfort.

I like to hide the incision at the edge of the areola, it is a great place to fool the eye and hide the scar.  You can see many examples in this series of Nipple Areola Picture Gallery Before and After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline pirate4225

• Posting Member
Thanks! Wow a lot of great information on that website.

Thanks so much

DrBermant

Thanks! Wow a lot of great information on that website.

Thanks so much

:D

Thank you!

I just looked it up, my website is quickly approaching its 12th birthday this month.  12 years of on the web patient education and it is approaching 1500 pages and tens of thousands of before, during, and after surgery pictures and movies.

That made me pause for a moment thinking of the time put in so far, and yet so much more to do!

Offline mizuno

• Gold Member
Dr. Bermant do you plan to put up some more videos showing the surgery or how about a video of your in house consultation ?
Thanks as always and congrats on your website.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024