Author Topic: UK NHS embargo?  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Olleh

So I finally got round to getting checked out on the NHS after 7 years. My GP referred me to a consultant at the john radcliffe in oxford and that was today, I was told that i definatly had gynecomastia and they recommended surgery but told me that the NHS has put an embargo on paying for operations on boys breasts for some reason... The consultant (M Greenall) is to advise my GP on trying to plea my case but i'm not getting my hopes up :/

Offline 15ineedhelp

• Bronze Member
I think the NHS changes from area to area.
There are many people on this site that have had surgery from the NHS..
Tell your GP to refer you too someone else.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

I'm sad to say that I doubt there will be many of us surprised by that.  I guess the more the condition becomes known about, the more closet sufferers are seeing their GPs and asking for surgery.

Two years ago I resigned myself to paying for surgery privately but my GP did refer me back to the local breast surgeon to see if he would offer it.  I had no intention of using this surgeon as he didn’t have the experience of gyne correction but I went along to see what he would say.  I was told in no uncertain terms that his job was to fight breast cancer and he didn’t have the funds or the resources for gyne surgery.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline chester101

• Posting Member
Hi Olleh,

I don't think there's a national embargo, as I had surgery on the NHS only last week at Addenbrookes in Cambridge. Probably a case of postcode lottery, as previously said. Can't you go back and argue how important it is to you that you get the surgery, due to the severe psychological effects the condition has?

Good luck with the NHS route, I hope it will work out...

Offline orion5

• Posting Member
I had mine nine days ago, i haven't heard anything about an embargo?

Offline Olleh

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if they do it near Durham which is where i go to uni? Might be able to get seen there.

Offline gynomakesmesad

• Bronze Member
I find that disgusting. I read that Women ex-anorexia sufferers get breast implants on the NHS. Why should that be any different?

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
I find that disgusting. I read that Women ex-anorexia sufferers get breast implants on the NHS. Why should that be any different?

We could save the NHS a few bob .. they could give them our boobs.  Two birds with one stone so to speak. ;D

Offline gynomakesmesad

• Bronze Member
hahaha lol

Offline Spadge47

hey olleh. i'm from oxford and ive had exactly the same response from the NHS.

i've appealed but my mam sed not to get my hopes up

£4500 for private at the manor hospital

Offline RUI

• Posting Member
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if they do it near Durham which is where i go to uni? Might be able to get seen there.

Darlington or Bishop Auckland same surgeon. Dr Brookstein (Special interest in Breast Surgery)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:14:27 PM by RUI »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024