Author Topic: Time to sort out Surgery, all opinions welcome  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member

Hi All,

I've finally come to the decision to have surgery done. 

Having had my hyperhidrosis taking care of (excess underarm sweating) by an operation a couple of years ago, this has made the Gyne worse due to the scarring/skin stretching and the chest becoming less taunt than before. 

Now if you want to see scars/what happens when stitches fail after sections were cut out to cure the condition, i have some, but they're not pleasant!!!   I'm not concerned about people seeing scars, it's much better than dripping sweat 24/7.  As I’m in my 30's now, I’ve picked up a few wounds from playing sport, all adds to the character anyway..

However on the positive side, I don't have to throw loads of clothes away through staining, and can wear dark coloured tops without white deodorant marks :) 

I'm getting married next April, and plan on having the Surgery in September when I’ve some time booked off, looking at the board, it should be enough time for it to have mostly settled for my new Caribbean 'beach body'.  Always used the excuse of not liking sunbathing for staying in the shade in a shirt for too long now!!!

I've trolled over the board in the past few weeks, and welcome any comments/advice on good/bad experiences.  Once I’ve filtered them down, I’ll come up with who/where I have it done.  I don't see distance or going abroad an issue, as I travel a lot though work anyway. 

Aldo Gucci once said - The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.

So whilst price is not the deciding factor, Value for Money - Results Vs Price has to be in the mix.  As looking through, no Surgeon has or will ever achieve 100% satisfaction, everyone's condition and body is different, and personal perception differs on results.  It's how things are remedied (If required) that makes the experience.

I've had a few ops before (Not Gyne one's), so I’m not worried about the scalpel or any bruising, I’ve been there already, read the book etc, etc.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Bigdom

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
Hi and welcome :)
Your best bet is to get a consultation with a few gyne surgeons and go with the one you feel happy with.
Have you had the blood tests to show that this isnt your hormones?
And finally, how willing are you to travel? as there are routes you can go in spain and in poland and other countrys also :)
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

So whilst price is not the deciding factor, Value for Money - Results Vs Price has to be in the mix.  As looking through, no Surgeon has or will ever achieve 100% satisfaction, everyone's condition and body is different, and personal perception differs on results.  It's how things are remedied (If required) that makes the experience.
Hi Bigdom,

I think you have covered most angles and have a pretty realistic attitude for your impending surgery which is good.  Some people don’t have realistic expectations.

I would fully support what NOTFEDUP has said in his reply to you.

The only point I would add, and it is something you touched on, is the absolute requirement to ask a Plastic Surgeon at the initial consultation what, if any, charges there would be should a revision be required.  Some surgeons will charge again.  Other surgeons will do their “bit” for free but you have to pay anaesthetists and hospital charges (which can run to over a £1000).  A few surgeons (Paul Levick is one) will not charge anything at all (all costs will be covered).  Surgery costs will vary from surgeon to surgeon and from country to country so it really is a case of you pays your money and you makes your choice (and takes your chances).

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do and how you get on.  :)

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member

I haven't had blood tests done, though i've had the condition for over 15yrs, so would assume it's not a hormone issue (It started late teens).

In recent years i've had full blood tests run, and nothing abnormal has ever been mentioned in these levels, although i could always get it checked out?

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

If your gyne appeared in your teens, has never gotten any worse then I think it highly likely that your hormones have settled themselves down naturally after their initial imbalance which caused it in the first place.  However it wouldn’t do any harm to pop along to your GP and tell him/her that you are having surgery and want to be sure that there aren’t any underlying causes outstanding and could they run a check on the following.

•   Testosterone
•   Luteinizing Hormone (LH)
•   Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
•   Oestradiol (E2)
•   Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG)
•   Triiodothyronine (T3)
•   Thyroxine (T4)
•   Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH)
•   A calculation of your Free Androgen Index (FAI)

It’s can all be done by a simple blood test.  There is a chance they will say you are being over cautious and not do it, but I think it wouldn’t do any harm to ask.  They talk a lot about preventative medicine these days so let’s see if they practice it.

If and when you get the all clear, you can feel reasonably confident that the damn things won't regrow after surgery.   :)

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member

Cool, thanks for that, always like going armed with information!  :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024