Author Topic: questions before I go to the dr.  (Read 1845 times)

Offline gust

• Posting Member
I'm twenty-five years old and I was overweight as a teen.  My chest has been flabby ever since despite having lost the weight.  I'm not sure if it's plain fat or actual gyne; whatever it is, it is fairly mild.  About a year ago, I went to see my regular doctor about it.  She examined me and said it looked normal and that sometimes people just develop fat in certain places more than others.  She said I might want to do some push-ups or something, which, as I've learned from this site, is something I should stay away from.  So, now I'm not even sure if I can trust her medical opinion on the subject.  I'm going back to see her this week and I want to be prepared.  Here's my questions for you guys:
1.)  Is there any way of telling, (ultrasound?) whether or not I have gland tissue or just fat?
2.)  If it is just fat, will exercise ever make it go away? 
3.)  If I wanted to get surgery, would the risk of complication go up, seeing as how it's rather mild and I'm fairly skinny to begin with?
4.)  How do I find a good surgeon in my area?  Is it worth a hundred mile trip to go to one of the surgeons listed on this site?
5.)  Does anyone know whether or not Medicare or Medicaid will cover the cost of surgery?
6.)  If my doctor tells me the same thing as last time, who should I see for a second opinion?  I'd rather not see a surgeon  if my insurance won't cover the consult.  Would an endocrinologist have more knowledge on the subject?  Or how should I find a physician with more gyneducation?

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline gust

• Posting Member
Thanks for the input shynner; I'll definitely consider the trip then.  As for doing my research, that's what I'm here for.  But I am very serious about doing something about this, and if surgery is the route I have to take, so be it.  But I would first like to know all there is to know about it before I talk to a surgeon and start spending money I don't have: whether I have a hormone imbalance, medication side effects, whether there's actual gland there or not and, if not, what to do about it, or maybe I'm even overreacting and should seek help for bdd, (I don't think so, but if I hear that from a doctor who knows what they're talking about, I might consider it.)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024