Author Topic: Massaging  (Read 5884 times)

Offline harry123

• Posting Member
Hi , just wondering if any of Mr Levicks past patients can give me a little info on massaging like how many times a day and for how long and general stuff like that, would appreciate all responses.

- Best thing I ever did was get it off my chest ;D ;D

Harry

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
This question comes up from time to time so I would suggest you do a search on here.  This is a useful link to start you off.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,1212.msg10234.html#msg10234

Levick told me to start massaging 1 month post op.  He said to massage gently using the palm of my hand and to do it for 2 or 3 minutes twice a day on each side.  If you are unsure give him a call.  He is always happy to see or speak to patients post surgery and it's all free  ;D

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
massaging is always a important part of the healing process.
so always make sure you massage :)
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

Offline harry123

• Posting Member
Thanks for your replies guys. Did it today for first time feels kind of strange, guess it a case of persistence and time :)

Harry

Offline bedders

• Posting Member
I've got to say I didn't do any massaging and don't have any scar tissue, am now 18 months post op. Maybe I was just lucky :o

Offline harry123

• Posting Member
I have been massaging now for a few days, 3 times a day and 3 minutes each side, its starting to get a bit sore and im not sure if im being to rough with it or not as the scar tissue doesnt really seem to be shifting. Was wondering if anyone could give me some feed back would be much appreiciated.

Harry

Offline IT100

• Gold Member
  • Gyne Removed by Levick 17/03/04
I read Paula Radcliffs autobiography. And in there she talks about having massage on her, where scar tissue had built up around her injuries... she said it was so painfull that she would spend the whole session in tears. So maybe you should be very very rough...

I massaged, I have scar tissue... lol Maybe I wasn't rough enough!

Ian

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

I did a lot of massaging in the early months.  I actually over did it on one side and had to leave off for a few weeks so take a little care, however it does make a difference I’m sure.  It's all in the diary and others too if you fancy having a browse.  Like you at first not much seemed to happen, but then after a month or so I found that the scar tissue softened at the end of the massaging session.  It would harden up again overnight and the next massaging session would soften it again.  Slowly I found that it would soften more quickly and then eventually it gave up the fight and stayed soft.

Nine months down the line if I find a bit of a hard lump in the area, a couple of seconds is enough to sort it out.

Offline harry123

• Posting Member
Thanks for your comments, also did you use anything on your skin while massaging because it hurts a bit without any lubrication, not sure if that is the right word for this circumstance:P like any certain cream or somthing?

Harry

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

Yep,

I started off with ordinary moisturiser until my g/f complained I was using her expensive stuff.  I read somewhere that cocoa butter was good so I switched to that.  It was cheap and was recommended for helping scar tissue. You end up smelling like a Cadburys cream egg but it was autumn and winter when I was healing so I didn’t care. 

Offline uk2000

• Why Meeee!!
i just like to add when massaging, if u do it 2 early u can do more harm than good.  as everything is still healing rubbing it to much can aggrevate the internal tissues in yr chest.
my advice is let yr chest settle down after the op, then after 5-6 weeks post op start with gentle massaging, and then build it up as the weeks go past producing a more harder massage...    Patience is they key...
July 04 - Gland removal + liposuction- Adriaan Grobbelaar. Results: Terrible
Feb 05 - Lipo Revision- Alex Karidis.
Nov 05 - Gland + Lipo- Alex Karidis.
Jun 06 - LHS gland + Lipo - Alex Karidis.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
i just like to add when massaging, if u do it 2 early u can do more harm than good.  as everything is still healing rubbing it to much can aggrevate the internal tissues in yr chest.
my advice is let yr chest settle down after the op, then after 5-6 weeks post op start with gentle massaging, and then build it up as the weeks go past producing a more harder massage...    Patience is they key...

Wise words from UK2000 above.

If you read my diary you will see that although I didn’t start until 4 weeks post op I over did it on 1 side.  There were a couple of times during the first 6 months that I had to stop massaging one side because I was laying into it a little too hard and the whole thing became swollen again.

Offline harry123

• Posting Member
well i am 4 1/2 weeks post op but i will leave it for another week till it stops hurting when i rub it and then gently start doing it, and i will get that coco stuff going to be walking around greece smelling like a cadburys cream egg:D , thanks for you replies glad i posted and didnt keep overdoing it and cause any harm.

Best reguards Harry

Offline IT100

• Gold Member
  • Gyne Removed by Levick 17/03/04
Does anyone think that if I masssaged my scar tissue... bearing in mind it's been there over 3 years now... It would soften up and go too? Or have I left it farrrr to late.

I did massage in the beginning... but I think it was a bit of a half hearted affair!

Ian

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Does anyone think that if I masssaged my scar tissue... bearing in mind it's been there over 3 years now... It would soften up and go too? Or have I left it farrrr to late.

I did massage in the beginning... but I think it was a bit of a half hearted affair!

Ian

If you still have it, then give it a go.

Don’t quote me on this but I read somewhere that massaging speeds up the removal of scar tissue.  The article or post I read said it would go on its own without massaging but would just take a longer.  Maybe that is wrong and the only way to sort it is to massage it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024