Author Topic: Do I need to see my doc first?  (Read 3465 times)

Offline Toby1971

• Posting Member
Hi everyone

I'm a 36 yr old male and while I have never really had a perfect chest (always had kinda puffy nips) about 6 years ago I started to take propecia then moved onto Avodart. These drugs I beleive have "helped" me develop gyne. I have stopped taking them for about 6 weeks now.

I am thinking about booking a consultation with Levick with a view to getting the op.

My initial question is do I really need to go and see my own GP first? I am pretty sure it is these drugs that have caused the problem, so I would rather miss out this stage of the process if possible. What do you guys think?

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
My initial question is do I really need to go and see my own GP first? I am pretty sure it is these drugs that have caused the problem, so I would rather miss out this stage of the process if possible. What do you guys think?

The simple answer to your question is no.  If you are considering surgery privately then you do not need a referral or the support of your GP.  In fact your GP doesn’t even need to know about it.

However, I would say that first you need to be sure that your hormones have settled back into a normal balance after you stopped taking Propecia and Avodart and this can take some time.  The last thing you want would be for your boobs to re-grow after surgery.  You are quite possibly correct to say it was these drugs that caused your problem, but you cannot be sure, so either way getting an examination and some blood tests done would, I think, be a good idea.

Given what you have said, I think you have 3 options:

1.   You could go to your GP and explain your situation that you are wanting to have surgery but would like him to run a hormone profile on you to be sure that things have settled.  He will either do the exam and tests himself on the NHS and therefore for free or refer you onto an Endocrinologist.  If you use your GP he is also there and informed, for any little complications that may arise after surgery (stitch problems and maybe draining if you can’t easily get to Levick).

2.   You could see an Endo privately and have the exam and tests run and miss out your GP completely.  You will have to find your own Endo of course.  Get back to us if you choose this option as there are a few around but they aren't cheap.

3.   You could take the gamble and go straight to a private surgeon like Levick and have the surgery.

I personally used the NHS to check me out and had the surgery privately.  My GP was very supportive and did help me out when one of the stitches became a nuisance afterwards.  I live 200 miles from Levick so it was simpler to pop down the road to my GP.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Toby1971

• Posting Member
Thanks for the response. Some valid points. If the GP does refer me to an endo, is this still via NHS, and if so how long would I need to wait to get the tests/results?

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

The GP should be able to carry out the testicular examination and take the blood himself.  It’s all very basic and simple stuff.  I would guess a week to 10 days would be long enough for the results to come back.  If all the results come back as normal and healthy, then I don’t imagine you will be referred onto an Endo.  If you do get referred onto an Endo by the GP then yes it will be on the NHS.  As to how long that might take ... well how long is a piece of string (if you know what I mean)?

It is purely a precautionary thing to get the physical exam and the blood tests done but one I think well worthwhile.  It is your insurance policy that, if you decide to have surgery, then they shouldn’t grow back because of an undiscovered underlying cause.

Offline turningacorner

• Silver Member
u'll need a GP's referral

so u`ll have to see him at some point, I tried to egt it on the NHS but they would rather spend the money on cancer patients which is fair enough, gyne won't kill me.

u could see a surgeon but u`ll have to pay a fee!

and if he asks u to get a gp's referral, what if ur doc wants u to try some medication first? Then u`ll see surgeon again and have to pay again.

Speak to the doc first ;)

Offline Albion71

• Bronze Member
Hi Toby1971,

Interested to read of your experiences, as I've also been taking Avodart/Finasteride for 6 years or so, and funnily enough, I'm also 36 (well, next week).

However, I've had no side effects at all. I did once get some pain in my chest area after taking Spironolactone orally for about 6 weeks, but gave that up pretty sharpish, and it made a negligible difference to the gyno problem I already had.

The Endo test does seem like a safe idea though.

Offline Toby1971

• Posting Member
Well I went to see my GP today. Wasn't overly impressed with his knowledge on the subject I have to say (not surprised though).

He basically said that he will write to the Endo people to seek advice re hormone issues etc, and would write to me with their response in 3-4 weeks.

He would not do a blood test himself.

He was almost certain that the drugs had caused it (which I agree with).

He told me that the gyne would eventually fade now that Ive stopped the drugs, but that it may take months (Hmm really?)

He said that he doubted any plastic surgeon would treat me considering that I had only stopped taking these drugs 10 weeks ago.

He said that there was no way I could get the OP done on the NHS.

So...I basically have 2 choices now the way I see it. Sit back & wait for the letter in 3-4 weeks, or just go ahead with the consultation with Levick regardless.

Maybe I should wait, but to be honest I'm getting a little bit impatient. What do you guys think?

GynO_DuDe

Go with Levick.

Dont waste time like I did ... I could of had my operation when I was 19 but I wasted a year waiting on the NHS ...

To top it off, my doc was uneducated on the subject and his first response after seeing my chest was don't worry son, your not a girl ... that was the last thing on my mind. I knew more about Gynecomastia then he did. I told him about the condition, then he was like fair enough i'll recommend you to a plastic surgeon, and when I went to see the surgeon months later he saw me with a trainee female (how inconsiderate knowing that its such an embarassing problem). I then waiting months expecting to next see the surgeon on the operating day, well I ended up writing a letter 6 months later asking when he intended to perform the operation, he replied saying im sorry but the consultation I had with you wasn't even written down on paper and he apologised.

As soon as that happened, one phone call to Levick, consultation the next day, and operation 2 weeks after. In all within 3 weeks im post op.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024