Author Topic: movement of arms - post op  (Read 4494 times)

Offline outshined

• Bronze Member
so looks like 2 more days til my surgery... wow

another question if anyone can help... how much movement should i expect to have in my arms right after surgery and the day following?

like i know the less movement the better for recovery but will i be able to feed myself?! lol

Offline outshined

• Bronze Member
ok thats good to know.    wasn't sure just how useless i really would be this week... i imagine showering will be the hardest... i heard in another thread that someone just used one of those outdoor plastic type stools in the tub to help him out.

how bout lifting? like many beers the weekend following surgery?  ??? :)

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
You can do basic things like that, & drive & such after the second day, but you should not raise them overhead or lift any significant weights for at least 3-4 weeks.

Did you just say don't raise your arms overhead for at least 4 weeks?

Offline wildman

• Posting Member
Good post Maywest. 

This is an issue that I have seen discussed many times about the post op phase.  I am considering surgery soon and have thought about how to get through the first few days regarding my own situation.  I would like to keep it as discreet as possible.  I would like to know how you shower and specifically how can you wash your hair if you can't raise you arms?  I don't want to cause myself any problems.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:30:57 PM by wildman »

Offline outshined

• Bronze Member
a lot of it for me is how dependent i need to be on my help during the first week..  i dont think i have any support vests of anything with dr. haugard in calgary. i think he just leaves you with drains in and then takes those out after about a week.   so i could see maybe needing help with the drains

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
so how long until you can move around normally and don't have to look like a weirdo just to scratch the back of your head?

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
Also, if you're living on your own, how the hell do you do stuff like carry grocery bags to you car and whatnot?  I didn't know you're this immobilized after surgery for so long.

Offline outshined

• Bronze Member
i went yesterday... got enough for at least a week

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Also, if you're living on your own, how the hell do you do stuff like carry grocery bags to you car and whatnot?  I didn't know you're this immobilized after surgery for so long.

Immobilized?  Not!... Speaking from personal experience, not that I had to, but I could have carried grocery bags. Think about it... the load is being put on your arm, not your chest. Sure, you'll have 'limited' movement with your arms, but you won't be an 'upper body invalid'. You'll be able to do most things you could pre-op. Just take it slow and easy, no strenuous physical activities, no over-head reaching/stretching and you'll be fine...

However, if you still have a concern about lifting/carrying stuff with a bit of weight, then do as 'outshined' suggested... get it all done before you go in for the procedure.  ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024