Author Topic: Drinking alcohol prior to OP  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Toby1971

• Posting Member
Just a quick question on the beers! I have my works xmas night out 4 days before my surgery (bad timing I know).

Now I have no plans to get drunk or anything, but I was hoping I could have 3 or 4 beers.

What do you guys think? The letter from Karidis's office states no alcohol for 2 weeks prior to surgery. If thats the case then so be it, but I was just wondering if this was them being very cautious as it is a form letter they send to all patients of different ages etc.

I am a healthy non-smoker who usually drinks between 4-6 beers every week over a friday/saturday (don't drink during the week at all).

Any opinions?

Offline outertrial

News to me. I was told not to drink a week after the op though when I mentioned that I was then on holiday in Barcelona and Id quite like to Dr Benito said one or two was ok. I decided he meant pints. :) Different practitioners have different opinions on these things. Im still here to tell the tale anyway.

Offline outertrial

It don't matter don't worry, it's only the day before you should avoid alchohol.

You only drink 4-6 beers over friday and saturday?....jeez,you sound like a real wild one,high time you calmed yourself down  :-\

You're out of line. He has a legitimate question about pre-op preparation which he is entitled to ask without someone criticising him because they dont think he drinks enough 'to be cool'.

I understand from your previous posts that you think you're posts are funny or something. To be honest, mate, you're about as funny as a yeast infection.

By the way, excessive alcohol consumption contributes to gyne, good work.

Offline outertrial

Drinking a lot of beer makes you fat??

Really? Wow i never knew that,thanks.

And please stop following around these boards,go and stalk someone else pls.

Drinking alcohol contributes to liver damage, decreases in testosterone and increases in oestrogen; and is linked to breast development in men. Its nothing to do with being fat.

You can keep being wrong and Ill keep correcting you.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:53:48 AM by outertrial »

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Just a quick question on the beers! I have my works xmas night out 4 days before my surgery (bad timing I know).

Now I have no plans to get drunk or anything, but I was hoping I could have 3 or 4 beers.

What do you guys think? The letter from Karidis's office states no alcohol for 2 weeks prior to surgery. If thats the case then so be it, but I was just wondering if this was them being very cautious as it is a form letter they send to all patients of different ages etc.

I am a healthy non-smoker who usually drinks between 4-6 beers every week over a friday/saturday (don't drink during the week at all).

Any opinions?

I would follow the advice you are given by your surgeon.

I was given similar advice regarding leaving out booze, garlic and some chinese food prior to and after surgery.  My understanding is that booze and garlic affect the way the blood clots; that is it makes it more difficult for it to clot and therefore makes you bleed more.  The last thing you want is to start bleeding excessively during or post surgery.  My surgeon quoted me an example of a patient who had sucessful surgery and a couple of days later hit the booze and got himself a nasty haematoma.

There are a number of things that can go wrong with gyne surgery and I wanted as many of the "odds" stacked in my favour as possible, so I followed the advice I was given.

Of course it's up to you what you do, but I'd suggest you make it an informed choice rather than crossing your fingers and hoping for the best.

Good luck with your surgery though and keep us posted as to how you get on.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024