Author Topic: NHS Pickle  (Read 3533 times)

Offline equium

• Bronze Member
Hey

This just echos what newmanby30 as we're in a sort of similar position. I am seeing a surgeon on the NHS, following up from my liposuction I had, which hasn't improved things whatsoever. Let's say he does offer gland excision, should I take him up on it? I know he's a very good surgeon, who works privately too and nurses have told me how he does some amazing work. But I called his secretary today and since Jan 08, he's done 8 op's on people with gynecomastia privately (and i'm guessing it wont be much more than that including NHS work too) but overall as a surgeon, he's done over 100 gyne operations.

I've seen Levick and he's happy to operate (obviously) so I'm stuck as to what to do! I could save almost £4000 on NHS but Levick probably does 8 gyne ops in a week rather than 3 months. But does that really matter? Has my NHS guy learned all there is to gyne surgery in the 100 or so ops he has done and the rest is down to a bit of luck and how my body heals?

I know it's a pretty repetitive topic about whether to go NHS or not but I have to ask you guys as there's no one better to ask!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline newmanby30

• Posting Member
Hi there,

Its comforting to know we are in similar predicaments, although I am sorry to hear that the wrong procedure was carried out and you now need follow up surgery.

Was it ever discussed in your consultation that excision was an option? With me, I am quite slim but then have these two "protrusions" that put my body out of proportion. Its clear that these are not just fat, but harder tissue that needs to be properly cut out.

If your NHS surgeon has a good reputation then I would stick to the offer of revision with him. Its unfortunate that they didn't identify the correct surgery in the first place - did he press the areas to see what the tissue was like? How soon do you think you could get the new date for surgery?

I wish you all the best - I guess you probably want to hear from people who have actually been operated on rather than myself...I completely agree that its nerve wracking to put your body in the hands of people who are not performing this procedure particularly often - but you must also remember that we have one of the best health services going... they are skilled and like you say, many surgeons also perform surgery privately too....

Let us know how you get on
Newman

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member
I would say my surgeon was probably the same. he didnt do these ops each and every day, but he still knew what he was doing. I was dealt with by the plastics and burns department, noone in there at the time was having the same op as me, yet even all the nurses seemed to know all about the condition and knew what they were looking at and knew all about my post op care. I have had every faith in the nhs all the way through from consultation to today.
Did the surgeon give you the impression of experience, or did he seem to be unsure during the consultation? Did he discuss excision or did he tell you it would be lipo only again?

If you read up, theres a lot of people who are unhappy with levick, it seems hes gone the other way nd its more of a production line conveyor belt at his place and hes actually taking less time over his patients. Of course, im only speaking of other people experience, i havent actually met him, and there are just as many, or more people saying he did a fantastic job.

so i would say, its going to come down to what your surgeon said, and how confident you feel in him/her.

Offline kingboob

If you read up, theres a lot of people who are unhappy with levick, it seems hes gone the other way nd its more of a production line conveyor belt at his place and hes actually taking less time over his patients. Of course, im only speaking of other people experience, i havent actually met him, and there are just as many, or more people saying he did a fantastic job.

so i would say, its going to come down to what your surgeon said, and how confident you feel in him/her.

Nonsense, I just had an arm-lift and tummy-tuck revision with Paul Levick yesterday, he has also done my gynecomastia.   Production line? conveyor belt? bullsh1t, the Man has all the time in the world to answer any concerns you may have pre & post operation, if you haven't met the guy you can not comment on how much time he takes over his patients................  most people on here bitching about various surgeons (not just Levick), have wildly unrealistic expectations and quite frankly wouldn't be happy if they woke up with the chest of  25 year old  body builder and a 12inch wang extension.

I was speaking with Mr. Levick about all sorts of nonsense before I had my arm lift and revisions yesterday, and he was saying he has a special interest in gyne, performing 150 operations or more each year, ~I would take that over the 8 operations some NHS doctor performs a year.

Anyway, I just could not recommend the BMI or Mr Levick highly enough.... he does 150 ops a year on gyne alone... yeah he probably chucks out the occasional poor result which requires a redo/revision, but he is a human being not a fuck1ng robot, he is also man of his word and will stand by the free revisions package.......... however I think it is highly unlikely you would be needing a revision for a standard case of gyne, as long as you make your requirements 100% clear and you are prepared for the long / frustrating healing period.

Don't expect to have the op on monday and be back to normal on friday.... don't work like that.

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member
bullshit?

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=13328.0

no. read the first post. Like i said, im speaking of other people experiences, not my own. and i was giving both sides of the argument, some people, like you, love his work, some dont. same with the nhs and every other surgeon. I wasnt trying to offend people or start an argument, merely commenting on what ive read.

the point i was trying to make is that each persons case is individual, and people shouldnt fear the nhs due to one or two bad experiences
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:46:07 AM by barclay »

Offline kingboob

bullshit?

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=13328.0

no. read the first post. Like i said, im speaking of other people experiences, not my own. and i was giving both sides of the argument, some people, like you, love his work, some dont. same with the nhs and every other surgeon. I wasnt trying to offend people or start an argument, merely commenting on what ive read.

The point is I am posting my own personal experience and opinion on a particular surgeon, where as you are just repeating what you have read, which is quite often 2nd hand information anyway.......  As you say you have not even met the guy, so your opinion on him means squat. 

I am (along with most other people...) quite capable of reading the forums and using the search function, I have read and commented on the post you linked too already....

Quote from: barclay
If you read up, theres a lot of people who are unhappy with levick, it seems hes gone the other way nd its more of a production line conveyor belt at his place and hes actually taking less time over his patients

^^^ That is what I mainly object too, conveyor belt, less time over patients, etc etc, how the hell would you know if you have never been to the hospital in question?

EDIT:
Blah, I am probably going over board with my rantings on this particular topic, however I just personally feel Mr Levick has invested a lot of his time & effort into getting me sorted out after my weight loss, where as the NHS completely failed me (bar one surgeon would could have done some of it, but for funding issues), and to see people posting complete crap about the man with no actual personal involvement / experience to back it up is a bit annoying to say the least...................... 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:39:53 AM by kingboob »

Offline barclay

• Bronze Member
Sometimes i wonder why i post on this board. It seems to turn into a flame war everytime someone posts something someone else disagrees with. Its supposed to be a support forum

Read this part

pay attention to the bold part ...... at no point did i say "this is the gospel thruth, levick is bad, everyone says so mmmkay"

im summarizing. Yes people can read the boards, but people want answers to their questions if they post a thread and i was giving one

i apologise to the original poster about the way this thread has turned, i hope youve been able to glean an answer from all thats been posted here and wish you well in which ever option you choose
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:51:16 AM by barclay »

Offline equium

• Bronze Member
So I saw my surgeon today - super nice guy but basically, no surgery. He said that he doesnt feel he could make a cosmetic improvement relative to the risks of the nipples sticking to underlying tissues, causing concavity.

I said to him that I saw Levick (who he said is actually a general surgeon, rather than a plastic surgeon which I found interesting) and that it was up to me obviously whether to pay and have the op done. But he said the margin for a bad result is quite high.

What was also interesting is that he said he couldn't feel a breast disc (i.e. gland) so I asked him why i had puffy nipples and he said because there may have been a breast disc present before but not anymore.

I'm really confused as to what to do. I trust the NHS surgeon, he's got lots of experience in comestic surgery and I asked him that if I came to him privately, what that would mean and he replied 'nothing'. So my head is saying leave it and get on with life but my heart is saying go for it with Levick...AAAHHH!!

Offline kingboob

So I saw my surgeon today - super nice guy but basically, no surgery. He said that he doesnt feel he could make a cosmetic improvement relative to the risks of the nipples sticking to underlying tissues, causing concavity.

I said to him that I saw Levick (who he said is actually a general surgeon, rather than a plastic surgeon which I found interesting) and that it was up to me obviously whether to pay and have the op done. But he said the margin for a bad result is quite high.

What was also interesting is that he said he couldn't feel a breast disc (i.e. gland) so I asked him why i had puffy nipples and he said because there may have been a breast disc present before but not anymore.

I'm really confused as to what to do. I trust the NHS surgeon, he's got lots of experience in comestic surgery and I asked him that if I came to him privately, what that would mean and he replied 'nothing'. So my head is saying leave it and get on with life but my heart is saying go for it with Levick...AAAHHH!!

It sounds a bit like you were fobbed off to be honest. I don't see how your nipples can still be puffy or whatever if there is no longer and tissue present; that does not make any sense at all.     

Your surgeon said HE doesn't feel HE could make any improvements, other surgeons / doctors may feel differently? - I mean I assume your GP sent you to this consult, so he must feel something can be done?

As for Levick... well I am happy with what I had done, and I believe (from what he told me), he did start out life as a general surgeon, but then went on to work / train in plastic surgery at the National Hospital for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery................. one quick google search will show you he is a fully qualified consultant plastic surgeon.

My guess is they can't / wont fund your op on the NHS... but the surgeon can't be seen to be saying he COULD improve things if $$$$ was involved, because then you might turn around and sue the PCT or kick up a fuss.

If I were you I would go back and speak to Mr Levick, or even get a third opinion from one of the surgeons people have used on here.....

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024