Author Topic: Scar tissue  (Read 3542 times)

Offline another_case

• Bronze Member
Had surgery back in February with Dr. Benito and got quite a bit of scar tissue formed still, particularly underneath the nipple which is where he was most aggressive during the surgery apparently. Anyone got any advice on how to help break this stuff down so it goes away quicker. Got a major case of puffy nipples at the moment and I'm not a patient person really. I am massaging daily and exercising regularly. Thanks.

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
keep going with the massage I had mine done in December and still have some lumps on the left but they are going.

I now find that I massage and then let it recover for a few days and it slowly goes down

Hope this helps
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

Offline another_case

• Bronze Member
It's a little bumpy in a couple of places but mainly the bumpy bit is where the healed tissue meets the scar tissue. The scar tissue is just a lump of hard tissue that feels very different to the rest of my chest. When I put my arms up in the air the lumps are very visible behind the nipples and in the small area around them. The rest of the chest looks ok though, it does appear to be getting better but very slowly. Guess I'll just keep massaging and try to be patient!

Offline another_case

• Bronze Member
Not that I'm a pussy but it hurts a bit too, especially if I lie in bed funny  :'(

Offline kingboob

Pussy.

I had surgery in January, and I still have scar tissue, you can feel the hard lumps/bumps under the skin, mainly on the incisions.

Perfectly normal I believe...... certainly the booklet I got when first booking my surgery explains that it can take UP TO one year before everything heals up.

Offline darrend

• Bronze Member
Hi Mark

My right side sounds the same as yours it is still very hard around the nipple, and the nipple is puffy but i'm massaging and exercising- and i'm confident it will go away as just after the surgery my right breast including the nipple was perfectly flat so i have to wait for the swelling and scar tissue to go, i think we are about 12 weeks now so its still early days.

My left side is turning out fantastic- i still have a slight crease under the nipple but i'm basically 90% happy with it now and i know its still healing as its still a bit hard and i get loads of twinges. i was worried about loose skin but i think its tightening up ok.

So anyway good luck

Offline another_case

• Bronze Member
My left side is quite a bit worse than my right side but this is because Dr. Benito said I had the gyne more severe in the left side so he had to take more out, makes sense. Apparently the best thing for getting rid of the scar tissue quicker is exercise, getting the heart pumping and the blood flowing, more oxygen and all that helps the body heal faster (cardio work I'm talking about mainly and maybe low weights, high reps on the chest). Glad to hear things are going well Darren. Apart from me not being that patient I am extremely happy with my result, very nice to look down and they're not there anymore!

Offline Jim1985

• Bronze Member
    • Pre and post surgery photos
Try using the weight machines that work your arms. That way, you're getting the blood flowing, but even though you're not putting any major strain on the chest muscles, you're getting the skin and the general area moving.
Surgery 2nd April with Dr. Benito.

Offline kingboob

Just out of interest; does your surgeon tell you to massage the area?

I am really sceptical about massaging scar tissues, I mean I don't understand how rubbing / poking an already inflamed and damaged area can help it heal any faster?     My logic would be to leave it well enough alone, especially if it is already painful, pain is the body telling you to stop doing something?......

Having said that I have found gentle massage using a cocoa butter cream on my stomach has certainly helped reduce the swelling after having a tummy tuck...... but that is because it helps lymphatic drainage I think.

Offline outertrial

Massage will increase blood flow, It seems to be widely held that itll reduce scar tissue on this site but no ones ever presented any evidence supporting that. Personally I agree with you, best to leave it alone.

Offline kingboob

Massage will increase blood flow, It seems to be widely held that itll reduce scar tissue on this site but no ones ever presented any evidence supporting that. Personally I agree with you, best to leave it alone.

hmm, glad someone does........

I asked Levick if it was worth while putting anything on my scars and he seemed to think not, and that there wasn't any evidence that this new bio oil stuff actually worked?   I have to say I agree, but I thought I had better ask!

Personally I reckon a good diet and exercise will do more than any massage or creams ever could.......  maybe a multi-vitamin is worth a go as well.

Offline another_case

• Bronze Member
Exercising I think is the best thing in my opinion, gentle massaging may be beneficial, Dr. benito advised it just twice a day for a couple of minutes using body cream, said it helps 'melt the scar tissue' as he put it. To be honest I pretty much believe anything that guy says after the surgery he did on me! He also advised me to take ibruprofen for a 10 day period, which I've now done for 7 days. Not sure if it's my imagination but I'm sure it's improved a lot over the last week. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024