Author Topic: NHS- Seeing the GP...  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
I am booking an appointmnet to see the GP this week however I have bottled it in the past to talk to them about manboobs!

Im nervous and scared becuase I dont know what to expect.

I am planning on telling them the social and phycological effect it is having on my life. Is there anyhting in particualr that I should say?

Without giving too much info out I am from Birmingham, England has anyone seen a GP regarding their manboobs in this area?
*Gyne free thanks to Mr Levick on  April 9th 2009*

Offline BullsEye

• Posting Member
I'm from Birmingham too and I have same problem as you. I saw my GP in May and he referred me to Selly Oak hospital to see a plastic surgeon in June. On the day of consultation the stupid consultant cancelled my appointment and wrote back to my GP about guidelines. I booked another appointment to see my GP to know what was the fuss all about and the GP told me "unless your chest resemble that of female breast the NHS will do nothing about it". F NHS, I'm saving up and going private. I feel like I embarrassed myself going to the GP and he put every little detail on the computer system. Maybe your case is different or perhaps you got more severe gynecomastia compared to mine, try your luck anyway.

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
Well I have seen worse cases of manboobs than mine but mine is NOT just puffy nipples. it feels like fat...

Is yours just puffy nipples??

Offline BullsEye

• Posting Member
I have some fat on my chest but the think that makes it stick out is the glandular tissue. Fat can be lost through excercise but not glandular tissue and that's the reason I want to have surgery.

irish lad

go through the posts on this board from a while back a lot of people travelled to birmingham to dr levick to have the op done.. people had mixed opinions about him but he's worth a try as he is in your area.. hope it helps u somewhat!

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
Yeah I have heard that Levick is good but isnt he private?

Does anyone know if the NHS can fund me to have an operation with him?

I am a student and I am going to uni this year so I am low financially... :(

Offline equium

• Bronze Member
Levick doesn't do NHS work - but the Priory Hospital (the hospital Levick works for) does accept this thing called a BMI card. It's like a credit card where you effectively borrow the money and have a year to pay it back with no interest (after the year, the interest rate is stupidly high so make sure you're def going to be able to pay it back). So what you could do it have the op just before you start uni around late August/early Sept (might mess up freshers week a bit) then you can earn money during xmas, easter and a bit of summer hols to pay it back in a years time.

irish lad

ye sorry mate he is private..

Offline equium

• Bronze Member
How you coming along Irish lad?

Offline outertrial

It gets much easier after seeing your gp. There are a few blood tests and things that need to be done in any case. Just be realistic about your chances of the nhs funding surgery and dont rely on them as your only hope.

irish lad

im alright could be better.. still a bit of scar tissue under the left nipple and left side have the pics up on thread.. how are you getting on?

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
Thanks for the response guys...

Well unfortunately NHS will have to be my only hope, even though I am only a student I have to pay for other things around the house so I honestly dont think I will have time and patience to pay back that money in full...

My appointment is on Friday and I am scared... I think I might bottle it again :(

UnhappyWithBody

Don't bottle it mate.  I am/was a student aswell and as such couldn't afford to go the private route.  I went to see my Doctor on campus because of a cold and then brought it up just before leaving - was close to not saying anything.  I explained to her that it was affecting my life seriously, not swimming because can't take off shirt etc..   I asked her if I could get surgery for it on NHS and she wasn't sure.  Next thing I know is that I have a letter saying I have a consultation with a surgeon at the local hospital, went to see him was there for 5 mins and he said yeah you have it and I will do the surgery.  Six months later and I have just had my surgery on the NHS.  I was very close to walking out at every single stage, even while waiting in the hospital.  Don't quit now mate, the worst they can do is say no but then atleast you will know.

Good Luck

GynO_DuDe

Im a student as well and didn't have the funds, but sold my car and used a bit of my grant money to get it done with Mr Levick ...

Guess what though. If your case is really bad then the hospitals in birmingham do the operation for free as Levick told me ... So talking to your doctor should be the easiest part. Persuading them to carry out the operation for free is the most difficult.

Offline Hope

• Silver Member
Here are my pics, I think Ive got it bad. I joined gym a month ago and am losing weight slowly...

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=14819.0

You mean the NHS do it for free in Birmingham?

My GP appointment is tommorow hopefully I will tell him straight...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024