Author Topic: Mastectomy? (Scottish NHS update)  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Doug800

• Posting Member
  • Gone Scottish NHS 15.06.05
Is that what we get when we eventually fall under the knife?

I went for my NHS consult tonight and the op. described on here (aerloa (sp??) and lipo) described to a tee by Spanish female consultant Ms M Serra at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Plastic Surgery Unit.

Could be done within TWO months!!!!

(I'm currently unemployed before you all start with private recommendations, but cheers anyway lads ;) )
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 03:01:24 PM by Doug800 »

Offline brother_gyne

• Bronze Member
Masectomy is the word the drug lady (can't spell aneathetist), used when talking to me before the op.

My op was NHS too and it was about 2 months between consultation and operation. So things are looking good.

Offline IT100

• Gold Member
  • Gyne Removed by Levick 17/03/04

I think masectomy means, Removal of breast tissue. So in that sense.... yes it is. I always hated words like that being used though as surely only women have that?! lol

Ian

Offline Doug800

• Posting Member
  • Gone Scottish NHS 15.06.05
A SUBCUTANEOUS MASTECTOMY removes the entire breast, but leaves the nipple and areola (the pigmented circle around the nipple) in place.
TOTAL (OR SIMPLE) MASTECTOMY is the removal of the whole breast, but not the lymph nodes under the arm (axillary nodes).
In a MODIFIED RADICAL MASTECTOMY, the whole breast and most of the lymph nodes under the arm (axillary nodes) are removed. Removal of these lymph nodes is called an axillary dissection.
RADICAL MASTECTOMY involves removal of the chest wall muscles (pectorals) in addition to the breast and axillary lymph nodes. For many years, this operation was considered the standard for women with breast cancer, but it is rarely used today. It is mostly of historical interest.

I was kinda worried she was going to whip off the lot!! ;)  ;D ;D

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024