Author Topic: Advice please - NHS - what should I do?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Londonyoyo

• Posting Member
Hiya Folks

Pics
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq64/londonyoyo/DSC00124.jpg
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq64/londonyoyo/DSC00122.jpg

I've had my problem from the age of about 14, since then it's driven me crazy.  I can't ever wear the cloths I wish, I won't take my top off in front of folk or go swimming.

Now, I know my case is not severe, but its upsetting enough to make me paranoid and to generally effect my life in many ways.  I just want to solve this problem and get on with my life once and for all.

I went to see a GP when I was living down in Cornwall, he virtually laughed me out of his clinic.  Saying 'that I shouldn't be worried and that I'm fine'.  My point is, I'm not fine, I'm unhappy and I know a simple op can solve this.  I have very little money and would have to take the NHS route.  Is this a nightmare?  As my experience with the above GP has put me off for life, yet I don't have the cash for private, so I'm stuck!

My left hand breast is the worst of the two, it’s more often than not puffy and sticks out diagonally to my left, this is visible under my clothes, wearing a tshirt often looks like I have two clothes pegs under my top.  Most clothes cling to this area and causes me great paranoia, so I resort to a hoody.

Please take a look at my pictures and let me know what you think.  I'm naturally a thick set chap, I've gone from very muscular to thin, to tubbyish and back again, to try and find a weight that best hides it.  My current weight seems to be the best, although I would like to be slimmer and yet I find my problem is more obvious at a thin weight.

I can feel tissue on both side of my chest, which I know we all have naturally, yet mine feels like there are a number of lumps and bumps, round flattish lumps on my left specifically, directly under the nipple, not behind.

I am now living in London, so I can see a new GP, anyone have experience of London NHS GPs?

Anyway, I think that’s all I can say for now, please let me know what you think.

Thanks. 

Offline WXYZ

• Bronze Member
As for London GP's, there as good/bad as any other GP's. I'm in London and my GP was good, he knew what it was and sent me for an NHS consultation with a cosmetic surgeon. However, the surgeon wasn't so good as he had little experience in treating gyne and told me there would be scarring and that he was only going to reduce it, not get rid of it all. Now there's no way I'd go through surgery and have scars for life, because even then I still won't be able to take off my top in public. The NHS is a gamble, first of all they are unlikely to help out with gyne, second only a few surgeons have good experience in treating gyne. Also you can't choose your surgeon through the NHS, you have to take whoever is assigned to you, so you can either get lucky or not so lucky. :-\

Looking at your pics they don't look so bad, but then again I've seen many more pics with worse cases than yours. I know any gyne is bad for the man who has it, but realisically speaking, I can't imagine the NHS agreeing to fund your op, you may not even get past the GP. Your pics look like puffy-nipples, which some men have but don't do anything about them, maybe that's why your GP thought nothing of them. I have severe gyne, maybe thats why my GP sent me, because he told me the NHS would only threat men with cases of severe gyne. I'd have to suggest to save up for private (or get a loan from the bank or family) and go with a surgeon who has alot of experience with gyne.  Some people borrow money from family members or close friends, maybe that's an option. But still you can try the NHS route to see how far it gets you.

Offline adamdaddum

• Posting Member
To me that looks like quite a bad case. Im not sure weather you would get the sergery on the NHS as i think it has to be a very severe case although this can vary drasticly on where you live/the GP you see etc etc. Your best bet is to save up some money and go private. You will not regret it even though £3-4000 is alot of money.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024