Author Topic: Is there any Research going on gynecomatia treament with medicine ?  (Read 4857 times)

Offline sunny007

• Posting Member
Hello to everyone !
I want to know that, Is there any research or new treatment on gynecomastia is going on ?
As majority of doctors doesn't take this problem serious and they sent gyno patients to the plastic sugeons, as they think that this is cosmetic problem.
As every one knows that surgery is the most expensive option (i know its results are worth of it).

I THINK THERE ARE NOT MANY TREATMENT OPTION AVAILABLE BECAUSE IN MEDICAL SCIENCE NO ONE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY THATS WHY THERE IS NO NEW RESEARCH IS GOING ON OR TREATMENT AVAILABLE.
AS MEDICAL SCIENCE YET TO HAVE DICOVERE THE TREAMENT OPTION FOR SERIOUS DISEASES SUCH AS AIDS, CANCER.SO WHY THEY WASTE THEIR TIME ON GYNECOMASTIA IN FINDING NEW TREATMENTS.

WHAT DO U THINK ?

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
there have been some clinical studies, though not enough, and i'm suspicious enough of the pharmaceutical gorilla to think we might not necessarily get reliable depth.  but think about it.  there's not going to be a magic pill.  gyne develops and doesn't go away on it's own.  thinking you'll get a non-surgical cure is like thinking you'll be able to take a pill and it'll target itself so that your left pinkie finger and nothing else will shrivel up and fall off.  it's not going to happen. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Jay999

• Bronze Member
there have been some clinical studies, though not enough, and i'm suspicious enough of the pharmaceutical gorilla to think we might not necessarily get reliable depth.  but think about it.  there's not going to be a magic pill.  gyne develops and doesn't go away on it's own.  thinking you'll get a non-surgical cure is like thinking you'll be able to take a pill and it'll target itself so that your left pinkie finger and nothing else will shrivel up and fall off.  it's not going to happen. 

Gynecomastia can go away on it's own during puberty. So no, it's nothing like your finger example.

If it can go away during puberty it can go away, we just have to figure out how to trigger it.

Offline cecly

• Silver Member
It goes away during puberty because the tissue is still new and soft. After time it develops into proper breast tissue and hardens and doesn't go away.

When it goes away during puberty your hornmone levels stablise fast enough for you to recover, but there are the few unlucky ones which live with it for the rest of our lives.

If there was some magic pill possible they would have developed it for females with breasts that are too large to reduce them without surgery. Hormone replacement works to an extent, but it won't get rid of it all and it is dangerous for your body if you are perfectly healthy.

So just saying it can go away during puberty doesn't mean it will go away 5-20 years down the track. And even if there were a drug that did it, the costs would be still large, it would take several months/years to happen and the side effects would be through the roof. I'd rather numb nipples than ball shrinkage :P.

Offline xoxxx

• Posting Member
Prescription drugs like tamoxifen/clomid./letro. have had fantastic results on alot of people with all kinds of gynecoastia. I can post studies if requested.
Also there is some research going around in topical creams and injections to the actual glandular tissue.
:D

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Sorry, but I cannot let the last statement go unchallenged.

The truth is that some pharmacueticals have limited success but only for a very small number of "selected" patients. Very few of us would fit in this group.

Even in the small number of cases where the drugs appear to have been successful, There is a lack of objective evaluation and it is not known how many of those people would had had regression even without treatment. The claimed proof is almost always anecdotal and fails to meet any scientific standards.

The Over-the-Counter, non-Prescription, and Herbal remedies are almost universally scams and will reduce only your wallet.

There have been many great strides in the treatment of Gynecomastia in the last few decades, but all add up to surgical removal. There exists no magic pill to get rid of Gynecomastia.
Grandpa Dan

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
if your gyne is more than 2 to 3 years old, then surgery is the only solution.. this is what I learnt from my experience. It not only saves your money but your precious time and life.

Offline xoxxx

• Posting Member
if your gyne is more than 2 to 3 years old, then surgery is the only solution.. this is what I learnt from my experience. It not only saves your money but your precious time and life.

thats completley false I have heard of mor ethan many times of people who are 30,31,32 who get rid of their gynecomastia with an AI or a SERM.
Sorry, but I cannot let the last statement go unchallenged.

The truth is that some pharmacueticals have limited success but only for a very small number of "selected" patients. Very few of us would fit in this group.

Even in the small number of cases where the drugs appear to have been successful, There is a lack of objective
evaluation and it is not known how many of those people would had had regression even without treatment. The claimed proof is almost always anecdotal and fails to meet any scientific standards.

The Over-the-Counter, non-Prescription, and Herbal remedies are almost universally scams and will reduce only your wallet.

There have been many great strides in the treatment of Gynecomastia in the last few decades, but all add up to surgical removal. There exists no magic pill to get rid of Gynecomastia.
What you said is completley false, there have been many studies showing the efficiency of tamoxifen citrate and raloxifen.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18357357?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
[Influence of size and duration of gynecomastia on its response to treatment with tamoxifen][Article in Spanish]

Devoto C E, Madariaga A M, Lioi C X, Mardones N.
Sección Endocrinología, Servicio de Medicina, Hospital Clínico San Borja Arriarán, Santiago, Chile. edevoto@vtr.net

BACKGROUND: Gynecomastia is treated when it is painful, there are psychosocial repercussions or it does not revert in less than two years. It is treated with the antiestrogenic drug tamoxifen, but there are doubts about its effectiveness in high volume gynecomastias or in those lasting more than two years. AIM: To assess the effectiveness and safety of tamoxifen for gynecomastia and the influence of its volume and duration on the response to treatment. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Forty three patients with gynecomastia, aged 12 to 62 years, were studied. Twenty seven patients had a pubertal physiological gynecomastia, in eight it was caused by medications, in four it was secondary to hypogonadism, in three it was idiopathic and in one it was due to toxic exposure. Twenty patients had mastodynia and in 33, gynecomastia had a diameter over 4 cm. It lasted less than two years in 30 patients, more than two years in nine and four did not recall its duration. All were treated with tamoxifen 20 mg/day for 6 months. A follow up evaluation was performed at three and six months of treatment. RESULTS: Mastodynia disappeared in all patients at three months. At six months gynecomastia disappeared in 26 patients (62%), but relapsed in 27%. All gynecomastias caused by drugs with antiandrogen activity disappeared. Fifty two percent of gynecomastias over 4 cm and 90% of those of less than 4 cm in diameter disappeared (p<0.05). Fifty six percent of gynecomastias lasting more than two years and 70% of those of a shorter duration disappeared (p=NS). Two patients had diarrhea or flushes associated to the therapy. CONCLUSIONS: Tamoxifen is safe and effective for the treatment of gynecomastia. Larger lesions have a lower response to treatment.

PMID: 18357357 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18622190?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Gynecomastia in adolescents.Nordt CA, DiVasta AD.
Division of Adolescent/Young Adult Medicine, Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA. christina.nordt@childrens.harvard.edu

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Gynecomastia is a common finding in adolescent men. The primary care provider should feel equipped to thoroughly evaluate this condition and to differentiate physiologic from pathologic breast enlargement. The present review focuses on the epidemiology, pathogenesis, evaluation, and treatment of gynecomastia during adolescence. RECENT FINDINGS: While gynecomastia has long been attributed to an imbalance between estrogen and androgen concentrations, recent literature has begun to illuminate other potential mechanisms for breast development in adolescent men. Increased leptin levels, as well as human chorionic gonadotropin and luteinizing hormone receptors on male breast tissue, may play a role. Newer treatment strategies, such as the antiestrogen raloxifene, have shown promising results; however, further studies are needed to determine long-term efficacy. As a result of the limited pharmaceutical treatment options, many more adolescents are seeking surgical intervention. SUMMARY: Gynecomastia is frequently encountered in the primary care setting. During adolescence, male breast enlargement is most often benign and rarely represents a pathologic mechanism. Careful attention should be paid to both the breast and testicular examination. A detailed history should include an inquiry regarding the use of illicit substances, anabolic-androgenic steroids, herbal products, and medications. The impact of gynecomastia on the adolescent's mental health should be assessed. A workup for pathologic causes is rarely required. Reassurance remains the standard of care for physiologic gynecomastia.

PMID: 18622190 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:40:19 PM by xoxxx »

Offline outertrial

I THINK THERE ARE NOT MANY TREATMENT OPTION AVAILABLE BECAUSE IN MEDICAL SCIENCE NO ONE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY THATS WHY THERE IS NO NEW RESEARCH IS GOING ON OR TREATMENT AVAILABLE.
AS MEDICAL SCIENCE YET TO HAVE DICOVERE THE TREAMENT OPTION FOR SERIOUS DISEASES SUCH AS AIDS, CANCER.SO WHY THEY WASTE THEIR TIME ON GYNECOMASTIA IN FINDING NEW TREATMENTS.

WHAT DO U THINK ?

I think I can pretty much guarantee you that if I invented and patented an orally administered non surgical  cure for man breasts on Monday I would be a millionaire many times over by Thursday lunchtime. If I could also design a  cellulite cream for ladies that actually reduced cellulite I doubt any of my family or their descendants would ever need to work again.

I cant even begin to guess how much money we in the developed world must spend each year on buying and selling mostly useless products  meant to make various body parts smaller, larger, less wrinkly, less flabby, more obtrusive, less obtrusive, firmer, softer, lighter, darker, hairier, less hairy, or smooth.

If half that money was spent on paying people to look for a cure for cancer there would probably be one by now.

The facts at the moment are that there just isnt any non invasive way of localised shrinking of fat  and mammary gland  on the horizon.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
xoxxx,

Did you actually read those reports?

In the first study, The sample group is actually quite small and there is no mention of a control group. The sample group had a significant number of men with Gynecomastia of short duration due to secondary side effects of drugs and/or environmentals. How many of these men would have experienced regression without treatment is not even hinted at.

In the second study, An Antiestrogen drug was found to be promising but further testing is needed. This report ends with the statement that the standard care for Physiologic Gynecomastia remains  "Reassurance."

Neither of these studies would qualify as more than Anecdotal evidence. And, I'm quite sure that few men here would be content with a treatment of "Reassurance."

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
xoxxx, did u read this ?
<Gynecomastia is treated when it is painful, there are psychosocial repercussions or it does not revert in less than two years. It is treated with the antiestrogenic drug tamoxifen, but there are doubts about its effectiveness in high volume gynecomastias or in those lasting more than two years.>

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024