Author Topic: Age For Surgery?  (Read 3461 times)

Offline pirlofan15

• Posting Member
Not sure if any of you guys remember me from a couple of months back, but I'm 16 and have gyno. I've finally came out to my parents about it, but my mom just does the motherly thing and tells me that I'm fine and says "How many people see you with your shirt off anyway." She obviously doesn't understand.

So the question I'd like answered is the age for surgery. Is there a certain age that most doctors will start doing the surgery at? Is 16 too young? Do I have to wait until I'm 18 or 20 to have it done? I just got a job so the money I don't save for my car will be going towards this I assume.

Offline Jdowg

• Bronze Member
Great question, and here to help you out. I just turned 17 about 2 months ago, and im getting surgery in 1 1/2 weeks! If you have gotten blood tests done thats the best place to start, seeing if its really gyne or it could be hormones. Best of luck!

Offline pirlofan15

• Posting Member
Thanks man...I'm really eager to get it done because after years, I'm pretty sure it's here to stay.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you pay for it? Did your parents help you cover most of it? And how much was your operation also.

DrBermant

Not sure if any of you guys remember me from a couple of months back, but I'm 16 and have gyno. I've finally came out to my parents about it, but my mom just does the motherly thing and tells me that I'm fine and says "How many people see you with your shirt off anyway." She obviously doesn't understand.

So the question I'd like answered is the age for surgery. Is there a certain age that most doctors will start doing the surgery at? Is 16 too young? Do I have to wait until I'm 18 or 20 to have it done? I just got a job so the money I don't save for my car will be going towards this I assume.

Being patient helps, in most cases puberty gynecomastia goes away on its own. Gynecomastia that has not resolved by two years typically does not go away.

"How old should you be before considering Gynecomastia Surgery" are very common questions.  What age depends on many factors.  You can find many examples of Picture Gallery of Teenagers before and after Gynecomastia Surgery here.

We have many patients, family members, and parents who have raved how a compression garment can really help while waiting for surgery or until stabilization of a problem.

Body shaping garments are a good temporary contouring solution.  They do not help remove or treat gynecomastia.  When the garment is removed, the gynecomastia is still there.  They can provide an emotional band-aid for the stress of contour issues and bouncing tissues.

There is a theoretical advantage for the person losing weight.  Scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure.  These garments are designed to help with pressure and scar evolution.  With weight loss, there is the issue of skin shrinkage.  Pressure may help.  However, there are no studies to evaluate such issues.  Trying to design such a study is difficult if not impossible.

You can see actual examples of Compression Chest Contouring Without Surgery for different types of gynecomastia here:

Compression Contouring After Massive Weight Loss

Body Shaping for Puffy Nipples

Body Shaping Compression Contouring for Overweight Male - This one shows the Black Vest in use.

Body Shaper Compression Garment for Severly Obese Male

Check out the multiple views for each patient. Clink on the links to see other views of the garment and features of this design I prefer.  We have tried many other brands and none seem to come close to what this one offers.

After surgery compression garments do not do well in pool water or sea water.  The salt or chlorine can damage the fabric.  There are Sun Protection Clothing Options designed for water use. 

A wet suit can also help.  Using a thin neoprene like Microprene can flatten the chest in water like a compression garment can help on land.  The after surgery garments do not work well in water, the wet suits do.  Both can be hot to wear, that is why I prefer a very thin garment.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Male Breast Reduction

Offline Jdowg

• Bronze Member
I've had mine since around 10 years old, but being overweight made it just seem like fat. My parents are paying for the operation because my dad understands what im going through, one of his best buds had it and had surgery so he knows what im going through. And im sure i can get cheaper deals anywhere else, but this place is only 10 mins away, and he has done gyne work before, and his results look great. He's charging $5000 for it all.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
dr b's site might be more detailed, but the basic principle is you want to be out of the hormonal irregularities that can accompany puberty since they could lead to recurrence or instability after an op and you don't want to have to do it twice.  some docs won't operate on anyone under 18 but it's probably a case by case thing, i've heard of it being done at 16.  the teens are of course when you're going to hate it and want to rush things the most, but it's not worth pushing it, you really want to do everything right, including not doing it too early. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:05:38 AM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I absolutely do not believe that there should be an arbitrary age (for example, 18 years old) at which time one would "qualify" for surgery.  There are many young men who have severe gyne since age 11 or 12!!  I will generally wait about two years to observe if it has disappeared or is in the process of disappearing.  But if it remains, I do not see any reason whatsoever not to operate on a 13 or 14 year old. 

Many men with gyne developed it early and were patted on the shoulder and then told by their pediatrician "Just wait it out, son, it will disappear."  And it didn't!!  And so they spent their precious teen years, during which time their self esteem and ego are flimsy and tenuous at best, patiently waiting for their gyne to magically disappear.  During these years, the embarrassment can be devastating and can affect social life, social development, participation in sports, and on and on.  I have seen young men bind themselves tightly with ace bandages in a daily ritual.  I have seen them wear three layers of shirts to mask the problem. Some young men have even deliberately gained significant weight so that their abdomen is larger than their chest and hides it to some extent. And of course, these boys will never take their shirt off at the beach or pool and never play skins/shirts basketball.  I cannot imagine the immense psychological and emotional damage it does to these individuals -- but I think everyone on this Board sees it in the writing of the participants who voice their emotional distress.

The operation for gyne can be done successfully on young men.  Their skin is very elastic and shrinks considerably -- even on very large breasts!  Of course, the candidate for surgery must be capable of understanding that it is surgery, that can can be pain and discomfort, but that it will all be worthwhile after it has healed.  In essence, he must be emotionally mature enough to undergo the procedure.

To date, I have operated on over 100 young men, ranging in age from 12 to 18, and not one of them has re-grown his breasts.  Although there can never be a guarantee that this will not occur, the worst case (if re-growth occurred) would be a repeat of the surgery.  In the meanwhile, these young men have been given a real taste of freedom, of feeling "normal."

I may be a maverick among my colleagues in this regard, but I have 100 teenagers on my side who would disagree with the mainstream thought of waiting until you are 18 years old in order to have the operation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
What an awesome post Dr. Jacobs!!! 

You had Gynecomastia at one time yourself, did you not?

I agree with you 110% that 'age' should not be a factor for Gynecomastic Reduction Surgery. I also agree with you, that one should wait a year or two after the initial onset, to see if the condition will clear up on its own. After a two year initial waiting period, then the sufferer should not be denied medical help any further. I suffered 31 years with 'D' cup G... That's 3+ decades of living a life that which you just described. My advice to anyone who is contemplating having corrective surgery, the sooner the better... At any age!

The operation for gyne can be done successfully on young men. Of course, the candidate for surgery must be capable of understanding that it is surgery, that there can be pain and discomfort, but that it will all be worthwhile after it has healed. In essence, he must be emotionally mature enough to undergo the procedure.

However... is that very young sufferer 'emotionally mature enough' to handle the rigors of Gynecomastia? Probably not! (Kind of like a Catch-22 situation...) That young sufferer doesn't know what to think... "Am I turning into a girl?", "Do I need to loose weight", "Am I a FREAK?". Therefore, IMO... the young sufferer may not be 'emotionally mature enough' to handle either, surgery or the condition. Yet, recovery from surgery would be the lesser of two evils!!! No?

Once again doc.... great post!

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline unitedkingdom1

• Posting Member
hey mate age isnt really an issue as im 14 and had my op 3 days ago on the nhs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024