Author Topic: Gyno, fat, or a combination of both?  (Read 2800 times)

Offline TicoSloot

I am glad to have found this website. Very informative. I have been struggling with the question if I have gyno or not. Below you will find a pic of my chest. Please give me your honest opinion.

Offline outkast

• Bronze Member
gonna need a side shot to really give you my opinion...how tall are you and what is your current weight also..you do look like you could lose some weight though and your nipples look fine (not puffy).  But if it bothers you enough get surgery..!!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I am not a doctor, but it looks to me like you only need to lose weight to lose the chest fat.

For the vast majority of G cases, loosing weight does not help....

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline mezwell

• Posting Member
  • hey
you look all in proportion to me ,you would be able to tell if you slimed down,as dieting would have no effect on gyno,your belly arms & legs would lose their fat and youd be left with boobs.it would be nice if there was a pill you could take for gyno.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:42:13 AM by mezwell »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Just from your photo alone, you appear to be overweight.  Hard to comment on whether you have gyno at this point.  Lipo at this point would not be advisable.

Once you lose weight, we can better evaluate your chest to see if it is disproportionately large.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I am glad to have found this website. Very informative. I have been struggling with the question if I have gyno or not. Below you will find a pic of my chest. Please give me your honest opinion.

Have you checked your BMI with a Calculator (Body Mass Index)?  This in conjunction with a Body Fat Analyzer can give a clue about your condition. 

Wearing the extra fat is not healthy.  Have you ever seen a Sumo Wrestler without breasts?  Men tend to put fat around their chest and stomach and then globally.  The Anatomy of Gynecomastia consists of fat, gland, and skin. 

I am not a doctor, but it looks to me like you only need to lose weight to lose the chest fat.

For the vast majority of G cases, loosing weight does not help....

GB

Although losing weight will not help with the gland, Weight Loss can help with the fat component.  Living with the extra fat is just not healthy.  Getting down to a healthier BMI and Body Fat Percentage does help most with many quality of life and medical issues.

Plastic surgery is better after weight loss, losing weight is a coarse tool. Plastic surgery is better used for refinement.  Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.  I have seen many disasters of surgeons / patients pushing surgery as an early option to "jump start" the weight loss process or "because I can't get the weight off myself."

This is especially the case where the patient is in the process of a major weight loss and now has Drooping Chest Skin or Male Breast Ptosis  When a patient has their drooping skin lifted and tightened with Male Mastopexy Chest Lift and then loses much more weight, the skin usually does not shrink well and sags again.  It is a gamble, but if the skin did not shrink well with the first weight loss, why should it for further loss?  Revision Skin Tightening may not be an option.

This loose skin is an issue for each woman on delivering her baby.  However, that loose skin was stretched for a few months, the overweight patient has stretched the lose skin for year.  Most patients do not need skin tightening after weight loss.  However, some end up with Loose Excess Skin on their Chest

Although compromise surgery can be done on obese or overweight patients, after surgery they just look like obese / overweight patients with smaller breasts. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024