Author Topic: How did you guys pay for your surgery?!  (Read 2654 times)

Offline r1

• Posting Member
Ive had an un-sccuessful NHS operation over a yr ago, lipo only. Defo need gland removal + lipo, was thinking of Karadis, but am currently only on around £11,500 a year! Got no way of saving up, and want it done this year, before May/June!!! Don't want to ask my parents, I know they'fd be understanding but I dont want to put them in potion of aksing for that type of money when I know they cant really afford it and the whole embarassment issue.

Just wondering how you guys could afford such a massive amount of money, Im really p!ssed off about it now, cos Im 23, my girlfriend and I split up, and now she is going to oz, something shes always wanted to do, but whever mentioned, Id change the subject cos of the gyno. Weve spoke about it to a small extent, I know it didn't bother her in the slightest bit, but its holding me back in my life. I havent been away with the lads since 2004, mainly because of this!

Offline Bigdom

• Silver Member
Just wondering how you guys could afford such a massive amount of money - I havent been away with the lads since 2004, mainly because of this!

Sorry to hear about your predicament, fortunately i earn more, so personally it wasn't as much of an issue as it appears for you.

If you haven't been away for 4 years, wouldn't you have saved some money?  There are normally ways and means to find a solution, although it looks like your going to have to make some tough choices or find extra income dependant on what your day job is - barman in evening etc?

Offline Jackd

• Silver Member
Just have to work and make it happen, or get a loan?

I am 23 as well and just had the op, spent about £3500 all in, maybe a bit more as I had hassles with passports and stuff. I get paid more than twice what you get though and I've made a few k selling bikes.. I still chose to get the surgery on a short-term bank loan though, so maybe you should try getting a bank loan? It's worth it, trust me!

Offline kingboob

I would say if you have a steady job and no debt then a loan is the way to go, the problem being a 4k loan on 11.5k a year is a big %, and what with the credit crunch now it might be difficult to secure.   If you can 100% afford the repayments then maybe you could ask your family to either guarantee a loan for you or get one on your behalf and you make the repayments?

If the NHS was unsuccessful, can you not go back and try and get them to have a second go at it?  Maybe ask to see a different surgical team at a different hospital? 

Have you got anything you can sell, like a car you can downgrade or something?

What about a second job or over time?   If you can't save well then perhaps your parents could look after the money for you while you save up?

I dunno what else to say really, I was in the same situation 2 years ago, waiting around for the NHS to offer help, eventually I had to take out a huge loan and more recently borrow from family as well.  I am extremely grateful but it is one of those things than can make you feel guilty, and is certainly best avoided if at all possible................... but you have to weight that up against the benefits of surgery, for me it has changed my life completely in the space of 1 year, but then my problem was extreme and more than *just* gyne.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024