Author Topic: Another Karidis Notch!  (Read 14689 times)

Offline enuff

• Bronze Member
Hi

I have been visiting this site for a few years and have got alot of encouragement and information from these pages. Same old story.... I've lived with gyne for 20+ years and you all know the daily pain in the @ss that comes with it. I've been contemplating surgery for the last 5 years but it always seemed abit too extreme or risky for me. I even had a consultation with Mr Levick a few years ago, but having read the mixed reports from this site I didn't take it any further.

I had a daughter last year and I began to realize the excuses I'd used for so many years (to get out of swimming, taking my t-shirt off, etc) weren't going to be acceptable to her. I could live with the condition but it didn't seem fair for my girl to live with my problem too. 

From that point it was easy. I told my partner - she's been great and really understanding although she never knew how I felt. I must have been a gyne-hiding-expert!

Next, we went to see Dr. Karidis. I was impressed - Dr K, his staff, the set up and the hospital filled me with confidence. I made the booking the following day for 3 months time. My hopes? Worst case, I still wouldn't be able to take my shirt off, but maybe I wouldn't have to carefully select my t-shirts or shirts, wear a tracksuit top/jumper to hide my chest etc etc etc. Best case...I get to take my girl to the pool, hang out on the beach, walk into wind without pulling my shirt off my chest!

Anyway, I had the operation yesterday. Yahoo... All very surreal but I cannot thank the staff at St. Johns enough. Dr. Karidis came to see me, took some pics and drew on me. Before I knew it I was being taken down for the anesthetic. Next thing I know I'm in the recovery room. A wine bottle of fat (700ml's) and 18/24g of gland gone forever. Amazing!

As for the results....I haven't had a look yet but I'm fairly confident that this is the best £4k I ever spent.

My experience so far:

- I had the shakes when I came round. Normal apparently, but I wasn't expecting it.
- Be prepared for some stinging pain when you wake up. It wasn't unbearable but was uncomfortable until the pain relief kicked in. I might be a wuss though!
- Try to take someone with you. I would've struggled getting dressed and getting home would've been difficult. If you can't take anyone then don't bring any heavy baggage. You won't be able to carry it. A taxi to a train/airport would probably be ok
- Don't be a donk like me and drag it out for years. Just do it

Will post pics soon......
Dr K got rid of my gyne Jan 2009. Thank f@ck for that!
Words & pics: http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16639.0

Offline Aperture

• Silver Member
Congrats.  Best wishes to you and your family.

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
Happy to hear your story!  Great job!

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Congratulations  ;D

Keep us posted on your progress, I will hopefully be arranging a date with Mr K next week, so will be very interested in your recovery.
Took the plunge and had consultation with Dr. Karidis 7th January 2009.
Surgery 26th February 2009.
Just wish I'd been able to do this years ago.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17004.0

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Well done - great to hear it was a success. The best bit of advice you have given is dont wait for years living with it - GET IT SORTED!!!

;D ;D ;D

Offline enuff

• Bronze Member
Thanks guys

Just took the bandages off for the first time.... Wow!

FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT, FLAT.........

Even better than I could have imagined. It's a very odd feeling looking in the mirror and seeing a totally different chest - great but really weird. No pain at all today - haven't had to touch the pain killers. Can't raise my arms much, but that's to be expected I guess.

Chuffed to bits. Get it booked Jock

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
I have a pacemaker in the left shoulder and he is waiting on confirmation from my cardiologist that there are no wires in the area he will be working, he has spoke to a cardio in his own hosp and he does not see a problem, so as soon as it is confirmed I will have it booked.

Got hols to Toronto on 1st May so want it sorted by then.

It's good to hear such positive results.

Offline DANNY d

• Posting Member
Hi enuuff, I too have just had the surgery on the 15th, we must have been in their together. How you feeling so far. I am like you in terms of the pain killers i havnt really had to touch them which must be a good sign. Let me know how your getting on so we help each other. Im glad your happy with your results.

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Nice to Dr K is getting plenty practice  ;D

Offline DANNY d

• Posting Member
Haha i hope so. The advice enuff gave is spot on really.

Offline enuff

• Bronze Member
Hi Danny d - think there were 3 of us having the same op that day! It was great to take the vest off yesterday and get in the shower. Took a while to pull the plasters off but that's just me being a wimp. ;D Obviously we have a long way to go, but what were your first impressions with the vest off?

Still have no pain, just abit sensitive. I've never been one for sleeping on my back but I seem to be managing ok with that too so far.....

Jock - hope you get the go ahead. From there you're putting yourself in safe hands with Dr K and his team. Had a check up call from his nurse yesterday too which was a nice touch - she's been really great too.

Offline DANNY d

• Posting Member
Yeh im a wimp to, it took me a while to take the plasters off plus i am far to hairy haha. my first impressions were very gd however one side is a little more swollen than the other so trying not to worry about that hopefully it shouldt stay like that. i am very impressed with the cut size it is literally invisible to the naked eye i would say. I am just looking foward to two weeks time and rocking a tight T shirt and seeing how iit looks. How has today been for you enuff 

Offline enuff

• Bronze Member
Pretty good thanks Danny. A little discomfort on my right side today but all good apart from that. Plasters still hurt and I shaved my chest before going in - reckon I might pay for that with the re-growth  :o

Was amazed with size of the cuts too - they're tiny. Like you I have a slight difference between either side but I think that's normal at this stage. In my case I know he took more gland from one side so I guess I wasn't symmetrical to start with!

I Put a shirt on over the vest today and it looks great. If nothing else, I won't have to worry about choosing shirts or T-shirts anymore. At last, a summer to look forward to  :D

Offline Jock

• Silver Member
Good to hear you are both doing fine, I read on Mr K web site that he takes the gland out through a 7  - 9mm cut,  :o

Offline enuff

• Bronze Member
Probably around 7mm but they were hardly noticeable on day two. Have had plasters on since but will let you know next time I change 'em.

Everything else good - minor discomfort today but more to do with wearing the vest I think!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024