Author Topic: Lollipop Technique?  (Read 4559 times)

Offline soillinois

• Posting Member
I went to have my first consultation. :-[  Was glad to get it out of the way.  First people to see me shirtless in a long time. 

I assumed from what I saw that my case would be considered pseudo gynecomastia.  I was a little relieved when he said it was a moderate to severe case of gynecomastia. :)  Don't ask me why that's any better than pseudo but it felt better.

He told me the technique that he would use in my case would be the LOLLIPOP technique used similar to what is used on female breast reduction.  There is an incision around the nipple, than a vertical one underneath the nipple, followed with a horizontal incision bellow the breast of to the sides. 

He is a very highly thought of plastic surgeon.  However I don't know how much experience he has had with severe cases of gynecomastia.  I have been looking for other surgeons near my location but not much luck on the internet finding information.

Would like to hear some input please.

Total cost of the surgery is going to be $6500.  Not that money is really important as the surgery is to be done RIGHT.  I really can't afford the traveling to all the consultations. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Except in rare and severe cases, extensive cuts (and resultant scars) are not necessary.  The skin, particularly in the case of a young man, has an amazing ability to shrink spontaneously and tighten up on its own.  This occurs right on the operating table!

If, however, you are or have been very overweight, then your skin's ability to tighten has been compromised and then more extensive incisions may be necessary.

If you post some pix with info re your age, wt and max wt, you may be able to get some opinions from all the docs on this site.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

I am 28 years old.  I have been overweight most of my life.  NOT extremely overweight, but as a child I was and it developed when I was 8.  A long 20 years since.  A lot of blame I put on my parents but it's not just their fault.  It is time for me to do something about it.  I believe I could write a book on all the pain it has caused me.  Just as I expect many of you.

I live in Southern Illinois, that explains my tag. :)  I have just scheduled an appointment with Dr. Jeffrey Wagner in Indianapolis.  I have seen many good comments about him as well as before and after pictures.
His price starts out quite a bit higher than some closer to me.  His price is $4800 but the local docs are around $3200.  However, not many before and after pictures and their websites do not give much indication on experience with the surgery.  I have done a lot of research, for about 8 years.

I guess my question is I have done plenty of research and am wondering if this guy is as good as I believe should I just go with him?  Also, if anybody has any comments please let me know.

Also, I am 200lbs, 5'10" , I have always wanted to exercise but as you know doesn't look good running with the wind blown in your face.  Or on a bike or walking.  I believe I am at least a C cup :-\

Thanks to all participants on this site.  It has been very beneficial in motivating me to get this far.

Have you checked out your BMI Calculation  or determined your Body Fat Analysis?  At 5'10" and 200 pounds, your numbers result in a diagnosis of being overweight. 

Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with global fat and feeling better.  Residual fat and gland will still be a factor.

I went to have my first consultation. :-[  Was glad to get it out of the way.  First people to see me shirtless in a long time. 

I assumed from what I saw that my case would be considered pseudo gynecomastia.  I was a little relieved when he said it was a moderate to severe case of gynecomastia. :)  Don't ask me why that's any better than pseudo but it felt better.

He told me the technique that he would use in my case would be the LOLLIPOP technique used similar to what is used on female breast reduction.  There is an incision around the nipple, than a vertical one underneath the nipple, followed with a horizontal incision bellow the breast of to the sides. 

He is a very highly thought of plastic surgeon.  However I don't know how much experience he has had with severe cases of gynecomastia.  I have been looking for other surgeons near my location but not much luck on the internet finding information.

Would like to hear some input please.

Total cost of the surgery is going to be $6500.  Not that money is really important as the surgery is to be done RIGHT.  I really can't afford the traveling to all the consultations. 
For the typical gynecomastia patient, skin shrinks quite well without extended skin reduction techniques.  Scars outside of the areola are a compromise for the male chest.  A lollipop short vertical scar a good plan for some female breast
 lift and or reduction
patients.  The scar tends to hide under the curve of the breast or under a bra.  On the male chest, vertical scars just show and distort a male look.

The male chest can be distorted by both Gynecomastia Male Breast Enlargement. Drooping or Ptosis is a frequent problem after massive weight loss or deflation of massive muscles.   If you have already lost a great deal of weight, loose damaged skin can be a factor that will not shrink well.

Posting Standard Pictures to Show Male Chest Drooping after weight loss can help others better understand if the loose skin component is a factor.

Low areola and sagging skin do not give a good contour to the male chest.  Surgery to deal with both the residual contours of gynecomastia and loose hanging tissues can be combined.  Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Drooping Chest or Ptosis can consist of many different Surgical Options for Excess Skin of the Male Chest.  A Short Scar Skin Reduction Chest Lift hides the scars under the pectoral muscles and around the areola.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Sagging Tissues

Offline soillinois

• Posting Member
Here are a few picture of me at my current weight 195 lbs. My max. weight was 240, and even at my lowest adult weight at 165 I still had a lot of gyne left.  I realize that I will have scarring, but I would like for it to be as minimizing as much as possible.  I am still curious if the Lollipop Technique will be the suited for my case.  I would appreciate any suggestions and comments.  Thanks!

DrBermant

Here are a few picture of me at my current weight 195 lbs. My max. weight was 240, and even at my lowest adult weight at 165 I still had a lot of gyne left.  I realize that I will have scarring, but I would like for it to be as minimizing as much as possible.  I am still curious if the Lollipop Technique will be the suited for my case.  I would appreciate any suggestions and comments.  Thanks!

Weight loss before is typically better than weight loss after surgery. 

You are missing many of the most critical views that are helpful in determining how much sagging is present and how low the nipples are in relationship to the pectoral muscles. 

As I mentioned in my prior post, I cannot imagine how a lollipop technique can look as good on the male chest as a scar hidden under the pectoral muscles. 

Determining what surgery is best is better reserved until after the weight loss. I have seen disasters from other surgeons' too early chest lifts and subsequent weight loss.  Lifting lowered breast tissue, then losing weight will typically result in the breast tissue lowered again unless the skin shrinks.  If the skin is going to shrink, why not do the weight loss first and see how much?  However, the skin often does not shrink with the  weight loss.  Low hanging areola / nipples just do not look good on the male chest.  Although revision surgery my be possible, it would mean another operation, more expense, and bridges may have been burnt such that revision may not be possible.  So why gamble?

Also, what feels better: your current weight or what you were at the 165?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Sagging Tissues

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Except in rare and severe cases, extensive cuts (and resultant scars) are not necessary.

100% agree!

soillinois...

Dude, run as fast as you can from this guy who wants to cut up your chest like that! That many incisions is not necessary. You will not be happy with the resultant scars. All you need is a peri-areola incision (a half circle incision at the lower half of the areola). Get a second opinion my man!

Did you ask that doc why it's called the 'Lollipop Technique'? That's an odd name for such a procedure.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline soillinois

• Posting Member
I am wanting to join the Navy at the beginning of next year.  I understand I should lose more weight before having the surgery, but how long do I need to allow myself to heal before joining the Navy? 

Thank you Grandpa Bambu for the advice and posting your pictures before and after.  Having support from others who have experienced the same troubles really is inspiring. 
I am curious as to your surgeon also, because your scars healed up well.  I have tried looking him up online, but haven't really found much information. 

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Give yourself at least 3 months to heal. You may not be 'fully' recovered at that point, but you should be about 80% and well enough to go sailing...

Dr. Fielding (JCF) does not have a Website nor a business email addy. Sorry dude. In any case, he will not take OOC patients.

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024