Author Topic: UK Options?  (Read 4502 times)

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Hi all

Just wondered what people's opinion were in obtaining surgery for a UK resident.  I'm 47, and have suffered with this affliction since I was 13.  I plucked up courage to see a GP about 10 years ago, and, after asking me to remove my shirt, she just sat there with a huge grin on her face offering nothing constructive whatsoever.  I felt a complete fool, and was already at an all time low.  I'm loathe to see a GP again.

I was hoping for some miracle cure, but have come to accept that surgery is the only option. Now, I can't pretend that I am rich.  It will be very difficult for me to raise the cash.  Now, I know that you get what you pay for, but I'm on a budget here  :(.  Who are the surgeons most worthwhile seeking out.  I'm not adverse to travelling abroad if the overall price can be kept down.  I did see a guy on here who had posted some pictures post-op after being treated by a London surgeon.  Dr Zakiris, or something like that.  The results looked fantastic, but it cost about £4500.  I'm relatively sure that I will need gland removal, and not just lipo.

Any input gratefully received.

Thanks, JM

GynO_DuDe

Hi, if you scroll down the page and go to the UK section you'll hear about some of the best and most experienced UK surgeons with plenty of success stories, pictures, diaries etc etc etc ...

Mr Paul Levick - Birmingham
Dr. Karidis - London

Are the best two from what ive read and seen ( I may have missed another )

BUT, they both charge in the region of £4000 (not a penny more, less usually!)

With Levick, you get free revisions which is good if your not happy with the results the first time round (defo recommended for the guys with more serious case as it can be difficult getting it perfect in one go). With Karidis I think you get it also, but have to pay hospital fee's 2nd time round?

Either way, both are very reputable and the dogs danglies at what they do ... and tbh, no one on this forum is rich (may be they are) but from what ive read, people like myself have made many sacrifices to get the surgery ...

EDIT: Yes, both surgeons also perform gland & fat removal, so rest assured your chest will look normal afterwards.

EDIT2: Personally I wouldn't travel abroad ... this is surgery your having, you want your surgeon to literally be at your doorstep. Is it worth saving a grand if your surgeon is based in another country?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:16:22 AM by GynO_DuDe »

Offline fanoffloyd

• Posting Member
Hi,

I'm 37 (38 this summer) and am having the operation on Wednesday the 10th...two days to go! My treatment is being done on the NHS.

The operation is available on the NHS provided the local Primary Care Trust can be convinced that it is necessary. I had to write a letter to my doctor telling her how it was affecting my life, she passed this on and hey presto.

You really need to put some polite pressure on your doctor, if you get no joy make another appointment to see a different one in the local doctors practice.

Good luck and strive for what you want.

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Hi both

Thanks for your replies.  Not sure I want to be judged by the NHS again, I just seem to have one of those "no big deal" faces, allowing doctors to believe my condition is of little consequence.  As for the Paul Levick suggestion, I have had a look at his website, and he is less than an hour from my home, so I am mighty tempted.

According to his website, I have to lose a little weight first.  I shall then book a consultation (after pleading with the bank first  :o).  I really wished I had done this years ago, but I kept on hoping that my condition would somehow right itself.  What a pillock. Anyhow, I shall take a couple of months on a strict diet/exercise regime, then sort out a consultation.

Thanks for your input

All the best, JM

Offline kingboob

I would advise you against going abroad.......  A lot of guys went to Poland for surgery a few years back and many of them ended up paying twice.... but in fairness some of them got fair results too.

I had pretty extreme gyne and I have had my surgery with Mr Levick....... he is ultra laid-back - which is good for me because I get extremely nervous with doctors sometimes..... he has also done a great job with my chest considering the dire situation I was in to start off with, I mean I am very happy and I recommend him to anyone who asks.  :D

The important thing to do is get in as good shape as you can now - then find a surgeon you like (UK based IMO), who has the correct qualifications and experience.

Offline thetodd

Well im totally biased towards karidis!

but i live in birmingham, and i travelled down to london and paid more to have him perform the operation. Have a look at more posts on here before you make a final decision on the surgeon. In my opinion karidis is the better surgeon and has better results
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Hi Thetodd

Yours were the results I alluded to in my opening post, where I mistakenly called your surgeon "Dr Zakiris".  Fantastic job!!

I think my condition may be a little worse than yours was though.  Does Karidis remove any surplus skin?  I can imagine that I shall have a litle spare after surgery  :-[

Cheers, JM

Offline thetodd

Ha cheers :) . He can remove skin if needs be, he'l be able to tell you at your consultation what needs to be done

for ref a bloke on here (as400) whos only 3 years younger than you, had the surgery and didnt have any skin removed and he had a fairly bad case

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17470.msg123075#msg123075

if youve got the money, id go for karidis anyday he just seems to get 100% positive feedback on here!

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Just sent a rather tentative email to Karidis.  See if I can try to get down there for a consultation.  I don't know what makes me more nervous?  The thought of surgery, and total strangers looking at my best kept secrets, or how on earth I am going to pay for it?..........

One thing is for sure though.....  This forum is a godsend.  I have never been able to share my problem(s)  :o with anybody before now.  Ex wife, former girlfriends, present partner, family etc.  All have been kept in the dark.  I'm sure most have guessed though.  Some of my excuses for not going swimming have been ludicrous.  My current girlfriend has given up trying to get me in the sea when we are on holiday as I've instilled in her the belief that I am terrified of being attacked by a shark.........  In Wales!!   :P  Strange how this awful affliction governs every aspect of my life. The way I stand, the way I walk, the clothes I wear.  It even dictates how I sleep if I'm with my partner.  I so have to get this sorted.

Anyhow, I'm waffling now.

Cheers, JM

Offline kingboob

The skin issue depends how bad the problem is really.  If you have severe gyne with droopy, saggy & deflated skin the excision is going to be the only cure..... the downside being that you are trading the boobs for a large scar........... but it has to be really bad to need this type of surgery anyway.

However in most cases surgeons will remove the fat & gland tissue first, then wait a certain period of time to allow the skin to naturally retract. If it fails to shrink back then you can have a second revision surgery to remove the excess skin.......... this is a pretty good option because you give yourself the best chance to get a flat chest without having to go through big surgery with large tell-tale scars.

Also, in my opinion if you have a large case (and it is impossible to say without seeing pics), then you are at much greater risk of needing more than one surgery to get everything perfect.   No surgeon gets 100% perfection with every patient, but the bigger the deformity the more difficult it is going to be to get it put right.     

I am not trying to be negative here, but if you take a look at this American site: http://www.locateadoc.com/pictures/cosmetic-surgery/gynecomastia-male-breast-reduction.html   - You will notice the guys with large boobs do not get as good a cosmetic result as the skinny guys with puffy nipples (although they still get a massive improvement)...... that is pretty much standard from what I have seen.

So what I am trying to say is do the research and have realistic expectations........ Over the years I have visited this site far too many people have gone in for surgery and been disappointed despite getting a great (by most standards) result.

Have multiple consults and go with whoever you like most. 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:39:12 PM by kingboob »

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Hi KB

I hear what you are saying.  To be honest, I'm not seeking perfection (although that would be nice  ;D).  All I aspire to be is normal, ie, to be able to walk down the road with a tee-shirt on during hot weather.  Instead of the obligatory thick material shirt ('cos the thicker the material, the less chance of following the contours) over a tee-shirt.  And something to carry so that I can get my hands in front of my boobs.  I will never be an adonis.  I am definitely of the opinion that I want improvement though.  Improvement of form, and improvement of life.

If the op did necessitate scarring, I would still consider it a price worth paying.  At least I will only attract attention when my shirt comes off, as opposed to the unwanted attention I'm currently receiving.

All the best, JM

GynO_DuDe

Good post 'kb'

I can echo on the fact guys with severe gyne will require a revision op unless your happy with the op first time round. I, myself am going in for my revision next week, because my surgeon as well as me agreed that a much better result can be achieved.

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Well, after my somewhat tentative email yesterday to the office of Dr. Karidis, I went ahead and booked a consultation.  I'm really excited, but incredibly nervous.  I'm also getting a little ahead of myself as I've yet to approach the bank manager for a loan yet.  Should be ok on that front though, hopefully. 

I must say that the lady on the other end of the phone made me feel quite at ease.  Really hope that this is the beginning of the end as regards the past 30 years of misery.  I feel as if I owe an awful lot to you guys and this website for shining a light for me.  So thank you one and all, I now have hope  :)

All the best, JM

GynO_DuDe

Brilliant ... your ONLY regret after its all over, will be the fact you didn't do research and discover this site beforehand to save on the years of misery you had ...

Even then ... better to do it now, then not to do it at all, still got the rest of your life left!!!

Offline JugsyMalone

• Posting Member
Well, so much for the bank coming up trumps.  Saw them yesterday, and they are prepared to increase my already sizeable loan, but only if they can increase the interest rate from 7.4% to 20%!!!  There is no way I can afford that.  I am absolutely gutted as I was hoping to have the surgery around September(ish).  I'm now going to have to try and generate as much cash via ebay that I can, but it will be a drawn out affair now.  I cannot tell you how I empty I feel now that the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off........

:(

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024