Author Topic: Back here because...  (Read 2428 times)

Offline KE25

• Posting Member
...it has been bothering me again lately. It's summer again and I am trying to get back into sports. I like it, have a little more time now, am trying to lose a few pounds and most importantly want to stay healthy for my family. The big four-O is creeping up and maybe it's time to think about surgery again. Just read an update re my health insurance (Harvard Pilgrim) and my interpretation is that there may even be hope to get it covered.

But here is the other thing why my chest problems moved up on my priority list again: I see how my 2 1/2 year-old son will probably have the same issue one day. It's sometimes amazing how much my daughter and my son look like me. Their body shapes are complete mini-MEs. I can't think of any one else in my family with gyno but the little man already has the tiny little puffy nipples and the same fatty (or whatever) pattern around it on his otherwise lean body.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
i still don't think we're fully aware of the potential hormone mimicking substances that didn't exist in everyday life fifty years ago, from bisphenols in plastics to birth control pill residues recycling in drinking water, to steroids in meat and dairy.  don't panic yet, you may be able to control the environmental factors over time. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline KE25

• Posting Member
i still don't think we're fully aware of the potential hormone mimicking substances that didn't exist in everyday life fifty years ago, from bisphenols in plastics to birth control pill residues recycling in drinking water, to steroids in meat and dairy.  don't panic yet, you may be able to control the environmental factors over time. 

Excellent point. I have been thinking about that too. But I can't come up with anything. I was born and raised in Europe in the 1970s, not breastfed, was an extremely picky eater until I was about 7 or so, ate almost no meat, the birthcontrol pill just came to market a few years prior and I developed full blown gyne when puberty kicked in. My son on the other hand was born here in the US, was breastfed, the few bottles that he received were made of glass, my wife never took the birthcontroll pill, never had an abortion, he drinks filtered water, is a picky eater like I was and overall we try to eat decent food from fresh ingredients.

In short: I don't see any other connection other than hereditary factors.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There is a bit of contention about the role of heredity in gynecomastia which I would prefer to stay out of except to note that the condition does not merely run in my family, It gallops.
Grandpa Dan

Offline KE25

• Posting Member
There is a bit of contention about the role of heredity in gynecomastia which I would prefer to stay out of except to note that the condition does not merely run in my family, It gallops.

I don't know. I can only look at circumstantial evidence and try to apply the logic from my live and training in a scientific world. The point is: we need a lot more research. At the moment it appears the medical world for the most part ignores it and thinks of it as a insignificant, rare thing or even worse as a hardyhaha thing like most other people.

Offline frozen

• Bronze Member
Just thought I'd add my views on the heriditary issue:

Nearly ALL the men in my family that I'm blood related to have gyne. Strangely enough, we all have fairly svelte phsyiques with flat stomachs, etc, but we all also have gyne to some extent. The one exception to this is my dad, who has gyne but also has a stomach to match!
Had surgery with Dr. Karidis (London, UK) on 23rd July. Wearing tight t-shirts and looking forward to going swimming!

My experience so far & updates:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18200.msg126755#msg126755

Pictures:
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18539.msg127741#msg127741

Offline KE25

• Posting Member
Just thought I'd add my views on the heriditary issue:

Nearly ALL the men in my family that I'm blood related to have gyne. Strangely enough, we all have fairly svelte phsyiques with flat stomachs, etc, but we all also have gyne to some extent. The one exception to this is my dad, who has gyne but also has a stomach to match!

Maybe you could get a surgery group discount ;-)

Offline Exit

• Posting Member
Strange because nobody in my family has gyne except me.  I've seen all of my relatives at the beach and swimming pool and nobody has it.  I'm not even fat either.  Though I'm not exactly slim, I don't have a big stomach that pokes out or anything.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
me neither. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024