Author Topic: When can you start up weight training and sports?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline ineedhelp

• Posting Member
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, i know D24 asked this in his post but it did not get a direct response. according to Dr. Karidis, you can start weight training after 3 weeks i think? anyone know how long before you can get back to training? and i dont mean like little weights and walks in the park, i mean like heavy weights and full on football / squash! any idea guys?

Offline D24

• Bronze Member
Hi ineedhelp, jusst thought i'd give you some info from my experiance. After my first surgery (lipo only) i waited 7 weeks which drove me round the bend but i knew when i was ready to return to the gym. You have to really feel ready. I personally think it depends on how you heal. After 7 weeks i returned to the gym and for the first week trained at around 75% in terms of volume and weight and back to normal thereafter. I had gland excision almost 1 week ago and have had maybe 1 day of discmfort so i'm hoping i can get back to the gym sooner. Ultimately i think it depends on how traumatic the procedure is to the body and your own healing capability.

Offline wannabemassive

• Bronze Member
Hi ineedhelp,

I had my left gland and lipo on 15th oct 09.

I was in the gym 1 week later training legs and abs.

10 days later i trained legs and abs and some chest.
When i mean some chest i did seated chest press 12kg sets 15reps then incline press from 5kg 15reps to 15kg 15reps, i trained up to 2days before op and was flat dumb bell pressing 36kg 6reps 4sets.

12 day after op, 6x400m, 10 pressups after each lap total time of 16mins took it easy and legs and abs then last 4sets of dips 6reps.

2weeks flat bench 50kg total including bar 10set reps went somthing like this 12.12.10.10.8.8.8.8.8,
incline press 25kg 8reps 5sets, flyes dumb bell 10kg 12reps 4sets.

I was wearing a nike compresson garment, stretched before, during and after.

You will find that any raising above the head movement will be pain full, shoulder press, pull up, lat pull down. Most deffinatly a swing movement will hurt.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WORKOUT PAIN AND SURGERY PAIN. IF IT HURTS STOP.

Week 2 1/2. Dead lifted 130kg for 6reps 4sets. noticed on the following morning i had slight bruising around abs and obliques below left peck. Disappeared in 48hrs.

Week 3. Going to be starting my sprint training back up and go for 2-4 reps on chest press. Also going back to Doc, so going to ask him when to start sports massage on that area.

Everyone is different i have been training extremly hard since august 08 to try and get rid of my gyne and my fitness levels have grown.

There is nothing wrong with letting your body heal and some light weights to stimulate muscle activation.

On my professional advice no contact sports for at least 1 1/2 weeks.

Wannabemassive

TRAIN HARD LIVE LONG

Offline ineedhelp

• Posting Member
thanks for that guys. i guess 3 weeks does seem reasonable and a bit of leg work and some light upper body training too in the build up. not bad i guess. i will probably give myself 4 weeks before i hit it fully hard again but as you guys have said, it depends on when the individual is ready so i hope its 4 weeks at the most!

Offline kingboob

I think you can train legs / lower body as soon as you feel ready to be honest........ have a go with light weights on the chest exercise and see how it feels, if it hurts then don't do it.   

I wouldn't go full out on the cardio stuff until at least 10 days personally.... again if you feel dizzy, light headed or in any pain then stop.

I think the key is to test the water with a couple of light work outs before going back to normal.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024