Author Topic: 'Strange' Question  (Read 4278 times)

Offline robbo

I know this has been touched on in another post, but wanted to get peoples ideas.

I'm having the surgery around Christmas, after ten years of letting this control my life i decided to do something about it. Really am looking forward to being able to wake up in the morning and put whatever clothes on i want!

Anyway, as it's happening a few days before christmas/ new year etc, i'm going to be asked out drinking by mates quite a lot, and i doubt i'm going to be up to it. No one other than family know about this, so my question is, what can i tell people?

I'm going to say i'm having an operation, but i don't want to tell them what for, what else could it be?

Also, unrelated, but when wearing the compression garment after, how obvious is it that you're wearing one?

Thanks

Offline D24

• Bronze Member
Hi Robbo,

I was in a similar situation where there were weddings and friends birthdays very soon after my surgery. I as you told friends i was having surgery and simply told them i had been instructed by my surgeon not to drink any alcohol and rest a lot after surgery. At the end of the day your friends will understand, think of yourself mate and do what you feel is best for you. As for the compression garment the one i had from the N.H.S was more of a band that went round my chest from the top of your abs to under your armpits. I'd say its not particularly noticeable but can be in certain clothing i.e. tightish T-Shirts. Can't comment if its a compression vest you'll be wearing sorry.

Offline dyngano

• Posting Member
Robbo,

What kind of drinking are you talking about? Hard drinking and staggering about in cramped pubs, which could result in knocks and affect your healing time? or just a tipple? After the op you won't feel like going out drinking for a few days anyway, you'll be too tired and in recovery (not in pain but will have limited movement). You become much more mobile, and can move arms around much more easily after the first week, so I'd recommend giving it a full week of not going out if you can manage that. You might be able to get away with 4 or 5 days if you heal quickly. The compression garment is completely impossible to notice, even under a t-shirt really, but presumably you'll be wearing jumpers anyway considering it's the winter time.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:38:40 AM by dyngano »

Offline thetodd

Just tell them youve got swine flu and youve been instructed not to leave your bedroom for two weeks ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:50:18 PM by thetodd »
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
without explaining the surgery, people have tried cracked rib or pulled muscle, but i think you could just try something like removal of a benign growth or something like that. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline newlife

• Posting Member
Tell them you have a bad back and then if they notice the compression garment you can tell them its on doctors orders to keep your posture correct.

Simples! ;)

DrBermant

I know this has been touched on in another post, but wanted to get peoples ideas.

I'm having the surgery around Christmas, after ten years of letting this control my life i decided to do something about it. Really am looking forward to being able to wake up in the morning and put whatever clothes on i want!

Anyway, as it's happening a few days before christmas/ new year etc, i'm going to be asked out drinking by mates quite a lot, and i doubt i'm going to be up to it. No one other than family know about this, so my question is, what can i tell people?

I'm going to say i'm having an operation, but i don't want to tell them what for, what else could it be?

Also, unrelated, but when wearing the compression garment after, how obvious is it that you're wearing one?

Thanks

Lies can be traps. The truth is often much better. For my patient I advise them to explain that they have injured their chest (true - surgery is an injury). The brand of After Surgery Compression Garment I use is not very noticeable unless you are wearing a fine silk shirt. I also advise my patient if someone asks, tell them the garment helps support the injured tissues (true again).

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline robbo

Cheers everyone,

I'm thinking of just saying i'm having surgery and it's nothing to worry about, and hope people leave it at that. They can speculate then of course but oh well!

The doctor doing my surgery has only done 10 of these operations in the last twelve months. They have a very good reputation etc but that has made me slightly apprehensive.

3 weeks and i'll be Gyne free, bloody exciting.

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Same sort of situation for me, having the op on the 22nd (NHS).. Havn't told work yet either! Might say it's swine flu, and then if it gets out just say I had a 'lump' removed but didn't want to talk about it..

Offline Rosco12724

• Posting Member
I agree with The Todd, tell them you have the flu, nobody will question that but they may question the surgery.

I wore the compression vest Dr. Karidis gave me without anybody really noticing, I nearly got busted once when somebody hugged me and asked me what is that but I just blagged it.

Unless somebody feels the vest it looks almost like any other vest apart from the fasteners down the middle. This time of year with a buttoned up shirt nobody will notice.

Make sure the clothes you wear open from the front as you will have limeted arm movement for the first week or so.

Good luck with the op, you will not regret doing this, it has changed my life.

Offline lighting506

• Posting Member
I'm in the same position. After surgery I told everyone I was sick for the first week. Now I'm also trying to hide the compression garment, it isn't visible, but can be felt when hugging or patting on the back (the velcro straps).

I have a creative cover story. My mother works for a medical high-tech company. I told some people that for a new product the company is making, I got a gig (through my mom) that they will pay me $200 if I test some vest for a month. After this most of my friends are begging me to set it up for them too.

Offline wannabemassive

• Bronze Member
The todd and lighting506 both have great ideas of excuses.

I have told most of friends and family about my surgery all have been polite and sympathic about it.

Some people at the gym noticed after first op and laughed but hey after 4weeks i was still beating them round the gym.

So tell who you want, know one needs to know a thing.

Wannabemassive

TRAIN HARD LIVE LONG

Offline Mustoofee

• Posting Member
just don't come home after surjery >>> get to your aunt or uncle or a close friend
till you lift the vestment

Offline thetodd

I cant remember the exact time scales but i think its 7-10 days for the vest to be on during the day, it would arrouse more suspicious staying somwhere else especially over christmas

Swine flu is the perfect get out no questions asked just chill in your room. Its how im getting out of work this christmas heh heh

TheTodd

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Yep I think I'm going to tell people I know I just feel ill/swine flu and so can't go out/go out on new years etc.. After that it's just a matter of hiding the vest which might be hard.. Will just try wear multiple layers when possible I guess!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024