Author Topic: how bad is my condition? do i have it?  (Read 4687 times)

Offline nc23

hi all, im sooooo glad iv found this site i never even knew there were forums about this condition. iv booked a consiltaion very soon but want your opinions. do i have it? is it bad? im guessing i do but need some advice. its been bothering me for years and im now 23 and want them out of my life forever.

any help or guiance would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advanced,

nick.

DrBermant

hi all, im sooooo glad iv found this site i never even knew there were forums about this condition. iv booked a consiltaion very soon but want your opinions. do i have it? is it bad? im guessing i do but need some advice. its been bothering me for years and im now 23 and want them out of my life forever.

any help or guiance would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advanced,

nick.

The problem is that Male Fat Pattern extends around the chest, under the arms, and around the back.  Plastic Surgery is not a good tool for a global fat problem.

I advise my patients to get to a weight / body fat percentage they are comfortable with before considering surgery.  A BMI Calculator does not differentiate between fat, muscle, and bone.  Body Fat Calculators can help with the fat percentage and are better at helping with the fat component.

For those with too much body fat, Weight Loss Before Gynecomastia Surgery can help with the fat, but not the gland.  However, you cannot pick where your fat comes from.

The biggest change I have noticed over the years, is that patients who lose weight tell me that they feel so much better about themselves. It often changes the front to a degree, but the sides and back can see a major benefit from getting the excess total body fat under control.

Plastic Surgery is not a good jump start tool for weight loss.  I have seen disasters from patients from other doctors with deformities from significant weight loss after their surgery.  Men tend to put fat on first in the belly and chest bands.  We tend to take of those areas last.  Early surgery and depending on weight loss to predictably change the body is a nasty gamble.  No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are a better temporizing choice.

As a surgical sculptor, I view weight loss as a coarse tool and my plastic surgery as a refinement tool.  I prefer to use the coarse tool first, and then my sculpture for refinement.

For those having compromise surgery before (or without) weight loss, try to check out before and after pictures from many different angles.  (You should carefully evaluate results with more than just one or 2 views for each patient, especially if those views change from patient to patient. Plastic Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight.  A fat person will still look like a fat person, just one with smaller breasts.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
yes nick you absolutely have it, and it's a moderate to advanced case (all things being relative).  do not blame yourself for wanting it gone.  weight loss would be good, especially if you're considering surgery, since you want to aim for your target weight, but those will not go away no matter how many tons you lift.  congrats on finding the site.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:31:10 PM by headheldhigh01 »
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline dlrs44

• Posting Member
Yeah man try as hard as you can to diet and lose weight... That should be your first step.  Once you get towards your ideal weight you'll know what needs to happen in regard to the boobs.  I had a roommate who, when I met him, was overweight and he actually looked a lot like you with his shirt off - I thought his man boobs were pretty developed and figured they would not go away with weight loss.  Then over the course of a year he dieted, started exercising everyday and lifting free weights.  He was real determined and it was amazing, apparently he had pseudogynecomastia only because he got thin, ripped and the boobs were completely gone.  I'm not saying that will happen for you, but you can do it - get determined, lose some weight and take it from there... good luck. 

Offline shirtshy

• Posting Member
Hey, congrats on finding this site.  I found out about gynecomastia about 4 months ago, and now I'm 2 weeks post surgery, with no breasts for the first time since I was a kid.

I found out about gyne looking for chest exercises on youtube, because having lost 30 lbs with no change there, I was desperate to finally do something. 

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think you're 'fat', overweight maybe, but it's obvious to me it's disproportionately top heavy.  There are plenty of guys much bigger than you with chest half your size. 
If it is gyne, there should be hard gland tissue, kind of feels like cartilage.  That doesn't go away with exercise, so imho, why not get rid of it as a jump start to your healthier body? 
Also, if you massage firmly, fat bubbles can actually be felt and kind of popped.  I tried that just before surgery, and my chest seemed smaller.

Anyway, have a look at my pics with the link in my signature.  Good luck!

Good luck!
Surgeon: Dr. Fielding

View My Pre-Op Pictures
View My POST OP Pictures

Jan 13 2010, Moobs Remoobed!!!

Offline jsboob

• Silver Member
yeh, looks like you do have it despite being a bit overweight. :(

Offline nc23

thanks for all your replies, i know i need to drop some weight first as i weigh 15 stone. i just want them gone tbh. when feeling them there hard is that normal? i just really feel like i want them out of my life now and really wnat them gone. how much is the est cost of surgery? thanks,

nick

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
yes, but so's soft, it comes in all kinds.  cost depends on location, technique, and the individual surgeon, though no matter what you go with you want somebody experienced and well-versed in gyne techniques instead of these complete amateurs that just cut anywhere and don't even bother trying to hide the scars.  in the states it could run from $3000 in rare instances to $4-6 more normally and $7-8000 or more in more expensive locations.  in canada maybe the equivalent of that midrange minus a little, in the uk, more (private sector versus nhs).  for more detail on those locations, read through some of the location-specific boards on this site. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024