Author Topic: Taking arnica pre op  (Read 3919 times)

Offline dtc78

• Posting Member
Hi All!

Ive got my op with Dr. Karidis in 3 weeks, i was just wondering whether i should be taking Arnica tabs maybe the week
before my op as ive read somewhere this might help reduce the swelling after the op. I know ill be taking it post op but just
wanted to ask the question about taking it early.

Also will i need to buy arnica cream too for massaging etc? Does it matter which capsules and cream i buy as i noticed
in Boots theres diffeent types?

Sorry for all the questions but im just trying to make sure im as prepared as poss!! :D

Offline Deymorin

• Posting Member
Hey buddy

Arnica is fairly subjective - my mum is an acupuncturist so I'll grown up on it whenever I got hurt, and although I'm generally a sceptical person I really think it does work. However, there are plently of people out there that still think they're sugar pills and for all I know either side could be right. I didn't take any pre-op (did about 4 times a day post though) and tbh my swelling wasnt too bad.

You could try arnica cream if you like but once you get to a point that you can rub stuff into your chest Id suggest investing in some bio oil. I bought mine off Amazon for a tenner and considering Dr. Karidis recommended starting very light massage around day 10ish you can start using this as soon as your insisions close up.

Let me know if you have any more questions and best of luck in 3 weeks :)

Offline Deymorin

• Posting Member
Oh and I ate alot of pinapple as well so not sure if that made a difference

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
You'd better check with your surgeon.  The anesthesiologists I use don't want my patients to take Arnica preop, as that medication may make the heart do funny things under anesthesia. 

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024