Author Topic: not sure what to do..  (Read 2325 times)

Offline estebans

I'm a 20yo college student and I'm almost positive that I do have gynecomastia. I've been aware for several years now and i've gotten clever at hiding it. But i'm tired of having to hide it. I'm interested to know what you guys think, like how severe or mild it is, and if surgery would be a good option? I've lost some weight recently hoping that it would help but it only made it more prominent I think, one side is definitely bigger than the other. Comments are appreciated, thank you!

front view

side view 1

side view 2

arms back 1

arms back 2

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
your's is better than mine.. you definitely have it dude but if i were you.. go to the gym and workout and definitely you can hide it just like mine. 8)

Offline **Gynefor**

• 37 yo - 184 cm - 82 kg
your's is better than mine.. you definitely have it dude but if i were you.. go to the gym and workout and definitely you can hide it just like mine. 8)

I totally agree ! You can hide it with some gym, so try it ! And then see !

DrBermant

I'm a 20yo college student and I'm almost positive that I do have gynecomastia. I've been aware for several years now and i've gotten clever at hiding it. But i'm tired of having to hide it. I'm interested to know what you guys think, like how severe or mild it is, and if surgery would be a good option? I've lost some weight recently hoping that it would help but it only made it more prominent I think, one side is definitely bigger than the other. Comments are appreciated, thank you!

How Severe or Mild or Rate My Gynecomastia are common questions on this forum.

There are many such grading systems, all fail.  When I lecture about Gynecomastia, I spend almost 5 minutes describing how all of the systems break down.  Galen who first coined the phrase was talking about fatty breasts.  When posters here ask Rate My Gynecomastia, any such rating has little value.  It is a question of how much it affects the owner than a public comment for a number.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to distinguish just what is causing the problem.  Gynecomastia male breasts can be fat, gland, or most commonly a combination of both.  Sometimes skin and sagging tissues can be a factor.  Check out the Anatomy of Gynecomastia to see typical composition.

Pseudo Gynecomastia Pseudogynecomastia is supposed to be fat only gynecomastia.  The problem with that "classification" is that in almost every case of gynecomastia I have seen there is some component of gland.  This gland can be very small, but it is present almost all the time.  So do you have Pseudo gynecomastia when there is a 1%, 10%, 50%, or 90% deformity from fat?  Reality just does not work that way.

When a girl starts growing female breasts and has small buds, I wonder if that same doctor would inform the child she does not have real breasts because they are too small!  Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia is a variant of a small female breast.  For a young male or Bodybuilder with Gynecomastia even such a small contour issue can lead to teasing, stress, and major emotional concerns.

Weight loss only helps with the fat component and can unmask the remaining gland. Major weight loss can also result in loose skin issues.

To determine if surgery is a good option there needs to be a much more detailed exchange of information and details. This is normally done during a consultation or a Preliminary Remote Discussion (which is what our patients use coming from a distance and wanting to minimize travel to Virginia). Looking at photos alone would not assess issues like risks for a patient with bleeding disorder, unstable blood pressure, and many other medical factors that can come into play for a detailed discussion of risks, benefits, and alternate methods of care.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline 34andReady

• Posting Member
I'm interested to know what you guys think, like how severe or mild it is, and if surgery would be a good option? I've lost some weight recently hoping that it would help but it only made it more prominent I think, one side is definitely bigger than the other. Comments are appreciated, thank you!

Your case is a bit more mild than was mine.

But you're right, you have what my doctor called 'bi-lateral' (I think that's what he called it).  My surgery (6 weeks ago) evened everything out perfectly.  However, my larger side obviously required much more work and took longer to heal.  In fact, my larger side still feels a little sore in the afternoon.

Below is my photo thread.  I think your case is somewhat similar (but again, more mild for you IMO) so I wanted to point you toward my results.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=20185.0

I had often said, if my larger side was the same size as the smaller side, I probably would have cared much less about it and most likely not gone ahead with the surgery.  But that was never the case.  The real bad side prohibited me from ever being bare-chested in public and required to me pay close attention to my upper-body attire.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:14:00 AM by 34andReady »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
No question a mild/moderate case.  Whether to have surgery is something only you can answer -- but only surgery will improve matters.

If you do consider surgery, remember it is elective and not an emergency.  Do your homework and seek the evaluation and advice of several doctors -- preferably those who have significant experience in gyne surgery.  Choose the surgeon with whom you feel most comfortable and confident.  The fee, while important, should be the least of your considerations.  Remember, you will enjoy the results of the surgery for the rest of your life -- and long after the original fee is forgotten.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024