Author Topic: Plastic Surgeon Consultation..  (Read 2057 times)

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
I had another consultation today with a NHS consultant. Ive been going through all this for a year now and finally getting somewhere. My trust dosnt cover Lypo, I dont have gland problems, mine consists of fatty tissue. My consultant has referrred me to see a plastic surgeon, but I have to pay £120 to see him as this allows me to skip all the board decisions and blah blah blah and allows me to see the guy who performs the op. I am under the 25 bmi that you have to be to have the op on the nhs and Ive been told that the plastic surgeon Im going to see, Dr Dean Boyce, will then put me on the nhs waiting list, Im a student and cant really offord private, Dean Boyce has done this with other students or healthy people in the past rather than them pay a couple of grand. He seems a nice guy. Im just really worried about the op, Ive watched youtube videos and the op looks painful. Im just wondering if any of you guys who've had lypo can give me info on it. Is it painful, are you awake during it or not? etc.

Thanks guys!

Offline kingboob

They usually do the operation under general anaesthetic, which means you are asleep and can't feel anything.   

After the op your chest will be sore and tender to touch for up to 2 weeks, however this is easily manageable with paracetamol or other over the counter pain killers.......  The pain is not a major factor for most people at all, infact after the first few days it really just feels like you have done a really heavy work out at the gym, everything will be a bit stiff and sore but it isn't terrible...................  Having said that you can expect it to be up to 6 weeks before you will feel totally comfortable going to the gym or lifting heavy objects............. also the swelling can last for quite a long time, meaning the final results may not appear until 6months or more post op.

Going private will cost about £4000,   so getting treatment on the NHS is well worth a try.

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply kingboob! Ive been told that as its day surgery I can expect to have it sooner than normal as cancellations occur often on the nhs and I would be high on the list as its just a day surgery, but thats not really 100%, just have my finger crossed that this happens. Could I go swimming or do cardio workouts at the gym or would I still have to wait months to do these?

Offline thetodd

The only thing that worrys be about them saying "only fatty tissue"

is that the same thing was said to a user (D24). Has the same prognosis and they dont liposuction only and you could see the glandular lumps once he had recovered

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19533.msg134436#msg134436

there is a topic about it but i couldnt see it browsing through. When you go to the consulation id reccomend just printing out that topic, maybe trying to persuade him to excise the gland because ive seen a few NHS cases come and go on here and the majority have been left dissatisified with the results from lipo only
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline thorne

• Posting Member
Every consultant Ive seen has mentioned that theres just fatty tissue, not one has mentioned a gland and I cant really feel one on the spot people say to feel around. I do agree though that you get good and bad surgeons within the nhs. But I'm going to take this one step at a time and just see what this new guy says. Ive been warned by the last two not to go for the surgery where they cut it away as theres a large chance I will be left with my chest being indented, making the situation no better. So, Im going to follow what these doctors say and take it from there. Thanks for advice though Todd, interesting to read other people's comments on the nhs :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024