Author Topic: I have been offered surgery on the NHS!  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Nearliverpool

• Posting Member
Went to my doctor and basically told my GP that i have gynecomastia. She asked me to take my top off to have a look, After having a feel round whih was very painfull for me, she said i didnt have any lumps which i blatantly have and she diagnosed me with mastitis or something?? Is anyone elses gyno very very painful , were as you cant sleep on your front? Also if i squeeze the nipple a liquid will come out!
So my doctor referred me to the hospital and i got an appointment within 2 weeks. Today i have been for my appointment were i was weighed and my height measured. I then had a blood test to check my hormones. Then i seen the doctor who had a feel and said he could definatly feel excess breast tissue which my gp denied. Without me asking he said i would need and could have surgery to remove the tissue. He didnt mention LIPO which i would like aswell , he just mention making an excison under the nipple and warned me of the riskes. I told him no matter what i wanted the surgery as it was depressing me not being able to take my kids swimming, give them a cuddle properly etc without it hurting. I am now waiting for a date to go back for a mammogram to see whats under the nipple. at this stage breast cancer cant be ruled out. If you have any questions i will be more than happy to answer them thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=m3rzy50tto4
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=m1g4bbjzytb
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=akzm2yyq2zh
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=0ygmdty5jgm
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=iznttjbmtkt
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:22:29 PM by Nearliverpool »

Offline Nearliverpool

• Posting Member
Iv added some pics please let me know your opinions guys
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:36:41 PM by Nearliverpool »

Offline kingboob

An appointment within 2 weeks sounds very quick....  did you see a plastic surgeon or breast surgeon or other?

Offline Nearliverpool

• Posting Member
My gp said the NHS have to see you initially within two weeks if its any dodgy lumps you have. I think it was just a doctor i seen.

Offline kingboob

My gp said the NHS have to see you initially within two weeks if its any dodgy lumps you have. I think it was just a doctor i seen.

yeah, that is the 2 week referral used for suspected cancer normally.

I am just a bit confused because normally people have to wait for months and jump through loads of hoops first..... is your gyne a recent thing or have you had it for years?

Also,  you really want to see a plastic surgeon, if you just get someone who removes the lumps with no skill  it could look a mess.

Offline Nearliverpool

• Posting Member
Still dont no until i have the ultrasound test whether it is cancer or not!! Depends were you are really and the waiting list times. When i get my surgery it will be done by a qualified plastic surgeon working for the NHS. I have had this condition for a number of years , what do you think of the pics mate? and have you got this condition?

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Glad to hear your getting a result.. however be realistic and DON'T get your hopes up / have high expectations. I had an op on the NHS, start to finish it only took 3-4 months which I was amazed by, however I'm not satisfied with the result. My chest does look a BIT better, but there's still an excess of gland there and it still protrudes.. I'm hoping to get the surgery done properly by Karidis who's the best at the op in the country, and I know if anyone can give me a decent result it's him. Just trying to sort the money at the moment. I had my op 6 months ago so the healing is done for the most part, I've been massaging etc. I've still got a crease under my right nipple which is annoying, apart from that though there's no real visible scars which is good.

Second time lucky I hope!

Offline Nearliverpool

• Posting Member
was yours worse than mine or is mine worse? Im not getting my hopes up but any change for the better is a good start if there not done properly il have to go back again lol

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
was yours worse than mine or is mine worse? Im not getting my hopes up but any change for the better is a good start if there not done properly il have to go back again lol

Probably about the same, if not yours maybe be a little worse. Mine now looks better, but I can still feel gland behind my nipple and my chest protrudes abnormally.

To be honest, i'd advise against that attitude. If you're anything like me, you won't be pleased with anything but a decent result.. you're left feeling disappointed and gutted, you're still not free from the problem.. and you can't really consider having another surgery for AT LEAST 6 months. If you can afford to get it done with a proper surgeon like Karidis, DO IT, seriously. Okay there's a slight chance you might get a pretty good result on the NHS if you're lucky and get an experienced surgeon, but it's unlikely. The surgeon I had averaged something like 6 operations a year, he'd done 30 odd in total - he personally was very happy with the result, but I wasn't. One of the biggest regrets of my life to be honest, as it's likely that even after a second op, the final result won't be as good as it would have been if I'd had it done properly first time - however fingers crossed.

It's also unlikely you'll get a second op the NHS, they won't just dish them out if you aren't happy, it'll be VERY difficult to even get looked at for a second op, and again you'll likely have to wait well over a year. I went back to the doctor who referred me and she told me she thought it was a good result, and that she wouldn't consider me having any more surgery for at least 9-12 months.

Long story short, Levick or Karidis if you can, if not, I guess it's worth trying the NHS, maybe you'll be lucky.

Offline Nearliverpool

• Posting Member
dont want to argue but i disagree with a lot of what your saying. the proof is there there are plenty of success stories from the nhs. unfortuntaly i dont have the money to go private. Iv also known for repeat operations iv read this plenty of times, been reading on gyno for about 6 years nearly everyday.

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
dont want to argue but i disagree with a lot of what your saying. the proof is there there are plenty of success stories from the nhs. unfortuntaly i dont have the money to go private. Iv also known for repeat operations iv read this plenty of times, been reading on gyno for about 6 years nearly everyday.

Well believe what you want, but i've been there, done that.. Regretted it every day since. Everyone's different though and if its your only option then why not. I've also heard some REALLY bad horror stories on NHS, ie you'd be better with gyno.. it's very hit and miss.

Offline Nearliverpool

• Posting Member
i wouldnt be better lving with gyno because im more bothered about the pain they cause rather than the way they look. im not bothered about scars either. so as long as the breast tissue comes out il be happy.

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
i wouldnt be better lving with gyno because im more bothered about the pain they cause rather than the way they look. im not bothered about scars either. so as long as the breast tissue comes out il be happy.

Okay that's fair enough, I've never had any sort of pain from mine, it's the appearance that bothers me. Although if I did have pain, I would be quite upset if I had horrible scars all over my chest.. but then I'm bothered about my appearance/aesthetics in the sense that I want to look good and am insecure about my image. If you're not, fair enough to be honest!

Hope your op goes 110% mate, and you can live your life happily, gyne free! :)

Offline Nearliverpool

• Posting Member
cheers mate thanks a lot for your support!!!

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
cheers mate thanks a lot for your support!!!

If you've got any questions with regards to my op or my experiences leading upto/post operation just send me a PM and i'll be glad to answer them for you!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024