Author Topic: receding gynecomastia?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Zer0flight

ok, so I've had gynecomastia for 3 years now and I am almost 17 years old now. My condition seems to be hereditary because my dad and uncle both had the condition also. I recently visited a surgeon about a week ago and he said that the actual gland is pretty normal in size and that the remains of it is skin and some fat, and said i probably won't need surgery because by the looks of it, he says its receding. I'm a little skeptic because I feel as though I haven't seen a difference from last year to this year even though in previous years it has gone down a lot. But I also think the the decrease in previous years may be due to just body fat loss because I used to be a hefty kid. So basically I'm looking for a second opinion from someone else to see what I should do and if they think my problem will go away on its own. The first pic is from a year ago and the next three are present.

Offline ddh

• Silver Member
Does the surgeon you saw handle a lot of gyne cases?

If not, I'd recommend you get an opinion from a surgeon who does a lot of gyne surgeries.

And, since it appears that the only "feminine" appearance about your chest are pointy nipples, you may decide that the benefit of surgery is not worth the cost/risk. That is a decision only you can make.

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
I'm not a doctor, but I don't think your pointy nipples will ever just "go away".  You have a very mild case, but at 17, it might improve some more.  The decision of what to do will simply be up to you.  I think I'd give it another couple of years and see how it looks then.  If it continues to bother you, you can make surgery decisions at that time. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You have a variant of puffy nipples at the very least (the photos are not great) -- and perhaps some additional tissue as well.  No amount of "watchful waiting" will make them spontaneously disappear.

Best recommendation -- go to an experienced gyne surgeon for another opinion.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

ok, so I've had gynecomastia for 3 years now and I am almost 17 years old now. My condition seems to be hereditary because my dad and uncle both had the condition also. I recently visited a surgeon about a week ago and he said that the actual gland is pretty normal in size and that the remains of it is skin and some fat, and said i probably won't need surgery because by the looks of it, he says its receding. I'm a little skeptic because I feel as though I haven't seen a difference from last year to this year even though in previous years it has gone down a lot. But I also think the the decrease in previous years may be due to just body fat loss because I used to be a hefty kid. So basically I'm looking for a second opinion from someone else to see what I should do and if they think my problem will go away on its own. The first pic is from a year ago and the next three are present.

At What Age to Consider Gynecomastia Surgery is a common question.  I work with many Teenagers with Gynecomastia. You have subtle Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia. Fat, gland, and skin compose the Anatomy of Puffy Nipples.

When swollen from hormonal stimulation of puberty, glands have a chance of shrinking. Once that swelling has stabilized, residual fibrous gynecomastia will not go away on its own. What is there after 2 years often does not shrink further. If it is still shrinking wait. Once it stops, then discuss with your parents options for surgical sculpting.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Zer0flight

Thank you everyone for the help. luckily I had set up another consultation a few weeks ago with the top gynecomastia surgeon in the state for today. He said that it will probably not go away and recommended getting surgery so my parents and I went through on it and I'm getting surgery done next Tuesday!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Good luck on your upcoming surgery!  Let us know how you are doing!

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024