Author Topic: 38 and life with Gyne  (Read 2599 times)

Offline xyzed

Hi There

Found this site recently and so thankful I have. Didn't even know you could get compression shirts to hide gyne, so thanks to this site have ordered some to try :)

I'm now 38, 125KG (275 pound) 6'1 and I have had Gyne since 9 or 10 years of age. Although always a large build, I've put on a lot of weight lately mostly due to depression (88 pounds), but even back in my slimmer days the breasts have always been there at the same size. 47" across the nipples, 44" under the 'bust'.

I too have had all the 'you need a bra', 'show us your breasts' and the torment of having to take your shirt off in school when playing shirts versus no-shirts in sports and being looked at and have them poked and laughed at and so on....

I too have missed out on a lot of physical contact due to my low self-esteem of having these for so long. Thankfully most partners I've had have been very supportive and many like to play with them knowing how sensitive they are. So I'm no longer worried over that, just the fact of 'other' people seeing them (through clothes, or topless) and the laughs, jokes etc still. Soooo looking forward to seeing how a compression shirt goes.

I have had consultation from a plastic surgeon for removal, but the advice was not until I lost weight, easy to say....

That's my story so far.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:44:02 PM by xyzed »

Offline alphajc

• Posting Member
Most plastic surgeons would advise you to lose weight prior to surgery as you are more than 20-40lbs above your ideal weight.

However you could still find a PS willing to perform the procedure regardless, from one that is wiling to be a bit aggressive (called large volume liposuction) and likely you would need to get it done twice with possibly some skin excision.  I've seen some before and after pictures of people who've had such procedures done, and it can be a big success although considered controversial by many.

And to be in more proportion, likely you would want to get your abdominals and flanks liposuctioned too.  The amount of fat one is willing to take out in one procedure varies widely and you should seek out consultations with several surgeons and pick one that has a lot of experience and comfort with performing such a procedure.

Offline xyzed

Thanks for the info alphajc.

I was 33 pound (15kg) lighter when I saw the plastic surgeon and what made me go was a story on a current affair type program of someone about the same shape as me, at the time, and the after shoots (well footage) that were amazing.

Though I thoroughly understand the need to lose weight, but this person obviously had the large volume liposuction that you mention.

It's a bit of a catch 22, you could have all this surgery but then keep the same lifestyle/diet and just put it back on, but for me I'd think it would be mentally different in that being able to take a shirt off in public, go swimming down the beach without t-shirts on and so on, would actually promote a lifestyle change and not wanting to go back to my current self. Feeling good about ones self would certainly help towards maintaining and improving health/fitness levels.

I've also thought about lap-band surgery to get the weight off, as I use to go to a gym twice a day for several hours for 3 years and never lost that stomach no matter how hard I tried.

Offline alphajc

• Posting Member
Fat cells taken out during lipo doesn't grow back although fat remaining in your body can expand.  Plastic surgery often creates positive outlook and motivation for those who get it.  "I've spent all this money, energy and time...I don't want to screw it up".  More likely than not you will lose further weight on your own after the positive outlook.  I am not telling you to seek out the procedure, but I think it could help greatly with the right surgeon.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Surgery on someone like yourself would be considered "compromise" surgery.  It will reduce your chest -- and then you may be inspired to lose more weight because you have a better self image.  Surgery will not provide you with a taut, muscular chest like you see in the muscle magazines.

Obviously, weight loss would be a better way to go -- but realistically speaking, sometimes it is difficult to lose weight if you are embarrassed and do not go to the gym.  It is then that compromise surgery can be of help to you.

If compromise surgery is done, and then you lose weight, it will only get better.

Good luck.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024