Author Topic: Consultation booked with Karidis...but ....overweight  (Read 1497 times)

Offline gyno2

• Posting Member
Hey all,

I've booked a consultation with Dr. Karidis, but I have a bit of a problem - because I am overweight, I dont think he will accept me for surgery. I'm 5/11 and around 16.5 stone in weight, I have lost weight, I used to weigh around 19.5 and above, so...im now 3 stone lighter than what I was before.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation i.e. been to a consultation for gyno surgery but told to lose weight before they will consider you? Some of you may question "what's the point in seeing him for a consultation when you know that you're overweight?", well I would say that it adds perspective, and a goal to work towards.

I appreciate any feedback,

Offline wantridofgyno17

• Silver Member
Email me before you consultation and ask, possibly attach pictures? I imagine he'd be happy to go ahead with the surgery even if you are overweight.. But ultimately you won't get as good a result opposed to doing it once you've lost the weight.. But as you've said, if you get all booked in for surgery, it may give you even more motivation to continue lowering your BF% in time for surgery.

Offline thetodd

16 stone isnt a dangerous weight to operate on, realistically if you were 30 stone they prob still wouldnt turn you away if you had £4k to pay for it

the more weight you lose the better result your gonna get, if you click on the link im my sig and follow the posts of a bloke called AS400 who id class as a big lad (and also in his 40's i think) he got a really good result in my eyes. So up to you but yeah he aint going to turn you down!
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline kingboob

Lose as much weight as you can pre-op for the best results.   Worst case scenario is having the surgery  and then losing more weight and ending up with saggy excess skin which requires more surgery.  Get the weight stable before having anything done.

Having said that, being a little overweight will not be a barrier to having surgery privately - as long as it is safe to go ahead there should be no issue really.

Realistic expectations are very important.  Surgery can give you the chest of an average 16st & 5ft 11'' guy -  no surgeon can give you a perfectly flat & athletic looking chest at your current weigh.

Having said all of that - I had surgery when still  overweight and I'm very happy. I was massively overweight with huge boobs and lost a load before having surgery and for me a 90% improvement was worth it,  if you are expecting 100% perfection you may be disappointed.

Go and see what he has to say really.  If he says lose more then you have perfect motivation, if he has happy to go ahead then there is nothing to worry about.

Offline Nomoregyne

• Bronze Member
Hey brother,

I dont think your actual "weight" is really the issue but more your bodyfat percentage. If your body fat is high, then results might not be as optimal as they could be (lets say high is above 19%).

I personally think that you should have the suregry at the lowest possible BF% you can get too. I myself am 6'0 tall at 16st. However my bodyfat is around 15%. I lift weights so you can throw that BMI/scale weight thing out the window. According to my BMI I am classed as obese, as are many professional rugby players!!

Im guessing you are on the higher bodyfat side (based upon being 19st at 5'11 at one point). Lift weights, get your cardio in and clean up your diet. That will lower your BF% without really trying at first.

Also, if you have the money they will operate regardless of your weight I feel. Unless you are maybe morbidly obese. Losing the fat is about getting the best result for you.

Good luck
Good luck

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024