Author Topic: Will A Surgeon Say No To Surgery If It's Too Minor  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Lee1190

• Posting Member
I have a minor case of gyno and have set a consultation with a surgeon. I'm afraid he's going to look at my gyno and tell me it's not enough to warrant surgery. I'm very selfconscious about it even if it's a minor case. Sometimes it's worse than others and I can clearly feel a small gland under both nipples. As long as I have a gland a surgeon has to do it, correct?

DrBermant

I have a minor case of gyno and have set a consultation with a surgeon. I'm afraid he's going to look at my gyno and tell me it's not enough to warrant surgery. I'm very selfconscious about it even if it's a minor case. Sometimes it's worse than others and I can clearly feel a small gland under both nipples. As long as I have a gland a surgeon has to do it, correct?

Feeling gland alone is not sufficient. There needs to be a contour issue. Sometimes the contour is a subtle one that still has good surgical options.

That is the advantage of picking a surgeon who demonstrates the full spectrum of what they offer on their website. You can find many such subtle cases of gynecomastia I have treated. Yes, I have seen patients with contour issues that are so minimal and yet concerns so great that they are not appropriate candidates for surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
For some patients with small amounts of tissue, your chest can look great when in a cold environment (the areola tightens and pushes the excess tissue inwards).  Yet, when the tissues relax, there is a contour change with prominence of the nipple/areola.

Some men opt to live with this -- and simply wear a compression shirt to maintain proper shape.

On the other hand, surgery to correct this seemingly "minor" problem is NOT minor surgery.  It requires great skill and technique to correct the problem while not simultaneously causing a crater deformity.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Lee1190

• Posting Member
That's the case with me. Although some days my nipples appear more puffy than others. I'm worried that on the day I go in for a consultation with my surgeon that he's going to look at it and not agree to do the surgery.

DrBermant

That's the case with me. Although some days my nipples appear more puffy than others. I'm worried that on the day I go in for a consultation with my surgeon that he's going to look at it and not agree to do the surgery.

That is why in my exam room I maintain a standard warm temperature to eliminate that variable. It is the same temperature I use in my before / after pictures. I have seen patients complain that doctors they went to had such cold exam rooms that their Nipple Areola Muscles Flattened their Puffy Nipples. In addition, I perform a dynamic evaluation of my patients' chest: watching how it flexes and moves. Watching how tissues move helps demonstrate subtle issues.

Again the advantage of picking a surgeon who demonstrates subtle puffy nipple sculpture on their web site can minimize a wasted visit.  Check out this subtle case of Puffy Nipples in a Competition Bodybuilder.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024