Author Topic: Surgery Preparation - Advice pls  (Read 2315 times)

Offline TommyA

• Posting Member
Hello

I am booked in for the operation in 6 days with Dr K, really nervous and on the other hand can't wait as have been thinking about this for years. I just had a few questions people might be able to help with?

1: Should I remove my chest hair and underarm hair now?  I read shaving makes it itch terrible when it grows back so should I leave it alone but read it is a killer when removing the dressings or should I wax it or use hair remover cream as would think both of them take so long to grow back it wont be an issue?

2: I have read Pineapple can help with the healing - is Pineapple Juice OK or tinned pineapple or should it be fresh and should you start before the Op or just after?

3: Would you recommend staying in a nearby hotel after the operation and then making the journey back the next day? Just thought in case of any complication in first 24 hours I would be right near hospital?? - home is a couple of hours drive (with someone lese driving of course!).

Many Thanks, any advice I will be v grateful for

Offline dannyboy740

• Posting Member
Mate, def remove the hair... just shave it with hair clippers, no need to shave with razor.
Trust me wish I did when i had my op, getting dressings off was a chore! :o

Offline JamesDawson

• Bronze Member
Buy a razor designed for shaving your head hair/beard/sideburns etc and just run it across your chest and underarms, it doesn't really itch after the first hour or two,and if you feel like itching force yourself to stop. Chest hair can distort the view of your chest so from shaving you can get a clear idea of the contours and shape of your chest aswell as how much gyno you may have.

A healthy balanced diet of fruit/vegetables and proteins will really help with healing before and after surgery.

http://living.oneindia.in/health/wellbeing/health-benefits-pineapple.html
Judging from this article pineapple has a lot of benefits so a glass a day would be more than enough.

I had to stay in the hospital overnight when I had my surgery and my surgeon had a look at me the next morning before my drains were taken out. I'd recommend staying the night in the rare chance their is a complication.

Offline thetodd

1/ yeah shave your hair, hair clippers will work fine but i do like to be totally clean shaven i used to use

sensetive shaving cream
a decent razor (mach3 etc)
and moisturisor for afterwards

by day 6 itl all be settled and youl just have a bit of stubble, after the surgery id reccomend veet if your skin reacts alright to it but wait till after the surgery just incase it doesnt

2: Just get some pineapple juice mate, dont get tinned because there missing whatever the healing property is (or so i read). Grab some packs of chopped up pineapple from tesco and a load of bottled juice thatl last you. Have it when you get in from the op its not imperative you have it at certain times but it definatley made me feel fresher after the op.

3: No not at all as long as youve got someone driving youl be fine. If your having surgery on the saturday leave early as you can and get there at 6ish and youl get a spot right outside the hospital where you can leave it all day (because the parking restrictions arent forced on a saturday). But theres plenty of car parks around the place just expect to pay for them

You cant stay overnight with karidis as far as im aware, and you dont need to he doesnt use drains etc

Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline kingboob

Hello

I am booked in for the operation in 6 days with Dr K, really nervous and on the other hand can't wait as have been thinking about this for years. I just had a few questions people might be able to help with?

1: Should I remove my chest hair and underarm hair now?  I read shaving makes it itch terrible when it grows back so should I leave it alone but read it is a killer when removing the dressings or should I wax it or use hair remover cream as would think both of them take so long to grow back it wont be an issue?

2: I have read Pineapple can help with the healing - is Pineapple Juice OK or tinned pineapple or should it be fresh and should you start before the Op or just after?

3: Would you recommend staying in a nearby hotel after the operation and then making the journey back the next day? Just thought in case of any complication in first 24 hours I would be right near hospital?? - home is a couple of hours drive (with someone lese driving of course!).

Many Thanks, any advice I will be v grateful for

I think you should be fine to go home after the surgeon has checked you over and discharged you.      Generally if anything is going to go wrong (bleeding etc) it happens pretty quickly...... just don't do anything dumb like lifting heavy objects or getting your heart rate up for a few days.

Hair clippers on the body hair if you really aren't man enough to take the pain of a free chest wax when the plasters / bandages come off........

I call bullshit on arnica/pineapple/Bio oil and other expensive scar creams.........   go ahead if you want but I personally I think they are a rip-off.    A good way to spend that money would be on a couple of boxes of co-codamol or Nurofen Plus;  that way you have plenty of pain relief in stock if things get a bit sore in the first few days post op.    Otherwise eat sensibly and don't over do things.

Offline TommyA

• Posting Member
Thanks everyone for the reply its a great help.  Really nervous now, been toying with getting this done for the last 10 years and want to do things the best way if I can and you guys know best
Thanks again

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024