Author Topic: Need your advice, should i go for surgery?!  (Read 2467 times)

Offline boobiii

Hi all

Im 24 years old, my weight is 178lbs and 178cm tall, i lost too much weight but still cant lose it on chest area so i went for a consultation and dr said that he can do it using liposuction alone and my chest will be flat since my case is not so bad using local anesthetic+ sedation and should take around 45 mins, but i also went to another consultation for a different doctor and he said my case will require both excision and lipo since if he did lipo alone, this will lead for skin to sag by time and there will still be a some tissue left, honestly im confused between the two, so i need your advice plz, because honestly i had gyno for a long time and tried everything ( weight loss, gym, cardio), which working well for all my body except my chest area.

My chest pics:
img853.imageshack.us/i/dsc00189k.jpg/
img189.imageshack.us/i/dsc00190sam.jpg/
img535.imageshack.us/i/dsc00191jv.jpg/
img708.imageshack.us/i/dsc00192b.jpg/
img534.imageshack.us/i/dsc00193x.jpg/

new links:
i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/adrenalineiii/DSC00193.jpg
i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/adrenalineiii/DSC00192.jpg
i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/adrenalineiii/DSC00191.jpg
i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/adrenalineiii/DSC00190.jpg
i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/adrenalineiii/DSC00189.jpg
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:28:50 AM by boobiii »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately, none of your photo links will work -- so we cannot look at your situation.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Hi all

Im 24 years old, my weight is 178lbs and 178cm tall, i lost too much weight but still cant lose it on chest area so i went for a consultation and dr said that he can do it using liposuction alone and my chest will be flat since my case is not so bad using local anesthetic+ sedation and should take around 45 mins, but i also went to another consultation for a different doctor and he said my case will require both excision and lipo since if he did lipo alone, this will lead for skin to sag by time and there will still be a some tissue left, honestly im confused between the two, so i need your advice plz, because honestly i had gyno for a long time and tried everything ( weight loss, gym, cardio), which working well for all my body except my chest area.

Although I have reviewed the images you have posted, they are inadequate for a recommendation "should i go for surgery?!" If you have lost a significant amount of weight, loose skin can be a component of the deformity. For my patients who I am discussing possible loose skin issues, the standard pictures I developed for such situations use gravity to see how much skin is hanging when bending over. The next issue is to determine if the areola are below the lower aspects of the pectoral muscles. For this the flexing muscle views help me see what is the relationship of the muscle with the location of the nipples. Both arms down at the sides when standing permit the loose skin to hang. When one arm is up, it distorts the picture for symmetry. In addition, for my patients that I am discussing if surgery should be done, I ask for detailed information forms to be completed. One critical factor for the weight loss patient would be what was the maximum weight, current weight, height, and planned weight. There are many other just as important issues on those forms. Without such details, comments about should someone have surgery are rather empty.

Major weight loss can help with global fat issues but will not mange gland and significant skin issues can remain contour problems. Liposuction will not tighten sagging skin and will not manage the gland component. I have posted examples on this forum before of some of the many failures I have seen from patients complaining about results from other surgeons. If loose skin is a major deforming factor, then there is the issue of the compromise of loose skin vs scars for the skin reduction access. Although pictures can be a starting point, the in office examination is often best when loose skin is a major component of the contour issue.

Each doctor can have his / her own opinions. Sometimes it can be confusing as to which one to follow. My advice about which doctor to select has been posted here on this forum before, but it boils down to what does that doctor's results look like. What does the sculpted tissues look like when flexing muscles, arms up overhead, bending over (for weight loss patients), and from multiple angles. Does that doctor have before and after surgery pictures that resemble your problem, and more important, how does the result look?  Beyond that, what path did the patient need to take to get there, swelling, bruising, comfort, repeat surgeries, and other details are all important in selecting whose advice to follow.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Specializing in Gynecomastia and Surgical Sculpture of the Male Chest
(804) 748-7737

Offline pokeweed

• Posting Member
Not able to see your pics. Sorry.

Offline boobiii

Offline snugglebandit

• Posting Member
You don't look like you have anything at all really from those pics. You could lose some weight though.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your photos are not adequate to truly evaluate your chest.  Your BMI, though, is 25, which is quite satisfactory.

There is no harm in trying to lose another 10-15 lbs and exercising to build up some muscle.  Then post some standard photos -- we might be better able to help you at that time.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024