Author Topic: Surgery with Dr. Karidis (Tuesday May 15th)  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Mo123

Surgery with Dr. Karidis (Tuesday May 15th)
To all contributors and visitors.

Here’s my story…

At age 9 I remember getting some almighty stabbing chest pains. I told my doctor but he put it down to indigestion. A shame some adults don’t take kids seriously. I later (as an adult) realised that these were mild autism related fits.

I started secondary school when I was 11 and on the first day in my new class I met a girl and instantly experienced my first love…at first sight. Now how do I ask her out? I’m from a different culture, religion, ethnicity, low income family. The beginnings of some childhood worries...Damn, I hate being right.

It took me a year to build up the courage to speak to her but like a mule everything I tried to say to her came out garbled. I remember once asking her why she had hairy arms in biology class. A classic ‘Sheldon’ moment. (‘Big Bang Theory’ if you ever watch it) and not to mention my mum’s knitted sweater I wore to that year’s disco! Honestly, in that year while Michael J Fox was trying to go back to the future I was permanently stuck in the past. (Note to any immigrant parents…when in Rome…)

Over the summer holidays I grew a couple of inches taller and a breast size larger. Erm. What is going on? I went to see my doctor as I had a cold and he checked my breathing and noticed my rounded chest and enlarged itchy nipples. He referred me for a biopsy thinking it might be malignant. I’m 13; how the darn do I know what malignant means??

A visit to the hospital and two large incisions with 10 stitches later and I still have the boobs. Seems a biopsy is just a tissue sample and the NHS in all their wisdom decided to leave the gland all in there. When I went to see the consultant a few weeks later he noticed the boobs still present and I shit you not…he tried to remove it via a six inch needle. Suffice it to say it was of little success and was the first time I suffered shock. Albeit I recognised it as shock as an adult looking back. I went back again to see another consultant 2 weeks later and she simply said there was no cure. Just like some women have small and large breasts so do men. No cure? I’m fucked.

I finished off the last 3 years of school getting out of football, cross country or any sports that involved using the showers. I was good at football too. I was a Bruce Lee fan but never took up my love of martial arts. Although I had a healthy interest in women (remember those Paul Raymond days…hehe) I just couldn’t get past the nightmare scenario of being in the cinema and it’s the girl who grabs my breast!!

I left school and although I never got the girl my chest pains stopped. Amazing that some good can come out of some heartache…but regret is something that stays with you. Wish I had more courage back then.

Anyway college and University brought about a new regime of body building. A way to hide my boobs…but no matter what I tried all my friends would say that my chest was sticking out too much.

Luckily I was in good enough shape and managed to get married to a wonderful woman and life takes over. Kids, work, house etc. To be honest my boobs became less of an issue especially as my wife didn’t seem to notice so I just let myself go a bit and it helped to hide the boobs. It was almost acceptable to be fat with boobs rather than medium sized with boobs.

But although I became thick skinned to all the nasty passing comments one thing did affect me. I didn’t want to be an embarrassment to my kids. So for the past 5 years I have been visiting this site and reading all your experiences for which I am greatly thankful for. I finally had the opportunity to go for the procedure and just wanted to make sure I could find someone with the gift of healing.

Two months ago I made an appointment to see Dr. Karidis.

My Procedure

I am 38, 5ft 10 and 16 stone with heavy gynae (gland and fat). Dr. Karidis did not see this as a major issue and even suggested doing my sides (where the breast goes under the armpit). He was of course right. I didn’t really have any questions as purely meeting him was sufficient for me to know he was a genuine person.  I know some people on her have said he makes lots of money but personally I didn’t sense that as his primary reason for doing what he does.

His staff are impeccable and kept me updated regularly. I had my bloods done on the same day. However my bloods came back with low ratio of clotting. The nurse was lovely and went through what I was taking. Turns out that a vitamin I was taking for joint repair (I sprained my ankle a while back) was thinning my blood. I was taking Glucosamine Sulphate daily. I stopped and two weeks later had bloods done again and was fine.

I booked in for May 15th and was cared for by the hospital staff who were again fantastic. I was prepped and noticed the anaesthetist putting a needle in my hand (didn’t feel it just observed him. Then I observed him doing it again to my other hand. I was getting annoyed so asked when would I be going in for the op. Turns out I had already had it and was in recovery. WOW!

Anyway got the train home and the next day took the dressing off. I had two incisions to my nipples (one on each side) and a total of six sutures. Hmm must have been a lot of fat and gland. Will find out when I see Dr. Karidis in 6 weeks. I replaced the plasters over the sutures with waterproof ones but had to leave gauze on the nipple areas since they were still slightly oozing. I will replace with waterproof plaster tomorrow.

Pain is manageable with co-dydramol (although I was also prescribed Tremadol but found it too strong) but I noticed it more after I removed the heavy dressing. My chest area is surprisingly clear and can see no bruising although it is numb to the touch. Maybe it will come out in the next few days. Anyway I am very happy with the procedure as I am flat for the first time in 25 years. Just need to work on my belly now and sense a change in lifestyle coming on. Hopefully a healthier one. The wife is impressed and I hope the recovery goes well (lots of useful and clear info from Dr. Karidis’ office on expectations which I really liked) so I can get down to the seaside with the kids.

Anything else? I should have waxed/trimmed my chest (although I did shave my armpits) as the dressing was a sod to take off.

Other than that it was worth it and in the words of Dr. Karidis’ PA; Nicola, ‘it is never too late.’

I hope my story inspires someone to consider surgery and thank you for reading.

Offline dexs

• Silver Member
Re: Surgery with Dr. Karidis (Tuesday May 15th)
Great story Mo and congrats on the surgery.

The funny thing is that now the moobs have gone it's the belly that will bother you.  I'm trying to shift weight from my gut as this now sticks out more lol

Offline ChestMan

• Silver Member
Mo, welcome to the site mate. Good story mate, should all be a distant memory soon...Good luck with your recovery. I'm 3 weeks post op and just did my first post op massage using bio oil and boy did it feel good.

My belly was the first thing I noticed when I took of all the dressings. No excuses now guys...

Offline Mo123

I've noticed some uneven swelling and creasing to my nipple area where I had the incisions. I know the recovery period is the hardest so will have to be patient. Still feeling numb in general chest area where i had lipo. Wish i had trimmed my chest hair as those plasters are going to hurt coming off!

Am having Arnica 5 times a day and eating pineapple and kiwi. Vest tightens after a while when seated. It is so bloody tight but will bear with it. Don't know if anyone had a debrief with Dr. Karidis Private Nurse Amy but she was adamant that i keep the vest on for 2 weeks and then as much as possible for another 3/4 weeks. No weight training for 3 months. Only brisk walking/jogging after two weeks.

I aim to comply and have already bought some compression vests from Asda to wear after the 6 week mark. These are a snug fit and will help to keep contours in place and are not as rigid as the hospital vest. Read a post somewhere that they were wearing body armour under the vest. I have a body armour vest but to be honest it's about as tight as the vest.

In terms of massage, will probably use Arnica gel after 4 weeks. Hope to post progress and some pics later.

Offline Mo123

Had bruising on chest come up in lovely jaundice yellow yesterday and could really feel the tenderness/swelling especially on my left side where i had more pronounced gyno. Upped my co-dydramol to 3 per day.

Have been wearing a 'bodyarmour' vest underneath my vest during the day and it has helped with comfort.

I have removed four plasters today (by the armpits and just under the armpits). I have plasters left on the nipple incisions and two lipo sites under the nipples.

Ribs feel tender as does my back (from the armpits to the back). Have a follow up with Dr. Karidis in July so hope to find out how much was taken out. It feels (and looks) like a lot.

For info cost of surgery was:

Dr. Karidis - £3600 (lipo and gland removal to chest and sides)
St Johns Hospital - £1658
Bloods - £137 and £55 (for re-test)
TOTAL - £5450

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
Mo123, best of luck with the recovery. Funny that your doc tried to aspirate your Gyne with a needle, If only it were that simple!

Offline Mo123

First day back at work behind my desk. Exactly 14 days post op. I didn't wear the vest but wore a compression garment. Had a few comments about having lost weight etc. in hindsight would have taken 3 weeks off from work as am really feeling the bruising especially to my sides. Vest is a killer but am still wearing it at night. Best thing I've done so far is buy a shirt in size large (I bet I can get down to medium size if I lose my belly :-) ....i have a load of XL and XXL tops that I will have to get rid off. Also I reckon I can drop a couple of inches off my waist to 36'. I cannot remember the last time I was able to fit into a medium or large top!!!!!

So glad I did this. It's changed my life.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024