Author Topic: Teenage gynocomastia and surgery  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Purplefence

Well let me keep this short as not to bore you. I've had gyno since I was about 13/14. Doctors brushed it off as fat; I became very self-aware as I got older.... Lost all my weight (well, I grew taller and the weight fell off  :D), and returned to the doctors who finally admitted it was gynocomastia, stating it would go by the time I finish puberty.

I don't think the gyno itself is not bad in comparison to some I've seen (6 or 7/10) in severity, it's basically very puffy nipples, a slight 'breast' shape overall; and they are fairly sensitive plus the lump of tissue is very thick. The juxtaposition with my frail frame is almost laughable. (I'll try to take pictures :'( :-\ :-[)

I'm 18 now, still going through puberty I guess , 6ft tall and ridiculously thin - which seems to make the gynocomastia more prominent. I was thinking of going to the gym, and gaining muscle but if I did somehow get 'bigger' I would end up looking like I've taken steroids and I can't gain weight easily anyway. I can't wear T-shirts without hunching my back, I can't go swimming, I wear jumpers in the blazing heat etc. I'm even supposed to go on holiday with a couple friends this summer but guess what - I can't.

It won't go away, I know it won't, and I am not prepared to live with this all my life. All my self confidence issues stem from my gyno.

So; I'm going to Uni next year hopefully and would like to have surgery and make a fresh start.

My Dr is trying to put me onto depression tablets - I am not depressed in any form or way, the gyno is effecting my quality of life, but I am not depressed. I was planning on using it as a way to get surgery on the NHS, is this possible?

If not, how much is private surgery and are there any recommended Dr's? Plus I am expecting a hefty price, so is it possible to pay in instalments or something? I'm going to try and fund myself completely (Haven't thought about how yet!), I don't want my family to have to carry my own burdens. Hmm, I think my minimum wage job won't do; perhaps my student loan may come in handy..  ::)

Also, this may come across as morbid but I'm so happy I am not the only one... there is something comforting about knowing people can relate to you.

Damn, I said I would keep it short.. aha.  ;D

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
Hey mate, I can certainly relate to your issues around gyno and I know alot of other people on here do too. only the day before my op my friend asked what was with my super thick long sleeve shirt I was wearing on what was a boiling day. it was my favorite shirt which I specially selected on the basis that it had pockets on the chest, which helped hide my gyno lol. I also made excuses about holidays just because of gyno - seems sad when I think about it, but I really hated it that much.

I was planning on using it as a way to get surgery on the NHS, is this possible?

Its possible. Most people are unsuccessful with the NHS though, and besides, from what i have seen they are done by good surgeons but surgeons who don't necessarily have the expertise in gyno surgery that some of the private surgeons do. Obviously its tempting though because it would be free! For the best chance of being accepted for an NHS op you should, although not necessarily, have more severe gyno. Its essential to emphasise the emotional trauma you suffer and the physical consequences i.e say it gives you pain, is always really tender.

If not, how much is private surgery and are there any recommended Dr's? Plus I am expecting a hefty price, so is it possible to pay in instalments or something?

you would need about 4 grand for private surgery in the UK. Karidis and Levick come recommended time and time again on this forum.

I'm going to try and fund myself completely (Haven't thought about how yet!), I don't want my family to have to carry my own burdens. Hmm, I think my minimum wage job won't do; perhaps my student loan may come in handy..  ::)

Gotta be careful with a student loan because it seems like a lot when you get it as a lump sum in your bank account but in reality it doesn't afford you much when you cost all your rent food etc etc. You can apply for a student bank account. Natwest give you an overdraft of about £500 in the first year which goes up to about 1500 in the 3rd year, that's interest free until a year after graduation. you can also get £500 student credit cards quite easily when you become a student.

Offline Purplefence

Hey, sorry for such a late reply, I've just finished my exams. Been sorting out work experience and what not for the summer. Thank you for some great information and congrats on the OP, hope all is going well, great post op pics by the way.

Hey mate, I can certainly relate to your issues around gyno and I know alot of other people on here do too. only the day before my op my friend asked what was with my super thick long sleeve shirt I was wearing on what was a boiling day. it was my favorite shirt which I specially selected on the basis that it had pockets on the chest, which helped hide my gyno lol. I also made excuses about holidays just because of gyno - seems sad when I think about it, but I really hated it that much.

Yeah... that's probably the worst part for me, hence why I tend to hate summer. Aha, I've also got a particular jumper which I wear to cover up, it doesn't help that it's black either. I've volunteered to help out at a summer camp this holiday, a week in which I work with disabled children... I really wonder how I am going to manage...

Its possible. Most people are unsuccessful with the NHS though, and besides, from what i have seen they are done by good surgeons but surgeons who don't necessarily have the expertise in gyno surgery that some of the private surgeons do. Obviously its tempting though because it would be free! For the best chance of being accepted for an NHS op you should, although not necessarily, have more severe gyno. Its essential to emphasise the emotional trauma you suffer and the physical consequences i.e say it gives you pain, is always really tender.

Ah, ok... I'm really not going to put my hopes on the NHS at all. I think all I will do is inform my GP of what I'm planning to do and see if they can offer any form of assistance, not necessarily for the surgery itself though. I guess it would just be nice if someone close to me that understands was truly aware. But, yeah I will certainly highlight those facets of how it is effecting me.

you would need about 4 grand for private surgery in the UK. Karidis and Levick come recommended time and time again on this forum.

Gotta be careful with a student loan because it seems like a lot when you get it as a lump sum in your bank account but in reality it doesn't afford you much when you cost all your rent food etc etc. You can apply for a student bank account. Natwest give you an overdraft of about £500 in the first year which goes up to about 1500 in the 3rd year, that's interest free until a year after graduation. you can also get £500 student credit cards quite easily when you become a student.

Wow, it's certainly not pocket money. I guess saving up for a car is out of the window. With those two Dr's you mentioned, is it possible to pay in instalments, or has it got to be all at once? Would be much more easier, and quicker. Hmm, going to take a better at private clinics.

Thankfully I've  thought up a fair few options to fund my surgery. So hopefully by this time next year I will be sitting on a substantial amount. Plus, you're right I really shouldn't meddle with my student loan/grants or any bursaries I may receive, I don't want to end up homeless or near starvation lol. I wasn't aware of the perks of a student bank account, thanks. Perhaps I will use it to supplement anything I raise.

Whilst trawling the internet I've also come across Dr's/Clinics abroad offering the same surgery for a fraction of the price; why are they cheaper? (I was actually reading the metro this morning on the underground, and I saw an advert for a cosmetic clinic somewhere in Europe, reminded me that I had started this thread lol) Are they a viable option?

To be honest, the surgery itself I am not worried about (sleep, wake done) but the months after whilst the wounds are healing... Issues like inverted nipples, scarring/scar tissue (which apparently I am more prone to as I have darker skin), fluid build up (I  may have to use a syringe on myself... pure fear) and wearing compression garments (what if I don't use it regularly/properly and it messes up everything) etc. As I said before I do not want to tell my family, and I am fairly naive so any possible complications or/and trouble I may have post-op need to be minimised. I just need to get to the point where I fully understand what I have to do after the operation, so it doesn't seem as daunting.

The day will come when I can wear a white t-shirt without thinking twice.

I just want to be able to someday go the park, pool, beach... wherever and let it all hang out, stickman legs/arms and all  8) ;D

Offline captain chesty

• Silver Member
Yeh, surgery in other EU countries (mainly Poland) is an option. loads of people do it now because its considerably cheaper. I think your looking at like half the price of the UK rate or similar. Its a lot of money to save but personally I felt much more confident with surgery here in the UK. when it comes to something like this money isn't the most important factor and Levick and Karidis, although expensive, have all the great results to show for it.

When I had my surgery, paying in installments wasn't a problem. You could pay in any method you liked provided as you paid in full before your surgery day. I paid over 3 payments between my consultation and surgery, with the last just before I had the surgery. Things are probably similar for Karidis although I think you have a 1000 deposit to pay first with him - better off asking a Kardis patient I think.

Don't worry about about the possibility of fluid build up, if it does happen you just go and see the surgeon and they will drain it for you as part of the aftercare. Its unlikely to happen if you stick to the pre and post op advice of your surgeon. Also I wouldn't preoccupy yourself with worrying about what you have to do for surgery, people are always saying you have to get this and get that but really you just have to relax and let your body get on with healing.

'The day will come when I can wear a white t-shirt without thinking twice' - yes mate it will!!

'I just want to be able to someday go the park, pool, beach... wherever and let it all hang out, stickman legs/arms and all' - that as well !! I was always dreaming of that before the surgery and it feels great to feel the breeze on your chest - your time will come mate haha, good luck.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024