Author Topic: Surgery with Karidis completed.  (Read 6285 times)

Offline InAmberClad

• Posting Member
I have had a consultation with another surgeon (which I was very happy with) and have a consultation with Alex Karidis on Friday. I want a second opinion (like I said I was very happy with the first surgeon, but just want to make sure I get the same info) and have heard very good things about Karidis on this forum.

My story is similar to many others who have shared them. I used to go swimming at least twice a week from as far back as I can remember, up until I reached the age of twelve. I remember making my Mum write me notes to get me out of going swimming. I always thought that it was gaining weight that caused my chest to get bigger, but looking back I think it was the other way round.

I turned to food to deal with situations I couldn't otherwise deal with. This then led to me developing Binge Eating Disorder and my weight increased to the point where I was obese. Over the years my weight went up and down and by the time I left University I was obese again. I got my eating under control and lost 4.5 stone and my weight back in the normal range. Even after losing all that weight my chest was still the same. Assuming it was fat I made an appointment with a cosmetic surgeon. I said that I wanted liposuction to get rid of the fat in my chest and the fat from my abdomen that wouldn't shift.

He examined me and said that, in fact, my chest was the result of gynecomastia. He said the only way to treat it is to cut out the gland tissue and also remove the excess skin. He told me to go away and think about it for as long as I needed as the skin removal will leave me with visible scars. I have decided that I'd rather have the surgery and be left with scars than live with this condition. At the moment no one sees me without my top on and so if I still don't take my top off after the surgery, at least I'll be comfortable in my clothing.

I want to blog my journey like other people on this site have as I have benefited greatly from other people's stories and want to give something back. I will post again once I have had my consultation with Dr. Karidis.      
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:22:23 PM by InAmberClad »

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Karidis is a nice bloke, had my consultation with him a couple of weeks ago. Have my surgery booked 29th November. I'm sure he'll be a useful second opinion, he's done a ton of these, good luck. Do you have far to travel?

Offline InAmberClad

• Posting Member
I'm coming from Kent so It's less than an hour on the high speed train. Looking forward to finally getting this sorted although it does seem like it's ages away until I will have the surgery. Hopefully once it's booked it will go quickly and I'll be on the other side.

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Ah, yea that's a nice enough journey then. I think like most things you book that you are excited about (never thought I'd be saying I am excited by surgery but I am lol), I think at first it feels like its dragging out and taking ages then as it gets close the time just seems to go.

Offline InAmberClad

• Posting Member
Well I've just got back from my consultation. It was easy enough to get to the hospital via the underground. Anyway, I was really happy with the consultation. Karidis said that I won't need skin removal as he has operated on people with bigger breasts than me and they didn't need any skin removed. He showed my some before and after images and I said if he could get me anywhere near to those then I'd be happy. He said he was confident that he would be able to give me a flat chest and stomach (I'm having liposuction on my abdomen to get rid of some stubborn fat). I'm going to think about it over the weekend to make sure I'm happy and then (hopefully) book the appointment on Monday.  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:13:50 AM by InAmberClad »

Offline Pez2

• Bronze Member
I'm seeing levick for surgery in December. I was also thinking of having lipo to the abdomen but think it would cost way too much to have the two procedures done, Like 7k+. I've heard nothing but good things of either karidis or levick but don't make your decision lightly (as I'm sure you won't)
Gyno free :)

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Welcome mate

Best of luck with whatever path you decide to take fella, make sure you let us know as I can see a new batch of logs and charatcters emerging now, which is great for the forum but even better for you guys ;)

Offline InAmberClad

• Posting Member
Thanks. I've decided to go with Karidis and they have a slot on the 13th November (a week tomorrow!). Initially they said 15th January but I stressed how I'd like to get it done sooner. As I'm having the lipo on my abdomen I need to stay in overnight so it was a bit more difficult to accommodate me, but they've managed it. Really excited at the moment, but am still holding my breath until I get the confirmation. My Dad is paying for me as I'm finishing my Post Grad degree and hence have no money, so he's going to phone up this afternoon and pay Karidis' fee. I've got to back up and have the bloods done as I don't think there will be the time to do it through the NHS (assuming they'd even do it).

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:19:33 PM by InAmberClad »

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member

Offline sjwsjw

• Gold Member
Oops, phone went crazy then.

Nice catch on the date, that is a quick appointment!

Offline InAmberClad

• Posting Member
Yeah, really lucky! Got the confirmation email today, all booked and ready to go. My Dad has to phone up tomorrow to pay the hospital fees as they need to send over the paperwork. Got to go up tomorrow and have the blood tests done too. Looking forward to being on the other side soon!   

Offline InAmberClad

• Posting Member
Just got back from having the bloods taken. It was painless, apart from the cost (£146)! They said the results would be with Karidis' office by the end of tomorrow. While I was up there I handed in the signed cancellation policy forms, that way I know they have received them. I think that's all I need to do so now I can sit back and wait for Tuesday. Really excited at the moment but I expect the nerves will start to kick in on Monday. Fortunately I'm at work all day so that should keep my mind off it. If anyone has any words of advice they'd be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:09:29 AM by InAmberClad »

Offline InAmberClad

• Posting Member
Got an email this morning saying they have received the blood test results and everything is fine. Didn't think there would be anything wrong but it does make you a bit paranoid! Everything has been paid for so now I can sit back and (try to) relax. Monday is going to be busy which is good as it will hopefully keep my mind off it. Excited at the moment but I know I'll be bricking it when I'm sat in my room in the surgical gowns!

I've got to say I've been really impressed with the speed of responses I have received, particularly Nicola, Karidis' patient coordinator. I know I'll be in good hands. 

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Congrats mate, you're well on your way.  I had mine on a Tuesday seven weeks ago now.  I went in around 09:10 so think I was second and I was back round for about 11:15 then released about 3pm so wasn't in the hospital for that long really. 

You don't get time to worry once you've got the gown on etc...it's too exciting ;)  Plus the nurse will be in all the time making sure you have everything you need prior to surgery, I just sat back and watched tv, couldn't wait to be honest.  Best of luck Chief!

Offline InAmberClad

• Posting Member
Thanks mate. My admission time is 10:30 so I can have a bit of a lazy start, although I'll probably be awake at the crack of dawn. Yeah once I'm settled in I plan to just watch TV, although there will probably be bugger all on. I've seen your thread and if I get results anywhere near to yours I'll be stoked. Just got to get through the weekend and Monday will fly by. I'm hoping the results will be worth it after this massive build-up. Having seen tonnes of Karidis' results I'm sure I'll be happy with the results.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024