Author Topic: Scar tissue advice  (Read 2096 times)

Offline zack42

• Silver Member
I am 13 days post op and had my first massage today.  There are clearly some hard lumps that have formed in my chest, particularly in the tissue around the nipple and just below.

I was wondering whether anybody could give me some advice on how long it lasts, whether it goes away completely with time and if there's anything else other than regular massage that might help to reduce it.

Thanks a lot for your help,

zack

PS.  My thread is in the 'Europe' section but there aren't so many people contributing over there.

Offline adamj

• Silver Member
Still very early days, it goes down with time

Offline zack42

• Silver Member
Fair enough, thanks adam.

I was just wondering whether there was anything else I can be doing to help.

Sounds like massage and patience are about it!

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
I'm 7 weeks post mate and still have a big lump of scar tissue on my right hand side which decreases daily.  It was huge a couple of weeks ago, always puffing out.  I was massaging far too much too, 20 mins at a time. 

After my follow up I was told 5 mins at a time 2-3 times a day.  If you massage too much or too frequently, you can cause bleeding, while not detrimental, it will prolong your healing phase.  And I have read folk with scar tissue and swelling still present after 6 months, patience is the key here mate ;)

Offline zack42

• Silver Member
Thanks Nipper.

I've found there's so much contradictory advice on the massaging.

Some say you have to do an hour per day and it needs to be quite vicious, then others (like you) feel that less is more.

I'm confused!

I have to admit this is a pretty depressing stage of the process but will try to be patient.

Offline wezzer

• Bronze Member
  • Ain't nobody got time for dat!
From what I've read, vigorous massaging actually makes it worse. Someone recommended using an electronic massager, and this makes the most sense to me as you can just hold it gently on the nipple and it will give a nice vibration without the pressure.

I'm curious as to whether wearing the compression vest for longer helps with scar tissue formation, as surely if the skin is compressed then there literally wouldn't be room for scar tissue to develop properly.

Offline Nipper

• Gold Member
Scar tissue may benefit from less time with the vest on but it's all down to the individual and how long they can bear it.  It gave me a rash and spots so I ditched it after a month.  But as soon as the initial 2 weeks were up and I had an 8 hour breather I could feel where my chest was numb as my top would lie on it and make it tingle, this is where you will get the scar tissue/swelling.  Karidis told me there is no tenderness without swelling.  I have a big lump on my right pec, he seen it right away, grabbed it and told me it was scar tissue, I thought it was swelling but turns out it's a big hunk of scar tissue, gets smaller every day though ;)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024