Author Topic: Surgery with Mr Levick on 7th November  (Read 6960 times)

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Usual story, had man boobs since my teenage years, and just finally had enough of wearing baggy tops, trying not to get changed in front of my girlfriend, pinching my nipples constantly to try and make them look more like pecs and less like boobs, etc etc - sure it's the same for me as for everyone else.

Had my pre-op consultation with Mr Levick on Monday 21st October, and am booked in for the surgery on 7th November at 8am.

I doubt I'm going to be saying anything here that isn't already covered on the board, but just though I'd start a thread to cover my experiences, in case it helps anyone. I think it might also be a good outlet for me running up to the operation and then feeding back afterwards.

For some reason, I don't want to post "before" pics until I've had the operation, as still embarrassed about how I look. I'm hoping that feeling will go once the man boobs do!

Also, with other operations I've had (knee reconstructions from football injuries) I remember getting more and more nervous leading up to the date of the op, whereas at the moment, I can't wait for next Thursday to arrive. Did anyone else feel like that? Do the nerves ever come, or as it's for something you've hated for half your life, is it just a nicer experience as you're looking forward to it?

Thanks for any replies.

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Hey Simba, you've picked a good surgeon! I had surgery with Levick on the 24th and almost felt more excited than nervous! Obviously there was some apprehension prior to going I to surgery but the hour and a half beforehand is so busy with nurses coming in etc that you almost forget what is going to happen. On the walk down to the operating theatre you're wearing some sexy paper pants, stockings and a gown. Once in the pre theatre room Dr Levick came in to take some pics and mark me up. I then lay down on the bed and the Canula was inserted which did the hurt too much. Then the magic starts to happen  and you feel the anaesthetic rushing through your body. I remember saying will I fall asleep soon and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room with an oxygen mask on. I felt claustrophobic with this one  amd they soon got it off me and wheeled me back to the room

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Thanks Vesuvius.

Were you the first one not to have drains? Do you know if you were a guinea pig so to speak, or is Mr Levick now not using drains full stop?

How's the recovery going?

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Hey Simba, yep I was the first to try the no drains approach and the new binder garment (as opposed to the elastoplast bandages used  in the past) - Dr Levick referred to me as his pioneer! It seems to have gone well and I have just sent him an update with pics. He said to me that the drains approach was out of date and that he would prefer to use the fibrin spray from now on so hopefully all you guys with upcoming gyno surgery won't have to endure the drains!

Recovery is ok thanks - I've just been reading, watching TV and being given lazy really. Sleeping at night is the worst part as my back doesn't like it so I end up sleeping almost upright! I feel fine in myself, a bit tired but that's probably more as a result of having done nothing active for a while. I've got some black know bruising where the binder does not cover (around my armpit area) and I can feel the cuts but nothing worse than if you fell over and cut your knee or arm, etc. Taking Arnica every two hours and plenty of pineapple juice! I can't believe I'm the other side of surgery now after having puffy nipples for so long. The day before surgery I was looking at them in the hotel mirror and that moment compounded my decision to have them removed - they were really dictating how I lived and what I wore, etc.

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Be interesting to find out if he's switched for everyone now then, or just trialling the no drains on a few to start with.

Did you still stay overnight? As I thought the main reason for staying overnight was because you had to have your drains out in the morning?

Yeah not looking forward to the sleeping on your back part. I've never been able to sleep like that, always have to be on my side, so think that will be the hardest part for me.

How long is it until you can change how you sleep?

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Yep I stayed in overnight. To be honest I'm glad I did as I felt pretty groggy until around 7pm and didn't eat until then. However as the evening went on I became more alert and didn't sleep again until around 3.30am. The nurses came in throughout the afternoon to check on me and were so helpful in the night with things like getting drinks, moving the duvet for me or disconnecting the leg pumps so I could go to the loo. Before the op I was dreading the hospital stay but it was actually totally fine. I guess being a private patient and not being in the cattle market of the NHS makes a big difference!

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
What time did you get to the hospital then?

I'm getting there for 8am, so from your posts, should be operated on around 9:30am?

My girlfriend is coming with me, and the hospital do an option of another bed in the room, and all meals/drinks included for 75 quid. We've gone with that option, as I'd rather have someone with me to be honest, and didn't like the idea of her leaving the hospital late at night and getting to the car, then getting to a hotel and out the other end on her own.

At least you get sky tv etc and your own room if you can't sleep? Must be better than being stuck on a standard NHS ward with nothing to do and insomnia!

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
I got a taxi from the ibis close to the station at 7.30 and was at the hospital about five mins later. I probably waited ten mins and was then shown to my room just before 8 I think. I waited watching TV for a while and then someone came in and went through the food menu with me. After this various nurses came in to do checks and to get me to sign all the paperwork. Dr Levick came in at around 9 and we had a good chat and he explained about not using the drains and the different garment. A nurse told me to put my hospital clothes on but I got distracted texting my Gf and then at about 9.50 she came in saying they were ready for me in theatre! So I had to rush getting changed and then was walked down to the operating theatre. I think I was asleep pretty much bang on ten as I remember looking at the clock when the Canula went in and was told the op took 40 minutes. Amazing really! I was back in my room before 12.

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Great stuff, thanks for the info.

I emailed Mr Levick and he said he should be using the spray for my operation too, so no drains either.

So you were awake from 12pm until 3:30am the following morning? Or did you sleep a bit in the day? Long time to stay awake otherwise mate.

Do they mark you up in your room or in the pre-op room? As my girlfriend will be in the room with me, and I know it sounds pathetic, but I don't want her to see me getting marked up around my chest, when I've spent so long trying to hide it from her.

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Nope I was asleep on and off from post op until around 7 in the evening. Then I was awake from 7 until about 3.30am! Then I slept until 6.30, watched TV until 8, had a great breakfast and was discharged at 11.

And I was marked up in the prep room before going into the operating theatre. This is like an ante room attached to theatre and you will have photos taken in here, as well as the marking up and the anesthetic injected. Then you are wheeled into theatre, then the recovery room, then  finally back to your room!!

Hope that gives you the assurance you're after - you're gf will not see you being marked up!

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Thanks a lot mate, that's great.

I really appreciate all your information.

How are you finding your recovery? Everything going okay? Are you pleased with the results so far too?

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Hey Simba, if you look at the thread I started can you see the pics? I posted them last night but I'm not sure they are visible. Would appreciate if you could let me know! There should be four of them...

Anyway, recovery is going ok thanks. I've just had a shower and couldn't wait to get my vest back on! It may sound strange  up I feel really vulnerable without it on!

My cuts are healing nicely and so small. Honestly, I really have to look hard to see them so I highly doubt anyone will ever notice them on me.

My haematoma is draining itself thankfully and Dr Levick doesn't seem concerned about this as he says a small amount of blood and swelling can look far worse than it is. I'm quite bruised (currently yellow highlighter colour!) but I'm not bothered about that. I've been taking Arnica and am still on a litre of pineapple juice a day but will stop with that today as I fear severe weight gain otherwise!

It's tricky getting the tshirt I wear under my Compression vest on and a tad painful but certainly do-able. My chest feels tender and sensitive but again it's no probs so long as I am careful with my movements. So far nothing post op makes me wish I hadn't had surgery. On the contrary, I'm soooo glad I've had it done.

I'm back to work on Monday. Since getting home I've spent the days on the sofa reading, listening to music, watching dvds and stuff like that. It's been fine and pretty relaxing tbh! I went for an hours walk yesterday and had to go slower than usual as otherwise the movement made my chest ache a bit. It was good to be out! One thing I would point out is that Dr Levick advised moving around and not spending days on end in bed doing nothing. I've followed this advice and have been walking round the house and garden a fair bit so I am maintaining movement.

Also, now the binder garment is off I am sleeping much better and even managed a bit on my right side last night. The left is more painful for some reason so I'm avoiding lying on this side for now.

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
Nice one. Weird to think you're just 2 weeks ahead of me. be interesting to see if we both have a similar recovery.

Hope it all continues to go well for you.

Offline Vesuvius

• Posting Member
Hey Simba, we will have to swap recovery stories once you're done. This time last week I was en route to Birmingham with the op looming over me the next day! How time flies! Binder is going back on tonight as my Compression vest isn't tight enough - following Dr Levick's advice. Bang goes a good night's sleep!!

Offline Simba78

• Posting Member
How come your vest isn't tight enough? Is it too big for you? Mine is pretty tight to be honest, so hopefully should be okay.

Yeah I'm counting down the days now - I know it sounds dumb but today I was thinking "Last Friday of my life where I'll have to put up with this" - touch wood!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024