Author Topic: New. Chances of getting it done n NHS?  (Read 2578 times)

Offline afrolawnmower

Hi, I'm 21 and have had gynecomastia since my teens. I went to see a doctor when i was 16 about it and she said that "there was nothing there" even though i obviously have breast tissue. I waited a few years hoping that it would go away and i think its size has varied over the last year or two (smaller, then larger, then smaller again). Odd :)

I'm looking into getting it removed surgically. I've just graduated , so going down the NHS is really my only option. Also seems to make more sense since someone on this thread (sorry i forget the name) mentioned that we pay our taxes for the NHS so we might as well use it :)

What i really want to know is, what are is the likely hood of me getting this done on the NHS. Should i emphasize how it's affected my mentally and personally?

Also, what geographical areas of the UK bring the best results in regards to getting treated on the NHS? Could any body recommend any doctors who have treated them ?

Any information would be most appreciated. I apologize for barrage of questions :)

Thanks

Heres a picture

Offline bedders

• Posting Member
Theres so way your get that done on the NHS, the case is not severe enough. Sorry mate :( Your either going to have to save or borrow more money. Its definately got to be worth borrowing if it really affects you.

Offline RRB

• Gold Member
  • I am here to help
Agreed, I would be amazed if you got the NHS to perform surgery.
Surgery performed by Mr Paul Levick, 17/02/05. I am here to help.

Offline gynomakesmesad

• Bronze Member
From what I have read, even if the case is very severe the NHS just do Lipo anyway, which to be honest to alot of people isn't much good at all unless you are just very overweight.

I know it's not very fair but it's the way it is.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 05:59:47 AM by gynomakesmesad »

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
Yes you  looklike you have  a minor case of glandular gyne, it isn't bad but it must be affecting you if you are on this site.

It will be very difficult to get this done on the NHS. As it looks glandular as opposed to fat they will need to do a surgical incision to get it out.I think unless the gland would pose a physical health risk to you  they will not do it. They tend to look at severe cases only for cosmetic reasons and even then in my experience you will have to jump through several hoops and generally be messed around.Mine is a mild-moderate case of gland and fat and they are very reluctant to do it .

Even so it might be worth going to the doc to get it checked out and see what he has to say as funding tends to vary by area.I think though as others have said you may have to pay   it if it is bothering you that much.  I live in the Essex area and funding apparently is very tight for any cosmetic prcedure, that is what I was told anyway. Don't know about other areas.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 06:24:19 AM by Worrier »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024