Author Topic: After effects of general and post-op pain levels?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
Hi,

I'm having surgery soon, and oddly the thing that I seem to be worrying about most is the general anaesthetic. I've never had one before. My surgery is due to last 1.5hrs. How will I feel when I wake back up? Will there be nausea and grogginess? How long will this last, an hour, 5 hours? 24 hours?

Also just how much pain will I be in during the hours and days following?

I know I shouldn't worry about this stuff, I guess I just want to make sure that I know what to expect...

Offline FlatAsAPancake

• Bronze Member
When I woke up I was just really sleepy, no sickness or anything where I have felt sick previous times. In terms of pain there was none whatsoever, they give you morphine anyway so you won't feel a thing.

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply FlatAsAPancake that's reassuring. I've read so many different accounts, some people vomiting and "feeling brain damaged" for a few hours, drifting in and out of deep sleeps uncontrollably. Kind of freaked me out. I guess it's highly subjective, so I'll just have to see...

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Thanks for the reply FlatAsAPancake that's reassuring. I've read so many different accounts, some people vomiting and "feeling brain damaged" for a few hours, drifting in and out of deep sleeps uncontrollably. Kind of freaked me out. I guess it's highly subjective, so I'll just have to see...

Everyone is different. I pretty much went through what you just described (minus the brain damaged part). I was drifting in and out of sleep for 7-8 hours after surgery, couldn't swallow my lunch and ended up vomiting it all up.

That being said, going through the above doesn't mean you're in any danger, your body is just readjusting thats all. You're on the ward, there are nurses (and if needs be doctors) constantly checking up on you.  My biggest fear was not waking up from surgery! Even that was completely irrational but it was still playing at the back of my mind.

I also have felt no pain since surgery 3 months ago, just some tightness.

Gynaecomastia surgery in the field of surgery is a very simple and safe procedure. You're in the hands of the most experienced surgeon and even if the worst were to happen they have intensive care facilities on site.

Its natural to feel apprehensive,  you'll be fine.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Btw I just realised I assumed you were going to have surgery with Mr Levick at The Priory. Where are you having it done?

Also to answer your other question re how long do the effects last, they make you sign a form saying you won't drive for 48hrs from surgery, so I guess theoretically the after effects could last that long although from what I've read on this forum,  I dont think anyone on here was still feeling side effects the day after surgery.

Offline bob1234

• Posting Member
Thanks Achilles. Reassuring words. Yeah you assumed correctly I am scheduled in with Levick in a few days :s.

My biggest fear was not waking up from surgery! Even that was completely irrational but it was still playing at the back of my mind.

Yep, I've been thinking exactly the same!  :-\ hehe. But you are totally right, if I'm worrying about that, I might as well be worrying about taking a flight, probably higher odds.

I also have felt no pain since surgery 3 months ago, just some tightness.
That's good. I'm most concerned on that level with things like tingling and sharp stepping pain from the never being severed. I had a minor op on my finger a few years ago which severed the nerve, and it's never been quite the same since. Most of the time I don't notice it, but if I think about it and rub my other finger along it, it feels weird and pins and needley. Is it the same with the nipples or chest in general? If so, is this for life?

Offline FlatAsAPancake

• Bronze Member
I have experienced some pins and needles in my chest but that is purely the nerves in my chest coming back to life. My chest is still a little numb but it doesn't feel strange if that makes sense?

With regards to not waking up... If someone were to not wake up if is usually because of underlying medical conditions.

Offline AchillesUK

• Silver Member
Yes I've experienced intermittent pins and needles too, although not painful. 3 months from surgery and I would say sensation in my chest is 70%. My nipples still have no sensation. To be honest I was willing to sacrifice sensation in the area permanently if it meant no more gyne.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024