Author Topic: Is this Gyno?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline James888

I assume I have Gyno. I've always had man boobs from an early age and then once I reached my 20's I put on a lot of weight and got up to about 110kg. I'm 177cm tall. In my late twenties I went on a fitness campaign and lost about 30kg. I currently weight about 85kg and for the last 2 years have hovered between 83 and 85kg. I did at one stage during my dieting phase get down to 78kg which I think is close to normal range for my height on BMI but still then my man boobs didn't change much from what they are now.

Am I best to lose more weight and get back to the 70's before surgery would help? I'm very fit at the moment and run about 20-30km a week and it frustrates me that I'm a faster runner than most of my peers and can run 5km in under 20mins but have a chest like this.

I assume the answer is yes I have gyno as weight loss hasn't made much difference. I'm in Melbourne, Australia so looking for recommendations. I'm happy to travel if there is better options interstate or overseas. Not really concerned about the cost as this is something I'm going to shop around for.

Cheers,
James

hammer

Yes, I would say you have gynecomastia, and if money is no problem then surgery will be the answer, but I can't recommend anyone in your area.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
You can lean forward and form a crease under your breasts.   Some of us stand tall and bend over backwards in an attempt to get rid of the same crease without success.

Yes you do have a minor case of Gynecomastia.   Unless it is causing major problems with your self image, your money might be better spent on something else.

About 1/3 of all men have the condition.  It is not actually an abnormality, but quite normal.  It can be a source of embarrassment, but rarely is there a true physical problem.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Your story of gaining and losing weight and still having residual gyne is very common.  Once breast tissue is established on the chest, it doesn't respond to weight fluctuations -- it has to be surgically removed.

In the previous posts, respected contributors have voiced their opinions -- in essence, live with it if you wish.  On the other hand, if it is a constant source of frustration for you, then surgery by an expert in gyne surgery would be your best choice.  There is no rush -- do your homework and consider traveling to secure that expertise.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Askone

• Posting Member
I gained a lot of weight in my 20's too, and had gyno from puberty, which worsened with the weight gain.

As I lost weight (dropped some 45lbs) the breasts remained.

Surgery was needed to remove and can honestly say was the best thing I ever did.

Offline James888

Thanks all for the reply's. Yes I have lived with it but it is a constant cause of frustration and embarrassment when at the beach/pool, etc. I think its time to do the homework and look into the surgery.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024