Author Topic: Surgery Mr Levick 6th August 2015 + Pics  (Read 2596 times)

Offline sometimesuk

• Bronze Member
  • EXERCISE MACHINES - PUNISHMENT FOR EATING TOO MUCH
Hi guys. I’ve had surgery with Dr Levick on the 6th August thought I’d highlight my own observations that may not have been covered elsewhere.

Dr Levick Retirement

For those worried about his retirement. Dr Levick has documented his technique and I believe is familiarising another surgeon (Mr Vijh) in it - See attached scan. Mr Vijh was present during my procedure, so I can only assume he was taking notes and intends to offer this procedure to his clients. Whether he’ll adapt the technique to suit his own preferences, I don’t know.

Travelling up and returning home

I travelled up alone, catching the train up the night before with taxi’s for the rest of the journey. My advice would be to travel light as possible, it’s only an overnight stay not a holiday. In hindsight my wheelie travel case was too big and heavy, carrying up the train stations steps on the way home, wasn’t exactly pleasurable when you’re feeling tired.  
If you’re like me don’t expect too much sleep the night before, especially in an unfamiliar hotel bed.

Hospital staff

All hospital staff was friendly and professional. All the nurses knew what procedure I was having. At first this made me uneasy but then realised they have seen it all before and no need to be embarrassed. They were the ones engaging me in conversation about it and how it will make a big difference afterward.

Basic order of events:

• Arrive at hospital – shown to room by Porta
    • Nurse visits to take blood pressure, heart rate, temperature and measure for compression socks.
    • Anaesthetist visits to ask questions on general health, medication and when you last ate or drank.
    • Mr Levick visits to say hello, quick chat, answer any questions and sign a few forms.
    • Get change into gown and wait to be shown into operating theatre by nurse.
    • Walk to operating theatre waiting room, meet Mr Levick and Mr Vijh (observing) – takes some photos
    • Meet Anaesthetist and his assistant. Lay on bed, insert needle in left hand, inject you and in less than 20 seconds you’re out for the count!
    • Woke up in recovery room, with vitals taken again (bloody pressure, heart rate etc)
    • Taken to room - Nurse Visits every hour or so to take vitals.
    • Your connected to two noisy machines. One to cool pads on your chest, another to inflate / deflate pads attached to your legs.
    • Meals delivered to room (decent quality). TV and Wifi also in room.
    • Mr Levick visits (same day as op) just to check up on you
    • Next day – Breakfast, Mr Levick visits have more of a chat about the op and recovery.
    • Anaesthetist visits just to see how you are feeling
    • Nurse visits – changes dressing to “stab” wound, gives medication
    • Left to get ready and leave when you’re able.

Personalised experience

I was so concerned about the risk with General Aesthetic so my last real meal was on Tuesday 5.30pm (surgery on Thursday morning) because I wanted to make sure I was properly starving, although I did succumb to a bit of Tiffin cake at 11.30am Wednesday at Costa, before catching my train.

This long period did raise a few eyebrows by the anaesthetist and his assistant. I knew this was longer than the minimum starving period but I didn’t want to take any risks.

Okay, so now the interesting bits….after having the general anaesthetic I woke up in the recovery room, feeling tired, rough and completely out of it. A nurse took my vitals and asked how I was feeling (my heart rate was higher than before). My right rib felt a sore so she gave me some oral (liquid) morphine. Be warned this makes you feel sick, leave a horrible taste in your mouth for hours and you lose your appetite.

I was held in the waiting room for about 40mins while coming around and waiting for Mr Levick, he was concerned about bleeding that occurred on my right side. Once he came he took a quick peep, said he was happy and I was taken to my room.

Once in my room, I started drinking loads of water (at least 2 / 3 jugs) as I hadn’t drunk much the day before and subconsciously I was worried that I might not be able to pee. When lunch arrived, I wanted to get up and go to the loo, but the nurse said no, saying my eyes were still spaced out. He offered a bottle but I refused.

I took one bit from the sandwhich and felt sick, but I soldered on thinking I needed the energy as I haven’t eaten for a while.  It sort of worked but I still felt very tired and rough. An hour later, I managed to persuade the next nurse to let me use the loo. She was very cautious, asking me to sit up on the bed first, and then stand up for a while, asking if I felt dizzy in case I fainted. After all that effort, I still couldn’t go!

When I got back to my bed, I felt really rough, I sat on the end of the bed, and was sick (mostly water) into a paper bowl. Nurse came in told me to rest, I managed to have a kip for about two hours, afterward the nurse said I looked a lot better. Moral of the story…take it slow and easy.

I had dinner and at some point in the evening I managed to go to the loo, what a relief (mentally). After that my body had its payback I was literally up every 2 hours during the night pissing like a race horse!

At night to go to the loo, I had to disconnect myself from the cooling machine / pads on my chest. The nurses could have done this, but the machine was literally one button operation, with a push lock fitting for the connection noses.

The machines are very nosy and you won’t get much sleep. Luckily I've had noise cancelling headphones which blocked out about 90% of the noise. I would recommend using ear plugs too (these only reduce noise level not eliminate it) so I recommend both. I still didn’t get any sleep as I wasn’t too comfortable in a strange bed and the noise of the machines. At about 6am I managed to get about 2 hours kip through pure exhaustion.

Results and recovery.

Apparently I was in the large category and healing will take longer. I‘ve been told full recovery takes about a year. I’ve been told to avoid anything that would get my heart rate up for at least a month to avoid bleeding, with no gym sessions for about 6 – 8 weeks at least.

I’m not in any pain, although the area does feel a bit swore. Going to sleep is a bit of a pain, as I’m an unsettled sleeper anyway, often turning over. I can’t sleep on my back, so found it easier to let myself fall onto my side and push myself upright with my arms when needed.

Be warned your mobility is reduced after surgery. I’m finding it difficult to raise my arms past shoulder height, so even getting a bowl from the cupboard is a pain. Although physically possible, you don’t want to risk opening up the stab wounds beneath your arms, as for some reason these are not stitched up.

Overall I'm happy with the results, but let’s face it, it could hardly get worse. I’ve been lurking here for the best part of 15 years so I know recovery will take time. The surgery is done now and all I can do is just rest and hope for the rest.  

My main concern is that my nipple level has fallen below the muscle line, and is sitting on my rib cage. I don’t think it is, it just on the outer edge of the muscle and in a different position from that originally. Until the swelling goes down I won’t know, but in any case it’s better than before.

My advice

Get the surgery done ASAP, get a loan if you have to. I’m 32 now and wish I had to op done years ago. I personally feel this condition has held me back from a self-confidence and relationship point of view and I’m now of the view that the money spent to get those years of my life back would have been well worth the money, seriously you can’t get time back.

I’ve had the money for at least five years, but had been waiting until the ideal time to get it done – when I’ve lost a lot of body fat, as I know you get better results from surgery. This was never realistic, as the more weight you lose the more self-conscious you become, and personally I would get to a milestone and relax. The news of Mr Levick retiring was the pushing point, plus I was getting seriously depressed about the direction my life was / wasn’t going because of this condition.

Anyway, on the road to recovery now.

Offline 30psi

• Posting Member
This is seriously so awesome to read, what a transformation!! I'm just about to turn 22 and Dr. Levick's retirement has pushed me into taking action so I've booked a consultation. Mixed feelings at the moment but being true to myself I just want it to go away, I can imagine you felt the same. Thanks for sharing

Offline Charlie33

• Bronze Member
Fantastic results mate, you've got to be pleased with that!

Offline Stan19

• Bronze Member
Great result congrats. Great post thanks. 

Offline ggnail

• Posting Member
I was in just a day before you! Left Priory 1pm on 6th on my own as well.
Wow great results. Really good. Keep compression on. 

Offline sometimesuk

• Bronze Member
  • EXERCISE MACHINES - PUNISHMENT FOR EATING TOO MUCH

Thanks for the comments; I thought I'd give a brief update:
Mobility is slowly getting better, but this is more directly related to the “stab” wounds healing. If I lift my arm above shoulder height this adds strain to the wound, so I avoid lifting my arms!
There is some minor swelling on my left side, which I’m not sure was there originally. The right side has slightly more swelling but I’m sure this is going down slowly. The vest is keeps slipping down and needs adjustments, but its definitely tight enough. If I slide my hand underneath I can feel the pressure and when I take the vest off to readjust, you can see marks on the side / top and bottom where the seam has cut into my skin. The top of my stomach must think its wearing a corset! Lol
The only real pain / tenderness is, if you can imagine a straight line from the stab wound to the nipple itself, on the edge of the chest muscle / slightly to the side. This is obviously the route the gland was removed. If I touch the area it feels swore and slightly concaved.
I’m not too worried about the shape of the chest and any indents, obviously the lower part of the chest will appear unusually flat compared to the upper part of the chest, but this is because all the fat has been removed there. I guess shape comes from the actual muscle, so see what it’s like in  a year time when I’m able to hit the gym again.  

Offline 8008LESS

• Bronze Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024