Author Topic: What's with Mr Levick and homeopathy?!!  (Read 3158 times)

Offline abbsynth

• Posting Member
I was reading all the posts re. Mr Levick who is undoubtedly a brilliant surgeon but does he really recommend Arnica?! I did a literature search on it, and oh boy....
Two main worries :
(1) Arnica is a HOMEOPATHIC remedy which various meta-studies have shown is totally ineffective (as has homeopathy in general) in the reduction of bruising and swelling, e.g. :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9820349
or http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/10582452.2014.883012?src=recsys
So whilst I have no problem spending £10 or so on a load of sugar pills, what worries me greatly is that his recommendation to use it shows a lack of commitment to controlled trials in particular and the scientific method in general.
(2) Also - from what I've gleaned from this forum he gives suggested doses in numbers of pills (from wherever) rather than concentration (which varies greatly from pill to pill).
I was almost about to pick the phone up and book an appointment before he retires but now have serious reservations. I don't care about taking useless pills but do care very much about the medical/scientific philosophy and understanding of someone who is going to knock me out and plunge surgical instruments deep into my abdomen.
Now, if this recommendation comes from the nursing staff, or a secretary and he just goes along with it for diplomatic reasons then fine, but if it is a deep belief of his that it works that worries me. What else does he use? Crystals? Laying on of hands?!
Anyone know the answer or got any thoughts?
Thanks
Paul

Offline Charlie33

• Bronze Member
Jeeez mate, chill :) I too researched it and read the pro's and con's. I took it as prescribed, purely post op ( now 18 days) and my bruising has totally gone. I think Dr Levicks results speak for themselves, as you can see by the hundreds of pictures and threads on here.

Offline ggnail

• Posting Member
I remember him clearly saying some people say arnica tablets help reduce bruising. He didn't say i believe in it or I recommend it. He said thesame about vitamin C. So invariably it's all down to personal choice. Please let's be careful in our analysis. He is a brilliant surgeon arnica or not!

Offline ggnail

• Posting Member
And its quite interesting that arnica is enough to make you question his work. A £10 pill? Are you really concerned about your gyne? 

Offline james66

• Posting Member
This is quite funny as I spoke to paul about it post surgery and he told me himself he wasn't really big into it and it was a herbal remedy. Could be a case of he has seen it could help so you may as well take it. The second he told me that it stopped taking it

Offline abbsynth

• Posting Member
James, ggnail
Thanks guys - this does put my mind at rest somewhat!
Interested in any other experience...
cheers
Peter

Offline 8008LESS

• Bronze Member
If Mr levick thinks it will be benificial to you then he'll advise you to take it. 
He's a pioneer and not afraid to do things his way and break the mold. 
That's why he's writing books and teaching other surgeons how to perform his technique. 

Offline kingboob

Your best bet is to phone him up and ask him, in my experience he is open and honest.  I would be surprised if he recommends anything that doesn't have an evidence base.  

Does he state Arnica tablets, because there are Arnica based gels and creams too, maybe he means patients can massage with those?  In any case it is far more important that you follow recommendations around alcohol intake and exercise before and after surgery. 

If you want surgery with Levick then you need to get a move on as he is retiring in 2 months.  Vik Vijh is taking over his practice.... apparently he does the gyne surgery using Levick's technique.

Best bet is to get a consultation and see if you feel comfortable.  

Offline thetodd

You'l find most surgeons will recommend arnica after the op, its a placebo but its been around for so long its just ingrained into post op care. Dont let that put doubt in your mind i got given it after my op years ago and took it for the sake of it.

try eating pineapple after the op/ getting pineapple juice as this supposedly helps with the swelling, made me feel better at the time anyway even if it is a placebo
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024