Author Topic: Help! Is this Gynecomastia? Im worried (pictures included)  (Read 4817 times)

Offline bodygoals100

Hello there! I'm a 17 years old male, 20-25% bodyfat (idk the exact) and I noticed I have some sort of puffy nipples. My other hormonal changes are appearing normally, I have deep voice, hairs on my arms and leg and penis. I am afraid that I might have gynecomastia. Please, see the attached images and tell me if this is gynecomastia. Or is it just fat?
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:56:20 PM by bodygoals100 »

Offline bodygoals100

Hello? Can Anyone help? I am thinking of having a surgery this christmas if I have gynecomastia. Thank you.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Minor, but yes. 
We have a lot of guys here who would kill for a chest like that. 
You must have money to burn to have surgery for that. 
Actually I should not have said that, but to be honest, I am a guy who, if given the money for breast reduction surgery, would go make a down payment on a sailboat.
Grandpa Dan

Offline bodygoals100

Minor, but yes.  
We have a lot of guys here who would kill for a chest like that.  
You must have money to burn to have surgery for that.  
Actually I should not have said that, but to be honest, I am a guy who, if given the money for breast reduction surgery, would go make a down payment on a sailboat.
Is this pseudo-gynecomastia or gynecomastia? And is it true that surgery for minor gynecomastia shouldn't cost as much as severe gynecomastia?Can this be slightly fixed by working out a lot in gym?

Offline bodygoals100

EDIT : I'm pretty sure I have gynecomastia by now. Can this picture be a positive assurance that I have gynecomastia? Is it severe?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, you have a mild case of gynecomastia with puffy nipples as well.  This will not respond to diet or exerccise -- you can try but be prepared to be disappointed.

Your choices are to wear a compression garment to provide a better contour.  Or, you can consider surgery to remove the excess tissue permanently.  If you do consider surgery, make sure you consult with a gynecomastia expert in your area -- or be prepared to travel for such expertise.

Just a thought:  many guys would be absolutely delighted to have a chest such as yours. Think long and hard before you take any action.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Some people don't believe pseudogynecomastia exists as a separate entity, but by definition it is the appearance of a female chest in a male due to fat in the breast area rather than true breast tissue.  It occurs most often in middle-aged men who have put on some extra weight.  
So yours would not be a case of pseudoG.  You have a mild case of gynecomastia that should be easily treatable with traditional surgery, if it bothers you that much.  And mild cases don't always translate to less expensive surgeries.  It depends on the surgeon, and many times a mild case or an asymmetric case can be more of a surgical challenge that a more severe case.
It would be prudent to get several opinions from qualified plastic surgeons who do a lot of this type of surgery.  Good luck!
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Sorry for my rather flippant first response. Sometimes the devil comes out. 
The definition I accept for Gynecomastia is: "Any increase in the size of a male breast such that it resembles a female breast." There is no such thing as Pseudo-Gynecomastia..  Even if there were, the treatment would be the same.

rrr

The definition I accept for Gynecomastia is: "Any increase in the size of a male breast such that it resembles a female breast." There is no such thing as Pseudo-Gynecomastia..  Even if there were, the treatment would be the same.

I must disagree. If 2 women look 8 months pregnant, one is, and the other is just fat, you could say the second one is "pseudo-pregnant", she just looks it, but really isn't. You sure as heck wouldn't say they were both pregnant.

Pseudo-gynecomastia is also usually preventable - true gynecomastia usually is not.

Yes, in the end, if a guy gets fat enough, the treatment options are the same, but if you never pack on the pounds, you will never have pseudo-g.

Bummed and my $0.02

LJ

Apples and oranges there.  You can be overweight, and not develop gynecomastia.  I see that a lot.  Only I found out firsthand pseudo can be as real as real gets.

rrr

Apples and oranges there.  You can be overweight, and not develop gynecomastia.  I see that a lot.  Only I found out firsthand pseudo can be as real as real gets.

I agree that any combination can exist. Some non-smokers get lung cancer and some smokers do not, however, smoking greatly increases the chances. I'm sure there are overweight people who do not get overly large breasts, but I'll bet they are still flabby.

Being overweight also increases the chances of breast tissue developing in addition to the fat deposits.

When it comes down to it, pseudo-G can be treated with lipo while true G cannot.

I guess I am just somewhat angry (bitter?) that I am of normal weight, don't do any drugs, and have normal blood work, yet I am growing a pair. I see so many pictures posted with guys freaking out over something only THEY would ever notice. Who the hell is going to notice puffy nipples - unless you're a professional body builder?

I'm sure I have a lot of growing to do still (hasn't been quite 2 years), and they are already blatantly obvious in most shirts. The other day my wife said she's seen other guys with as much, and I said "Yeah, fat guys." and she said nothing. :-(

Bummed vent.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
It would be indeed rare for a person to have glandular tissue and no fat. It would probably be equally rare to find fat and an absence of glandular tissue.   The usual finding is that there are both but the ratio is variable. At what percentage would you call it one way or the other?  And, How would you propose to determine the percentages without actually doing surgery? 
The term "Pseudo- Gynecomastia" has no place here.  For our purposes it does not exist. 

hammer

I'm with Dan on this one!

Somewhere within the forum there is a post written by one of the doctors who now I believe is retired about the makeup of a breast, and compares and male breast to a females breast. As I recall the article the difference of the two, comes down to, one is on a guy, the other is on a gal!

So the way I see this is, a breast is a breast, is a breast! Some are bigger, some are smaller, some are longer, some are rounder, while some may be more firm, while others are more soft! So that being said, some may have more breast tissue, and they others may have more fat!

Bob

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Perhaps I could chime on this discussion by referencing an article I wrote which is posted here on gynecomastia.org.  It may help with this discussion:
https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=27922.msg191037#new

Dr Jacobs

hammer

Dr. Jacobs, that isn't the post I was referring to, your post came after the one I was talking about, however, it fits! The post was about the makeup of the breast, if I recall correctly, and if memory serves me right the doctor that posted it is on the west coast.

Thanks
Bob

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024