Author Topic: Help with the NHS  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Jim6290

Hi im 25, live in england, 11 stone luckily never been over weight. Have never taken steroids and dont smoke or drink.
I have gyno really bad in my left nipple for around 2 years.
I been to the NHS twice and going back for the 3rd time soon. The 1st and 2nd time iv been subscribed 3 months worth of tamoxafin and the lump has always disapeared, however as soon as i finish the course of tamoxafin the lump always grows back after 2-3 weeks.
But enough is enough and as much as i respect and apretiate the NHS I would like them to do more. Im considering asking for surgery.
But i was wondering if any one could share any experinces of how to get the surgery on the NHS and if you have had the surgery how  did it go?

As i can also feel it may be suggest i may have to go private. So any help would be much apretiated thankyou. 

Offline dresta

• Posting Member
Wasting your time mate.  Just go private.  Its not life threatning so NHS dont care.  Just go private.  Thats what I did.  I enquired through NHS and they said nothing.

Offline dresta

• Posting Member
NHS is broke

Offline steveburns04

I did get referred to a breast surgeon eventually through the NHS, however he was very reluctant to do the surgery as he did not think I had a problem. The NHS only has enough for very severe cases which is understandable (otherwise everyone may ask for some sort of plastics procedure) so the best bet is to go private. It's a lot of money but if it is affecting you badly then consider it. 
You do hear some stories of people getting plastics procedures done on the NHS but these cases are few and far between. 

Offline jdb

• Posting Member
I am one of those who have been offered surgery on the NHS.  The female oncoplastic breast surgeon who saw me for a suspicious lump that turned out to be nothing, stood up in shock and blurted out, "You have breasts!" when she first examined me and then proceeded to offer me a double mastectomy.   I do have large breasts, see my picture https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=31004.0 but for reasons outlined in that post I turned her down.  Later she wrote to my GP confirming that she would be able to find funding to remove my breasts if I were ever to change my mind.

Offline MarcMCFC1986

• Posting Member
Don't waste your time!
I'm in the middle of a dispute with the NHS. I went in June 2013 having had Gynaecomastia for 14 years, the GP said to go for lots of blood tests to check my hormone levels etc and said that if it can't be rectified through hormone balancing pills, he'll put me in for surgery.
12 months of blood tests and they found nothing, so referred me to a surgeon who agreed to do the surgery. I was booked in for end of June 2014, went for my pre-op at Wythenshawe Hospital a week before the op...and 4 days before the surgery was supposed to take place I got a phone call to say they forgot to apply for funding so the surgery will be postponed.
I went to my GP to find out what the hell happened, and he said nobody asked him to apply for funding so he hadn't done it (who knew GP's needed their hand holding so much). He applied for the funding with me, and a few weeks later I got a letter saying the funding has been declined as my case wasn't severe enough! We appealed, and again, a few weeks later it was declined again - and then my operation was officially cancelled. 
I was absolutely mortified and no longer trust the NHS! I have since been in regular contact with my GP and the Surgeon to find out who should have applied for funding, why they didn't, and what they are going to do about it? All I've had since (nearly 3 year later) is a lot of finger pointing between the surgeon and the GP with claims that it wasn't their job to do it! My GP is also claiming that he never said I would be able to have surgery, and that it was just an option I should consider - even though I have a copy of the referral letter that he sent!
In short - don't waste your time with the NHS. If you don't have cancer, they don't give a shit about you.
Save up/get a loan and go private - that's what I did. Now just trying to claim back the money from the NHS!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024