Author Topic: What's the weather like at your place?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
One thing I can't help noticing is how quiet the lounge area of this forum is compared to others that I am active on!

One thing most of you probably don't realize is how much Aussies like to talk about the weather! 

Maybe this thread won't fly, but anyway, it's summer down here and it has been much cooler and wetter than average thanks to the effect of La Nina. I've barely had to water my tomato plants. That said, today was warm at 31 Deg. C (88 Deg. F) but we're expecting about 20mm (3/4 inch) of rain tomorrow and a cool weekend, before returning to hot weather late next week. 

What's it like at your place? :D

Offline Charlee

• Posting Member
7° F this morning, going for 38 this afternoon. Rain turning to snow later.
Happy to be busted.

Offline taxmapper

Starting off at 31F and moving upward. We haven't had alot of snow this year (New Mexico) but what has fallen is at least giving us something. its been cold (mid 20's F some days.) 

Hopefully we have a good dump this week, as we are expecting another snow storm this weekend with cooler temperatures. 
Then the upswing. 

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Hats off to all you guys who put up with such extreme differences between winter and summer. It's what you get used to I suppose. Coldest minimum temperature I have ever experienced here is -4.5 Deg.C (24 Deg.F) and it was a freak event. Our weather here is comparatively mild but it can be quite variable and it's not uncommon to experience 'four seasons in one day' sometimes.

Offline Passant

• Bronze Member
I got used to a lot of cold winters. It used to be up to 60 cm of snow (24 inch), 50 days on the ground with snow, temperatures below -15 °C (5F).
Unfortunately, times have changed. This is already the fifth winter to be warm and with very little or no snow. Temperatures are occasionally almost spring.
The summers became hot and steamy. I hope this is just a passing set up.

Today the spring temperature is 16 ° C (60.8 F)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:05:19 AM by becky »

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
It seems the British simply can't leave us alone.  Now they're sending their weather to us.  Now we're just getting English weather in the summer, and I can't work on my cars because it's constantly raining.  This actually used to be a fairly dry place.

Of course this also means I can't work on my cars in the summer anymore.  Now I have to leave almost everything for the winter, so I can contend with dust and low temperatures (spray painting doesn't work well in the cold) when I'm painting.

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
It seems the British simply can't leave us alone.  Now they're sending their weather to us.  Now we're just getting English weather in the summer, 
Blaming the Poms is a national pastime here! ;D

I can't believe how mild our summer has been so far. Although we're forecast to get a 33 Deg C (91 Deg F) day tomorrow, such temperatures have been rare this summer. All next week is forecast for just mid 20's (mid 70's). At least it has been comfortable at my non air-conditioned workplace!

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
I think it's the case in many countries.

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
For the last couple of days, stories about the cold snap in Texas have made it all the way to our news here. My knowledge of that part of the world is obviously lacking. I didn't even think snow was possible there! One report said that it's been colder there lately than in Alaska! 

Stay safe and warm, anyone who lives there.

Offline taxmapper

For the last couple of days, stories about the cold snap in Texas have made it all the way to our news here. My knowledge of that part of the world is obviously lacking. I didn't even think snow was possible there! One report said that it's been colder there lately than in Alaska!

Stay safe and warm, anyone who lives there.

im next door in NM.  We haven't had the problems but we do have the cold. 
I've been monitoring this carefully for days now. All I can say is prayers and God speed to everyone east of me. 

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Floods are occurring along the east coast of NSW. Although not uncommon, some areas are experiencing their worst conditions in 60 years. One town has recorded 18" of rain in four days! 

Even a house floated away:
NSW flooding: house swept away in flood waters in West Taree - YouTube

That reminds me of a similar event more locally, about 20 years ago. A family evacuated their farm to another property miles downstream. Their house also floated down the swollen river, and was deposited in the front paddock of the place that they were temporarily staying at! True!

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Third year in a row under the influence of La Nina. I'm very lucky to live where I do, we haven't been caught up in the recent devastating inland floods. 

Icy blast here today, a week into Summer and we have a forecast max of just 15 Deg C (59 Deg F). Very different to last Sunday when it reached 33.4 (92 F)! 

Busted (and happy)

Here in UK. First cold snap below zero at night expected to last around a week here. 
Sun coming here in East Midlands looks like being a pleasant day but max daytime forecast to be 1 Centrgrade

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
warm, 70.s overcast and foggy

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024