Author Topic: How do you feel about waking up during surgery?  (Read 9341 times)

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
Although rare it does happen where patients become aware at some time during General Anesthesia   :o

Most of the time the patient may hear music or the voices of doctors and nurses. Sometimes they will just feel presure. Other times they can even feel the pain of surgery.

In these cases there is no way to inform the doctors because the rest of your body is paralized from General.

From my research this problem seems to be more problem amoung women and people who are having trama surgery.

Does anyone remeber anything from there General Anesthesia?

Oh and please reassure me, having surgery in 10 days!

Offline desi

• Gold Member
i was talkin to the doc and did not even realize they doped me// ;)

after that iwoke up with bandages over my chest. tahts it. some discomfort for a few days. i was walking and buying t-shirts on day 4.

u will be good. whos ur doc by the way... ru goin for excision/lipo/both.

thx
Formerly, 'Fattgayee', as in 'Torn Apart' or more so 'I am Screwed' :)

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
Doctor Tuner http://www.winnipegcosmeticsurgery.com/

and I'm going for both.  I hope it turns out fine. Who was your doctor? and how bad was your case?

Offline desi

• Gold Member
gr8. i was operated in india. just lipo. my surgeon kept sayin i will do whatever it takes to make ur chest flat. only lipo does not entirely solve the problem. hope to get one more done. i have been to 4 docs. al of them say a lil bt more lipo shud be fine. i dont need excision. i think, if i dont need excision, then y was the problem not solved in the first go.

anyways, good luck to u .. keep us posted.. :)

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
Hey man do you think it could just be a weight problem? Since all the doctors think you just need lipo maybe it could just be some extra pounds? Personally I think  that I woulld only need excision if I dropped a few pounds. For me theres definatly a gland there under my nipples along with some fat on my chest.

Offline desi

• Gold Member
could be. my guess is, once u have fullness on the chest, it is defintely gland+fat. only the ratio differs. therefore, some docs prefer to go for lipo in case the gland is very small. sometimes thats the problem. my another guess is that during excision, the surrounding fat, to a certain degree, is pulled out. the remaining areas are liposuctioned for a better contour. so the best way to go abt the procedure is to get excision, since it targets the area right below the nips, and then the surrounding area is lipoed.

pls note, these r just random guesses and i maybe wrong. i guess it makes logical sense though.

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
Yup for me its definatly a excision problem. Good luck finding a doctor that suites you well. Keep us updated.

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello Allan

I was mostly anxious about general anaesthetic.  The anaesthetist was very reassuring.  He explained everything to me as he was doing it.  He placed a cannula into my vein in my hand.  He then injected a pain killer into me (I could not really feel anything).  He then began to inject the stuff in to knock me out.  I remember saying "I can feel tingling on the sides of my head".  I remember him saying "that's perfectly normal".  I don't actually remember switching form being conscious to unconscious.

What then seemed like quite literally a few seconds later was the anaesthetist tapping my hand to wake me up!  A very bizarre experience.  Having gone through this, I certainly would not fear it a next time.

Offline outertrial

This was a big deal in the UK about 15 years ago. I saw a documentary about a woman who had to go through a whole surgery fully conscious but paralysed. They didnt believe her until she could tell them everything they were talking about during the OP, then more cases began to come out.

If youre worried talk to the anesthetist and surgeon before hand, I know I will be!

Offline sadgyneguy

• Gold Member
  • Gyne transformed me into a living dead.
in my case, the doctor injected me something (i dont know what that is), then doc asked me "are you feeling sleepy?", before i answer, i was a little dizzy when i was injected, and i got asleep immediately and didn't have a chance to answer the doc's question   ;D

after that, i woke up with all the bandages and the fat they got from my chest on a container.
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did...

Dr Benjamin Herbosa's Contact Info (Dr Benny)

Offline Hypo-is-here

When you have had the number of operations I have this kind of thing just becomes second nature and you don't worry about it whatsoever.

It think it is probably something akin to soldiers in the field becoming less scared of what can happen.

On the day of my operation I wasn't in the slightest bit worried about anything...it felt as calm as going to the pub....

Interestingly when I had a major op that was 10 and a half hour to 11 hours long I was sedated on life support in intensive care and I once heard my family talking.

I heard my brother and mother say, "Well he can't hear us now so we might as well go and come back tomorrow".

I wanted them to stay but and I could hear them perfectly, but I couldn't move an eyelid never mind move an inch.

Months later I told them the story and they didn't believe that I could hear them until I told them what they were saying word for word.

You learn new crap every day I guess... ;D

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 02:17:51 PM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline johndoe

• Silver Member
Don't worry about waking up during anethesia. I've had a countless number of surgeries over the course of my life from sports and other injuries, plus my gynecomastia surgery and everytime went smoothly.

The anesthesiologist will start injecting you and you will feel some numbness where the needle is and you'll suddenly just close your eyes and fall asleep. Then you'll wake up in the recovery room and hopefully will have a flat chest and can start living a normal life.

Offline ELY_M

• Posting Member
  • my breasts are gone!
I remeber when I going to OP room #30 they put me on some stretcher. they started iv on me and i started laughing then sudden I went out. I woke up with flat chest.  
I had huge DD cups before my surgery.  

Offline Tired

• Bronze Member
I would gladly experience that pain for just above 1 hour, then the different pain i have felt socially for 10 years  ;)

Offline Blarneystoner

• Gyne sucks
Please, Jesus, make my gyne go away!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024